IGNORED

Fulham

Nogbad the Bad

Looking at Fulham's website I see they've got 40 players pictured in their 'First Team' section.

An example of the strength in depth BCFC will be up against at Championship level - Wolves are another example with 36 players - and perhaps an explanation of why Fulham may be willing to let an apparent asset like Matt Smith move on.

Fulham must have 20+ well paid professionals either out on loan or not involved in their match day squad every week, hardly a recipe for a contented dressing room or for forging a good spirit in the squad.

With the announcement of the retained list City's squad is just 17. Hopefully we'll get the 6/7 players in to make City competitive but we'll also maintain a determination to keep a manageable squad, almost every one of which is genuinely in contention for a place in the match day squad.

All credit to all concerned at City, the days of bloated squads at AG are thankfully in the past, but that's not the case at other less well managed clubs it seems.

I expect this determination to keep to a comparatively small but tightly knit and highly motivated squad, with the great team spirit that clearly engenders, to be hugely advantageous to City again next season.

Looking at Fulham's website I see they've got 40 players pictured in their 'First Team' section.

An example of the strength in depth BCFC will be up against at Championship level - Wolves are another example with 36 players - and perhaps an explanation of why Fulham may be willing to let an apparent asset like Matt Smith move on.

Fulham must have 20+ well paid professionals either out on loan or not involved in their match day squad every week, hardly a recipe for a contented dressing room or for forging a good spirit in the squad.

With the announcement of the retained list City's squad is just 17. Hopefully we'll get the 6/7 players in to make City competitive but we'll also maintain a determination to keep a manageable squad, almost every one of which is genuinely in contention for a place in the match day squad.

All credit to all concerned at City, the days of bloated squads at AG are thankfully in the past, but that's not the case at other less well managed clubs it seems.

I expect this determination to keep to a comparatively small but tightly knit and highly motivated squad, with the great team spirit that clearly engenders, to be hugely advantageous to City again next season.

I think its better having a small squad full of quality rather then a bloated squad, if we get injurys we can use the loan system, a small squad is easier to keep everyone happy and keeps the wage bill down as well,

Agreed - quality over quantity. But our squad definitely needs to be bigger next season. We were very lucky with injuries.

Imagine if we'd lost (say) Flint, Freeman and JET for a spell. That's a big void to fill and we just don't have sufficient numbers.

Id expect a squad of 25 or thereabouts come August.

Agreed - quality over quantity. But our squad definitely needs to be bigger next season. We were very lucky with injuries.

Imagine if we'd lost (say) Flint, Freeman and JET for a spell. That's a big void to fill and we just don't have sufficient numbers.

we lost agard and wilbraham for a long spell and managed,

we can again,

Any more than that could breed discontent,and I think we've been down that road before.

Agree Noggers. It was pretty depressing having the best part of 40 players, most of whom had absolutely no impact whatsoever, for a good while up until this season. 22-25 is a good number and will give us another option in all positions. We can always use the loan system too.

Hopefully we've seen the last of ridiculously huge squads at BCFC.

we lost agard and wilbraham for a long spell and managed,

we can again,

Through a very shrewd loan move which was fortunate. For every Smith there's an Agyemang :laugh:

To take a squad of 17/18 into the championship is asking for trouble. The league is tougher and there will be more Tue-Sat-Tue due to international breaks. Granted we lose the JPT games but I'd be very surprised if our squad next season is as small as it was this season.

Edit - I'd like to make it clear that I never want to see us with a squad of that size! As above, I think 22-25 is the sweet spot for squad harmony vs strength in depth.

Through a very shrewd loan move which was fortunate. For every Smith there's an Agyemang :laugh:

To take a squad of 17/18 into the championship is asking for trouble. The league is tougher and there will be more Tue-Sat-Tue due to international breaks. Granted we lose the JPT games but I'd be very surprised if our squad next season is as small as it was this season.

Edit - I'd like to make it clear that I never want to see us with a squad of that size! As above, I think 22-25 is the sweet spot for squad harmony vs strength in depth.

we went through a period of having to play about 15 games inside so we've coped with that, added to the fact we don't have to play when internationals are on, we don't enter the FA cup and we haven't got the Johnsons Paint trophy means we can manage our games better then this season,

If we have a squad of 18 who are all fantastic championship players then thats going to be good for us,

I don't think we can afford to have a big squad for two reasons,

1, it affect team spirit when players aren't involved (the finge players here got loaned out so they could play)

2. we can't compete finacially with other clubs in the championship as we don't have parashoot payments so we can't afford to be carrying players who are just squad players,

We need to use the loan market again as we did this season,

we went through a period of having to play about 15 games inside so we've coped with that, added to the fact we don't have to play when internationals are on, we don't enter the FA cup and we haven't got the Johnsons Paint trophy means we can manage our games better then this season,

If we have a squad of 18 who are all fantastic championship players then thats going to be good for us,

1, it affect team spirit when players aren't involved (the finge players here got loaned out so they could play)

2. we can't compete finacially with other clubs in the championship as we don't have parashoot payments so we can't afford to be carrying players who are just squad players,

Take your points on board but 6/7 players outside of the first 11 just is not enough. Get a couple of injuries at once and you can't even fill your bench.

I think we will use loans to some extent but I'd still be surprised if we enter the Championship with the same sized squad.

Complete faith in SC and KB though, no matter what.

Take your points on board but 6/7 players outside of the first 11 just is not enough. Get a couple of injuries at once and you can't even fill your bench.

I think we will use loans to some extent but I'd still be surprised if we enter the Championship with the same sized squad.

Complete faith in SC and KB though, no matter what.

it was enough to win league one,

we will play less games in the championship so should be enough again (start in the 3rd round of the FA cup and no paint trophy)

We currently have a squad of 17 fantastic League 1 players.  We are yet to see if that same squad perform at Championship level.  

I agree that we need 6 - 8 new players.  Ideally they will all have experience of the Championship (or even Premier League if we are talking loanees).

That would give a squad of 23 - 25.  A core of the promotion side who we know get on so well, plus some experience and talent more used to the higher level.

Or you could say for every Steve Cotterill who can play the loan market, there's a Gary John who can't.

it was enough to win league one

We're not in league one anymore, Toto! :)

What if we do well in both cups? What if we get 3 or 4 injuries to key players? What if a couple of new additions are internationals, increasing their chances of injury?

You need adequate cover in all positions. A squad of 17-18 players doesn't give you that. We got relatively lucky this season with staying major injury free.

Or you could say for every Steve Cotterill who can play the loan market, there's a Gary John who can't.

Haha yes there is that! But all loans carry a risk. Of course utilise the loan market to strengthen and add depth, but the ideal situation is having a player in your squad who is bought into the vision/ethos of the club, rather than a loaner who just wants a bit of game time.

Again I'm not advocating a squad of 30+. I just don't think 17/18 is enough for a championship campaign.

We're not in league one anymore, Toto! :)

What if we do well in both cups? What if we get 3 or 4 injuries to key players? What if a couple of new additions are internationals, increasing their chances of injury?

You need adequate cover in all positions. A squad of 17-18 players doesn't give you that. We got relatively lucky this season with staying major injury free.

thats what the loan market and transfer window is for,

most of the current squad is imo good enough for the championship, If I was in charge I would sign 5 or so players and look to offload wagstaff, reid, el abd, burns, osborne,

most of the current squad is imo good enough for the championship, If I was in charge I would sign 5 or so players and look to offload wagstaff, reid, el abd, burns, osborne,

We currently have 17 players. So you're suggesting we offload 5 and buy 5, giving us....17.

So first XI plus 6? That's just completely unrealistic. 2 or 3 injuries (when the loan window is shut) and you're down to 14-15 players.

Why on earth would we look to offload the likes of Waggy and Osborne, who have proved they are decent sorts and could certainly do a useful job in the short term when we only have 16 or 17 players at present?

With the exception of El-Abd we need to add to the squad now, not reduce it further.

Because we had Smith & JET........ neither are here anymore....

We need quality AND quantity

thats the point we brought smith in on loan because of the injury,

we can do that again, why sign someone on 5k a week to just sit on the bench and only be used in case of injury?

Because we had Smith & JET........ neither are here anymore....

We need quality AND quantity

we can do that again, why sign someone on 5k a week to just sit on the bench and only be used in case of injury?

Because he might only be on the bench for a couple of weeks then have to play the rest of the season?

then use the loan market, it keeps our wage bill down and our transfer outlay down

The loan window isn't always open and you can't pre-plan who gets injured and for how long.

It's a complete misjudgement to always assume there is a suitable loanee available at a moment's notice. There's no two ways about it - we need to increase the current number of players on the books and I've no doubt that'll happen.

We obviously need to strengthen and to have a larger squad.

Where I get slightly confused is that if we go out and buy several highly talented, possibly expensive players- we cannot possibly give them all a first team place- if we can, who are going to be dropped?

So we spend big money on someone "who needs regular first team football" yet are warming the bench and not getting on every match other than a late substitute. ( can you guess where I'm going with this?)

So why the hell not just have kept hold of Jet?

I think we'll sign about 7 players taking us up to 24, then we'll loan out Reid, Burns and possibly Wagstaff and try to get rid of El Abd taking us down to a strong squad of 20, that's what I'd do anyway :).

We can always use the loan market or recall someone who's out on loan if we start getting short on numbers.

then use the loan market, it keeps our wage bill down and our transfer outlay down

I hear this argument sometimes, but as a fan I really don't care how big our wage bill is or our transfer spend. If SC and SL identify that we have money to spend and suitable transfer targets, I really don't care how much it costs.

Archived