IGNORED

Jet Off To ?

Coombsy

Forgot him, that's one and counting so far then.

It's an unfair question EMB.

Over say the past 6 seasons our released players have largely consisted of players towards the end of their career; players which we caught on their way down. Our transfer strategy was such that we weren't going to have released players go on to better things: the established pro's will be heading further and further down or retiring meanwhile the kids were booted out before they got a chance in the team.

Had we had a different transfer strategy perhaps the results would be skewed. However, notwithstanding the above: Heaton certainly, Dean Gerkin certainly, that young lad up at Newcastle certainly, arguably Matthew Bates as Bradford finished above us last year. That's just off the top of my head.

However, when you think our released list over the past few years it includes the following: Hunt, Stewart, David James, Louis Carey, Jamie McCallister, Marvin Elliot, Stephen Pearson, Jody Morris, Ryan Taylor, David Clarkson.

The point I am making, and labouring, is I know you're trying to suggest 'trust the club, we rarely got it wrong before' but actually apart from a few with JET it is unchartered territory. We've not released players off the back of two years averaging one in three appearances (a number of cameo and sub appearances skews this and the record appears MUCH worse than it is), sub-30, coming towards his prime, who was trained at Arsenal and already has a national reputation. If we'd released a few more players like those you would not be asking your question as it wouldn't serve the purpose it currently does.

Archived