IGNORED

Is How Football Teams Are Managed Slowly Changing?

And Its Smith

Some of you may know this is happening already but most probably do not. It is only small at the moment but there is every chance that this will become mainstream in a few years.

A very succinct article and make sure you don't miss the link to the Tim Sparv part.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/05/15/soccer-analytics-brentford-midtjylland-matthew-benham

What I don't understand is that the management team out performed his analysis of where they should be I.e. 11th so he sacked them? Even 11th would have been a good result. Next season if they are 20th and his model agrees with 20th will he keep them? I don't deny its clever stuff, but seems a strange way to run things, especially as there are so many variables out of his control

What I don't understand is that the management team out performed his analysis of where they should be I.e. 11th so he sacked them? Even 11th would have been a good result. Next season if they are 20th and his model agrees with 20th will he keep them? I don't deny its clever stuff, but seems a strange way to run things, especially as there are so many variables out of his control

No, he is saying that they deserve to be 11th. He is judging his teams where they deserve to be and not where they actually are. Taking luck out of the equation.

Wonder to what extent luck played its part in our season or any team that reaches the top? I wonder what his definition of luck is too and how this is measured? Maybe the manager brings the luck?

I think the team made it's own luck, by the way they played for each other and never gave up, even when behind.

No, he is saying that they deserve to be 11th. He is judging his teams where they deserve to be and not where they actually are. Taking luck out of the equation.

Very difficult to do that. Is it luck that a player wins a 50/50 challenge? Or one player having more determination than another? Or simply the bounce of a leather ball on a rain sodden divot?

If this chairman's methods bring results then he is elevated to godlike status by the club's fans.

Myself, I believe that successful teams in every sport, in every walk of life, is mainly due to successful personnel management at all levels in the organisation.

It is interesting and certainly worth keeping an eye on. I recommend any one who hasn't, to watch Moneyball. It's a true story and even if you don't like or know much about baseball it is still worth watching. Billy Beane who Brad Pitt played in the movie has been hired by a Dutch club to see if his Stats based philosophy for player recruitment can be adopted and implemented there.

But by the end of the season deserved to be 5th, so that suggests he made a mistake sacking the manager?!

• Admin

But by the end of the season deserved to be 5th, so that suggests he made a mistake sacking the manager?!

No, Benham doesn't believe the League Table is the ultimate way of assessing each team, he trusts his model more (a model which made him rich enough to purchase 2 professional football clubs by the way & is taking his Danish club to their first ever national trophy using this model). 

His model believes that if luck had been equally applied to all teams in the Championship, his side would have finished lower & wants this model to influence transfer strategy.

Warburton disagreed and so they parted ways.

No, Benham doesn't believe the League Table is the ultimate way of assessing each team, he trusts his model more (a model which made him rich enough to purchase 2 professional football clubs by the way & is taking his Danish club to their first ever national trophy using this model).

His model believes that if luck had been equally applied to all teams in the Championship, his side would have finished lower & wants this model to influence transfer strategy.

Warburton disagreed and so they parted ways.

Yes - I've read the article. The article states that by his model they actually deserved to finish 5th at the end of the season.

• Admin

Yes - I've read the article. The article states that by his model they actually deserved to finish 5th at the end of the season.

Ok I hadn't realised by the end of the season that had changed. 

Regardless, Benham (rightly or wrongly) sees Brentford as capable of playing in the Champions League within 5 years if they use his model & Warburton didn't want to, so in that regard he is right to split with the manager.

It is interesting and certainly worth keeping an eye on. I recommend any one who hasn't, to watch Moneyball. It's a true story and even if you don't like or know much about baseball it is still worth watching. Billy Beane who Brad Pitt played in the movie has been hired by a Dutch club to see if his Stats based philosophy for player recruitment can be adopted and implemented there.

There is a football version too, "The numbers game"

Archived