IGNORED

How Big Should We Try To Be?

where's the joy

i disagree there mate Bristol is the one of the the biggest football cities in the country it has the largest amount of amateur leagues in the country per % of population! It's just that they would rather play than watch!

Because to date, we've had little top class footy to watch.

i disagree there mate Bristol is the one of the the biggest football cities in the country it has the largest amount of amateur leagues in the country per % of population! It's just that they would rather play than watch!

So its a city where people dont watch the game. Might be one in forty which do and that wont stack up against loads of clubs. Not worth arguing about people in Bristol dont watch the game and City are being matched up by some here against a club with the biggest gates in the world. daft.

So its a city where people dont watch the game. Might be one in forty which do and that wont stack up against loads of clubs. Not worth arguing about people in Bristol dont watch the game and City are being matched up by some here against a club with the biggest gates in the world. daft.

that I agree on!

I don't think anyone has matched up City with Dortmund, perhaps it's the way you read it. The comparison was in the size of the cities.

I'm with you. Obviously our history limits peoples imagination of what could be, they might be being realistic or pessimistic. As a thought, have Dortmund always been the club that they currently are, or have they developed over time? The football league is littered with clubs that were once giants in the game, just as many clubs have replaced those giants, and just as many clubs will one day replace those, why not ours?

Dortmunds gates have steadily improved for decades. German football gates in general likewise. The Bundesliga has a higher average attendance than the Premier league and has now for seasons which ten years ago would not have occurred. The average age of fans attending is also lower v England, a healthy position for German football to occupy.

It's the type of supporter too.

Thing is are all of them yellow flags in a designated safety zone!? Can the people behind see the game!? That's the difference. Also, as already pointed out, we don't have a suitable 'end' to go in. Some will try the Atyeo others the Dolman, if there was a proper end to go to then it'd be a start!

The 'South Stand' could of been that but Bristol Sport decided to opt out by putting a kids corner and a corporate area either side of the stand.

Although I'm looking forward to giving it a go next season what about the season after when we have to guarantee 2700 to the away fans, the Atyeo is not big enough when you include segregation. It's a different mentality altogether.

I'm with you. Obviously our history limits peoples imagination of what could be, they might be being realistic or pessimistic. As a thought, have Dortmund always been the club that they currently are, or have they developed over time? The football league is littered with clubs that were once giants in the game, just as many clubs have replaced those giants, and just as many clubs will one day replace those, why not ours?

Glad a few more are getting my analogy ... Cheers Rich

P.s. Will come back ref Dortmund question.

The Original Question How Big Should We Try to be!

As big as possible, simple as that.

Exactly!

Woss on about? We were in the Anglo-Italian Cup ;-)

Seriously, if we get to the PL, it would be a while before we achieved many sell-outs.

Yes, I have been in a crowd of 30k+ at Ashton Gate, but they were different times.

I have been in huge gates at AG...Liverpool 77 on the EE. Would never be allowed again! They were different times as you say, however average gates were much lower across football for many reasons, however it does show the support the club could muster even in the bad old days for big games (they didn't come much bigger than that one)

Assuming we don't get promoted next season, the challenge will be selling the more than 15,000 season tickets we will need to sell, to get crowds of 20,000 plus when the ground is finished.

Selling tickets is always going to be a challenge. The quote is build it and they will come! If we do well next season but don't make it but the new stadium is ready to go then I see 15k is easily obtainable 12.5k have been sold for next season to watch football on a building site! Momentum is still key.

If we have a solid season next season (mid-table or higher) i think it is fairly reasonable to aim to shift 15 k season tickets if the prices and deals we are offering are decent enough, its doable..

Above^

Football was very different then in the late 70s, attendances were much lower than today due to poor facilities, hooliganism etc. for example Man Utd often played in front of 35,000 gates, less than half what they attract now. Some teams in the top flight e.g. Stoke, WBA, Birmingham etc struggled to get 10,000 for less attractive games.

Exactly!

Our best ever average was 1955-6 at 26,575 which would not fill the rebuilt ground. In that season our attendances combined with the Rovers were 50,475 for 2 second division teams, better than any one team in the league. Everton were the best with 42,768. Clearly the potential was there at that time.

We have a long way to go to fill the Gate. Any talk of the crowds we could get in the Premier League are extremely premature.

Yes maybe premature to us. However the club will be making calculations based upon performance as to what can be reasonably expected in the next few seasons.

My instinct is City will do well, keep in mind the last City team to win promotion from this division were good but not this good and they brought us a fag papers width of the Prem.

SL knows the importance of momentum and will pull out what ever he can within FFP to push this side forward and support SCs burning ambition to get to the top flight of English football!....I think they will be saying we pretty certain we can walk, lets run!....Next year is going to be fun!!

I think we could go one better this time around and get promoted this time around hopefully not through the playoffs. ( although playoffs.would probably be the most likely way to get b2b promotions.) As to the size of the crowd IMO we would sell out every week. The premiership stars and players that would be playing for the away teams would be enough to draw In. the crowds. Last time when we got to the playoffs at least 5-6 people that I know said they would buy a season even though they don't support city two of them were Liverpool fans.

I think we could go one better this time around and get promoted this time around hopefully not through the playoffs. ( although playoffs.would probably be the most likely way to get b2b promotions.) As to the size of the crowd IMO we would sell out every week. The Premier League stars and players that would be playing for the away teams would be enough to draw In. the crowds. Last time when we got to the playoffs at least 5-6 people that I know said they would buy a season even though they don't support city two of them were Liverpool fans.

You've nailed part of the problem in one small statement, "two of them are LFC fans". I'm sure this happens in other cities but not to the same scale as in Bristol. I go to so many local places and hear people talking about "who we've got tonight/Saturday/Monday", only to find out they're watching sky sports to see their team, be it UTD, Chelsea, Asenal, Spurs or the favourite in these parts (for some reason) LFC. Born and bred Bristolians with LFC tattoed on their arms or wherever. I've been in pubs where a group of lads are watching the scores come up on their phones and they give everyone except City and Rov8 cough cough cough cough spit shit. There are thousands of these people in Bristol and the region as a whole, poisoning their children with premiership bullshit. And until we get some sustained success to throw their snidy comments about not getting them down to AG to watch that shit football, back in their faces it'll continue in the same vain. I'd rather my son had a Rov8 cough cough cough cough cough spit shit, no I couldn't say it, than another competing city's replica shirt.

You've nailed part of the problem in one small statement, "two of them are LFC fans". I'm sure this happens in other cities but not to the same scale as in Bristol. I go to so many local places and hear people talking about "who we've got tonight/Saturday/Monday", only to find out they're watching sky sports to see their team, be it UTD, Chelsea, Asenal, Spurs or the favourite in these parts (for some reason) LFC. Born and bred Bristolians with LFC tattoed on their arms or wherever. I've been in pubs where a group of lads are watching the scores come up on their phones and they give everyone except City and Rov8 cough cough cough cough spit shit. There are thousands of these people in Bristol and the region as a whole, poisoning their children with Premier League bullshit. And until we get some sustained success to throw their snidy comments about not getting them down to AG to watch that shit football, back in their faces it'll continue in the same vain. I'd rather my son had a Rov8 cough cough cough cough cough spit shit, no I couldn't say it, than another competing city's replica shirt.

This is it. Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, are all similar sized and can support several football league sides. Our competition is not Rovers as much as sky

Average percentage attendance vis a vis capacity of the 20 Premier League clubs? 96.5%

; no doubt 27k will NOT be enough 3-4 years, at most, after arriving in the top flight and if we manage to stay there. In fact even if we do not stay there thanks to City's 'early bird' marketing strategy.

Average percentage attendance vis a vis capacity of the 20 Premier League clubs? 96.5%

; no doubt 27k will NOT be enough 3-4 years, at most, after arriving in the top flight and if we manage to stay there. In fact even if we do not stay there thanks to City's 'early bird' marketing strategy.

Did our attendances average 27k in 76-80? Despite some corkers, I don't think so.

We may not have had marketing back then, but it was cheap and Bristol wasn't full of glory hunters.

I think we should be aiming to fill 30,000 to 40,000 a week.  

When I first moved to Bournemouth about 5 years ago I knew a handful of people who supported the club, I used to watch them a lot on a Tuesday night to get my football fix and I could literally pay on the night without an issue. Now, if you contrast that with the demand now, its amazing.  People I know down here that used to support Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United are all huge Bournemouth fans now. The place has gone Bournemouth crazy!!! They could easily, and I mean easily, fill 25,000 here if they had the stadium for it.  What I'm saying is, the catchment area here is nothing like what it is in Bristol.  If we could get to the prem, Bristol City could be a BIG club. 

Population:-

Dortmund - 580,000

Bristol - 437,000

But if you add in Kingswood, Mangotsfield, Bradley Stoke, Patchway, Filton, Almondsbury, Frampton Cotts and Winterbourne then the population rises to 617,000

While Dortmund is situated in the densely populated Ruhr with huge populations all around it most of those areas are taken by the likes of Bochum and Dusseldorf for example

In short, City, obviously, have every reason and every right to consider themselves capable of emulating such a team. The latent support is there, no doubt about it.

Buying those houses and building another Williams will only be the beginning; the Dolman will be demolished and rebuilt in our lifetime as will the South Stand unless we move over to Ashton Vale and give AG to the Ruggers.

The only real surprise to me is that when you take into account these undisputed facts City are not a much bigger club already. No team in the land, imho, befits the title 'sleeping giant' more and its certainly been discussed enough by national pundits. Perhaps finally we are genuinely putting the building blocks in place to start burying that 'sad' moniker once and for all.

Was this taken from your extensive files Havana?. Just incase you ever needed to kick off a City v Dortmund Champions League Match Day Thread?

Did our attendances average 27k in 76-80? Despite some corkers, I don't think so.

We may not have had marketing back then, but it was cheap and Bristol wasn't full of glory hunters.

We were still losing games though and not very successful in any form. Knocked out of cups regularly, lower league struggle apart from one season when we finished 13th. Average crowds of 23.5k, 23.3k 22.5k and 19.8k, with certain games well over the 27k mark.

Different era and you answer that very point with your following remarks. Attendances are up across the board from those days anyway. I would say a totally futile argument trying to compare like for like.

Was this taken from your extensive files Havana?. Just incase you ever needed to kick off a City v Dortmund Champions League Match Day Thread?

No i was comparing populations only, for now.

Regarding your jokingly flipant remark; perhaps not just yet but not so fanciful is a Europa league tie. I mean come on... The small population of stoke does the Europa League... And some people question the sanity of such talk for City?

This is our golden age. Nothing before has happened in our history that we will be able to compare with what could very well happen in the next 5-20 years.

People do not spend 45 million tarting up a stadium just to be a mediocre Championship team. That scenario in simply not on the agenda .

Maybe i and a few others here are just a little ahead of the curve ; insanely optimistic? Actually i do not believe i am no.

Archived