IGNORED

Darren Bent

BS30 Reds

I know that both Bent and Tom Ince scored a few goals for Derby, but am I the only one who thinks their form suffered after they signed these two on loan? Prior to that they looked like dead certs and had a great team spirit. I felt these two, although scoring plenty, upset their team rhythm.

I know that both Bent and Tom Ince scored a few goals for Derby, but am I the only one who thinks their form suffered after they signed these two on loan? Prior to that they looked like dead certs and had a great team spirit. I felt these two, although scoring plenty, upset their team rhythm.

Can't disagree with that at all. That's actually my biggest concern about our Summer recruitment. Last year Cotts brought in 6/7 new players and had a 100% strike rate with them being successful and fitting into and building a great team spirit. Can he do it 2 summers in a row? Our success this year was in large part down to team spirit. It would be so easy for one wrong signing to upset that. But in Cotts we trust.

No you're not mate. I sat there watching the game last week with my old man and said exactly the same.

Obviously can score at Championship level, but cannot imagine we'd be able to afford him.

Imagine that if we're going for a veteran striker they'll not be so 'high-end' in terms of wages, or will be a fair bit younger with some possible resale value.

Obviously can score at Championship level, but cannot imagine we'd be able to afford him.

Imagine that if we're going for a veteran striker they'll not be so 'high-end' in terms of wages, or will be a fair bit younger with some possible resale value.

I don't think we'll go for a veteran, we've already got one.

Good point.

Likes of Bradshaw or similar does seem more likely.

Too right.

If we were able to get Matt Smith, Tom Bradshaw would be the ideal other striker signing, young, plenty of potential and cheap in terms of fee and expected wages.

Why is everyone laughing at the original poster? He clearly qualified his original statement by saying he isn't what we should be looking at.

Everyone isn't. A few at the start did, the rest are having discussion as far as I can make out.

I don't think we'll go for a veteran, we've already got one.

Good point.

Likes of Bradshaw or similar does seem more likely.

With talk of him being on 40k 60k how can we even think of the likes of him coming to us.

He would have to fit into our wage structure so Bradshaw would prob be a realistic shout.

How Bournmouth get on in the prem will be very interesting and if they do ok maybe the

likes of us and others can take note and bring this stupid wage spiral under control.

I can see more young hungry for success lower league players with real potential to improve wanting to come to us (like Bradshaw)

so IMO that will be the way to go.

You could be right, but I think it has more to do with losing Lee Martin to long term injury. I watched them a few times this year, and he was vital to their play. They tended to play 1 up front and Martin was excellent at holding up the ball and bringing others into play. Bent is clearly not that sort of striker.

I think if Derby went for a more like for like replacement rather than big name (Matt smith maybe??) then less adapting would be required and fewer changes to the system allowing the players to continue doing what had brought them success early in the season.

You could be right, but I think it has more to do with losing Lee Martin to long term injury. I watched them a few times this year, and he was vital to their play. They tended to play 1 up front and Martin was excellent at holding up the ball and bringing others into play. Bent is clearly not that sort of striker.

I think if Derby went for a more like for like replacement rather than big name (Matt smith maybe??) then less adapting would be required and fewer changes to the system allowing the players to continue doing what had brought them success early in the season.

Chris Martin - but yeah he was a big miss.

Lee Martin is a lot worse and plays for Millwall (or is an awful ex-gas defender)

I've only seen Bradshaw twice, first time at Wembley and he went missing, second time in the 8-2 mauling and he had a decent first half but went missing again in the second half - mind you, so did all his team mates.

He seems to get a lot of plaudits so I'm assuming he had a couple of off days against us.

I'd also like to see Matt Smith back here, he's much more than just a gurt big unit to lump the ball at - and theres a lot more to come from him as well.

Think he was carrying an injury at Wembly. Didn't look fit to me. He would probably do well with a good defence behind him.

Be a good signing if he did not demand such a high wage. He would probably demand more than what freeman and co are on or will be on and that wouldnt be right to give him that.

Archived