IGNORED

T20 - Franchise System

'Orns

Just read this on bbc website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/32745399

Interesting comments from Somerset on there

I'm no great fan of T20, much prefer proper cricket, or Test Matches, as we called them when I was a kid.... but I guess something needs to be done to make it more attractive / marketable etc. Have to say, I do agree with the comments about the weather being a big factor on the game in England, and I wouldn't want my Worcestershire team swallowed up by Warwickshire. Guessing you Glos / Somerset fans feel the same way?

Just interested in peoples views - how would you go about saving T20? I'd be happy if we didn't have it - just promotes slogging for me, but I guess I'm in a minority. Australia have done a great job with the Big Bash, didn't realise it was on free to air television either - fair play to them

I think it sounds like a great idea, but then again I'm certain that Yorkshire would get a franchise team! I appreciate why some of the counties without test grounds would be against it though, especially those that have made it a commercially viable game in their own county. The other problem is going to be identifying a 4-6 week period in the summer when all other cricket stops to play this. It's not an easy solution, even if it is the best one

As for being on free to air TV, it's a no brainer for me. 20-20 is essentially a new sport and putting that new sport on a pay TV channel doesn't make sense- who's going to watch it and if the people watching it already like cricket, what's the point. Get it on the BBC make it more of a spectacle and put some money in to attract the best players and it'll work. I reckon we might be too far behind the curve though and the havoc it'll cause with the test matches through the summer will be a massive problem

What cricket needs is test cricket back to free-to-air TV.

Sky might have improved TV coverage of the game, but they have done nothing to enhance the game generally, and have done their best to make it more or less entirely reliant no their money.

The 2005 Ashes was special, and is still the one people talk about despite Ashes wins since, not only because of the quality of the cricket and the drama of the whole thing, but because everybody could watch it on TV, not just the few that are contributing to British Sport becoming a franchise eventually for all major sports, not just cricket or football.

I'm for it and it needs to be on free to air tv, all cricket going to sky is whats killing our national game,

they don't need the county championship like chanel 5 have it,

they also need to price it right, you think football tickets are high, you try buying a ticket for a england test,

I'm for it and it needs to be on free to air tv, all cricket going to sky is whats killing our national game,

they don't need the county championship like chanel 5 have it,

they also need to price it right, you think football tickets are high, you try buying a ticket for a england test,

They only ever show a couple of County Championship games don't they? Channel 5 would never be interested.

Test cricket is where it's at. Reduce Test matches to 4 days, only use 5 if a day's play in total has been lost, and some of the nuances will return to the game such as when to declare, when to try to pile on the runs and batting to save a test which have been lost due to the acceleration in runs scored per over in tests.

We all grew up watching test matches on tv, but many young people now have never been exposed to this and we are reliant on them to make us top dogs again in the future. Yet crappy Wimbledon tennis is protected for terrestrial tv an elitist sport that very few youngsters will be able to take up or want to take up.

T20 is crap. It is all bish, bash, bosh. It's like snooker without the safety play.

Test cricket is where it's at. Reduce Test matches to 4 days, only use 5 if a day's play in total has been lost, and some of the nuances will return to the game such as when to declare, when to try to pile on the runs and batting to save a test which have been lost due to the acceleration in runs scored per over in tests.

We all grew up watching test matches on tv, but many young people now have never been exposed to this and we are reliant on them to make us top dogs again in the future. Yet crappy Wimbledon tennis is protected for terrestrial tv an elitist sport that very few youngsters will be able to take up or want to take up.

T20 is crap. It is all bish, bash, bosh. It's like snooker without the safety play.

Nail on head

Actually Woodsy, I have fond memories of watching Somerset at the Imperial Ground in the John Player League in the 1970s. One ofthe matches was against Worcestershire. Their players were a real friendly bunch...unlike Yorkshire who were a surly ill mannered bunch where I was even told by Chris Old to **** Off for having the temerity to ask for his autograph. But Worcestershire couldn't have been more friendly and welcoming to us youngsters. I even sat next to Dolly in the dressing room. I didn't say anything as I was awestruck. It was like sitting alongside royalty.

Incidentally, for younger readers Dolly wasn't our Dolly Marie, but someone even more important than that. Indeed, so important that a cricketing nation was isolated for nearly two decades for refusing to allow an MCC team if he was selected for them to play on their turf.

What cricket needs is test cricket back to free-to-air TV.

Sky might have improved TV coverage of the game, but they have done nothing to enhance the game generally, and have done their best to make it more or less entirely reliant no their money.

The 2005 Ashes was special, and is still the one people talk about despite Ashes wins since, not only because of the quality of the cricket and the drama of the whole thing, but because everybody could watch it on TV, not just the few that are contributing to British Sport becoming a franchise eventually for all major sports, not just cricket or football.

It's a good point, but when are those running the sport going to look past the bank balance, the move to Sky was instgated and completed by a customer of mine and he's only interested in the bank balance.

The R&A have just done the same with The Open, give it 5-10yrs i think they'll be regretting that decision.

Don't think they will somersetred,there's a appetite for golf in this country,cricket is dying,less people are playing it and it's nothing to do with sky,like ashes 2005 or Wimbledon,you get a spike after but then dies down again,

There is, but a lot of clubs are really struggling, i gave up playing a few years ago due to my health, from what i could see then a lot of people are playing but not joining a club but are playing different venues each time, but that discussion's for another thread :yes:

Not just for cricket but mainly. Got Sky Sports again in January for the Ashes. Why would I want to watch a grainy buffering picture on a iPad or laptop when I can watch it in my front room in perfect vision?

because it's free and why in the hell would you be watching it on a iPad or laptop,just get a smart TV and the picture is normal

Something does need to change it has gradually become less interesting over the years.

For the first few years, the 18 counties formed three pools of six. Every team in each of the pools played each other with the three winners and the best placed runner up going to a Finals Day. Two semis and then the Final itself; great.

More recently it has become four pools with eight teams progressing to a later stage. Presumably as more games  = more receipts.

I'm going to have this on my gravestone.

Archived