IGNORED

How Big Should We Try To Be?

where's the joy

Population:-

Dortmund - 580,000

Bristol - 437,000

But if you add in Kingswood, Mangotsfield, Bradley Stoke, Patchway, Filton, Almondsbury, Frampton Cotts and Winterbourne then the population rises to 617,000

While Dortmund is situated in the densely populated Ruhr with huge populations all around it most of those areas are taken by the likes of Bochum and Dusseldorf for example

In short, City, obviously, have every reason and every right to consider themselves capable of emulating such a team. The latent support is there, no doubt about it. 

Buying those houses and building another Williams will only be the beginning; the Dolman will be demolished and rebuilt in our lifetime as will the South Stand unless we move over to Ashton Vale and give AG to the Ruggers.

The only real surprise to me is that when you take into account these undisputed facts City are not a much bigger club already. No team in the land, imho, befits the title 'sleeping giant' more and its certainly been discussed enough by national pundits. Perhaps finally we are genuinely putting the building blocks in place to start burying that 'sad' moniker once and for all.

Let's not run before we can walk eh?

I've heard the sleeping giant BS every time we win a game. Bear in mind we hav never been in the premier league let alone Europe whereas Dortmund are in Europe pretty much every year.

Reasons to be optimistic yes but let's concentrate on the championship first and not predict ourselves being the Barcelona of anything just yet

I've heard the sleeping giant BS every time we win a game. Bear in mind we hav never been in the premier league let alone Europe whereas Dortmund are in Europe pretty much every year.

Reasons to be optimistic yes but let's concentrate on the championship first and not predict ourselves being the Barcelona of anything just yet

A rather lazy bunch of remarks in response to my post which was pointing out some facts and home truths all rather obviously. No need for a cheap condescending put down old fruit.

That picture is mental!!!!!!

No; it's real life. Safe standing and banners being waved all help create an atmosphere that not only intimidates the oppos, but fully encourages the home team. As a bonus for those fans, to get in they pay a fraction of what we in this country do and they don't have to worry about some foreigner with loads of money buying their club.

Mr RedTrousers would no doubt like us to provide parking for 40,000 bicycles. We certainly won't get adequate public transport from him and his cronies. Just for a start, how about providing park & ride from Long Ashton for City home games?

It comes down to the age old debate of history v potential.

History says - yo-yo club between second and third tiers, large big game support, but relatively low core of 10,000 who can be relied upon to support the club through the thin times. In a city with another league club ****il this season anyway) and a well supported rugby club. The lack of success means there are a section of the city that don't attach themselves to either Bristol club.

V

Potential - the best placed club in the whole of the South west to be a Premiership outfit, huge support that has turned out time and time again when there is a hint of success, a billionaire owner, in 12 months one of the top twenty stadiums in the UK, a catchment area of over a million, a past history in the top flight (ok less than ten seasons but we have been there). An attractive and popular place to live making it easier to attract the better players.

Some comical comments here. City would be lucky to sell out every week in the prem, let alone 40k coming in.

The club has been on the right direction since 97 in terms of growing the fan base, fans that buy season tickets year on year that is. We're still along way from a guaranteed 20k + each week.

Some comical comments here. City would be lucky to sell out every week in the prem, let alone 40k coming in.

The club has been on the right direction since 97 in terms of growing the fan base, fans that buy season tickets year on year that is. We're still along way from a guaranteed 20k + each week.

Im all for being realistic but to say we would be 'lucky' to sell out a 27k stadium in the top flight is wide of the mark.. Bearing in mind the vast majority of Prem teams will be bringing 2.5 to 3 k here we would need to be only having to sell 24k.. If anything id be concerned really that 27k would be too small for us if/when we go up to that level

Personally think our first season once the stadium is complete regardless of weather we are in the Championship or the Prem we will average over 20k.

Woss on about? We were in the Anglo-Italian Cup ;-)

Seriously, if we get to the PL, it would be a while before we achieved many sell-outs.

Yes, I have been in a crowd of 30k+ at Ashton Gate, but they were different times.

Im all for being realistic but to say we would be 'lucky' to sell out a 27k stadium in the top flight is wide of the mark.. Bearing in mind the vast majority of Prem teams will be bringing 2.5 to 3 k here we would need to be only having to sell 24k.. If anything id be concerned really that 27k would be too small for us if/when we go up to that level

Personally think our first season once the stadium is complete regardless of weather we are in the Championship or the Prem we will average over 20k.

Last time we did really well in Championship we were getting 14-17k and , surprisingly, only really sold out for play offs. The rest of the time in that division we averaged about 12-15k so I'm not quite sure that we'll average over 20k in the Champ particularly if the football is, err, average.

It will be the same old story- massive game massive crowd but however shiny the new Gate is the fact remains that it's still really expensive to regularly follow your team.

I think it was a bad move by BS to make it more expensive for 12-18yr olds- our next generation of fans.

...and dont German clubs charge something like a tenner a ticket? That would help our attendances I', sure if they price dropped similarly here

There are of course sacrifices that come with that. All German stadiums are sponsored (I think at least in the top flight) for example. But the key difference is that the fans own the clubs so the board need to please the fans, not shareholders. Therefore all the clubs are first and foremost for the fans creating a levelish playing field. As much as I like SL if he offered to sell 51% of the club to the fans I'd bite his hand off. However will the leagues in this country have mandatory rules about club ownership...I doubt it.

IF we were to ever make it to the Prem and IF we were lucky enough to say there longer than one season then I think we would struggle to sell out every week. Obviously games like Man Utd and Liverpool would be sold out but I wouldn't expect the same for games against teams like Hull and Leicester after the initial novelty of the first couple of seasons. Just my opinion of course but I think given the size of the club, historic attendances in the Championship and the possibility that any stints in the top flight may be short lived the new AG is gonna be fine.

Clubs like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and Manchester City have shown that they can maintain impressively high attendances no matter what division they play in. Neither Bristol club have shown that level of potential which is why I believe the current plans for both clubs is probably about right for their 'best case scenarios'. 27k would be more than enough for us I reckon.

We only averaged 21K when previously in the top division!

Archived