IGNORED

Scrap The Playoffs

GrahamC

Not club Wembley then ...have a word with yourself

I suspect corporate members invested primarily for the prospect of watching Champions League finals, not Bristol Rovers v Grimsby. Anyway, Club Wembley didn't even exist when the playoffs started.

Yes, there will be some financial benefit to some people from the playoffs - but so what? They are still great for fans and it's not why they were introduced. Everyone wins.

Why are you so keen to dismiss it as a money generating exercise without recognising the positives?

Yes i expect the fans of Preston are over the moon the game kicks off at 5.30, that has been done for them according to your argument..?

At no point have i said i don't like the play offs ,i just see the bigger picture ...obviously some don't 

Yes i expect the fans of Preston are over the moon the game kicks off at 5.30, that has been done for them according to your argument..?

I would imagine that primarily they are delighted to be watching their team at Wembley with a chance of being promoted, having finished 4th.

It's always a shame when there's a compromise for TV but if they win do you think they'll care? Anyway, 5:30 kick off, game over by 8pm latest, still plenty of time to get home via car or train. What's the issue?

You're just picking holes for the sake of it.

A shame for who......the fans maybe

For someone who claims to see the bigger picture you are rather insistent on picking out fine details.

Yes, not ideal for the fans but on balance i'm sure they'd still rather be there than not. Just because in 2015 a kick off time is moved for TV, it doesn't mean when the playoffs were created in 1987 it was for the primary purpose of money creation, which was your original point.

For someone who claims to see the bigger picture you are rather insistent on picking out fine details.

Yes, not ideal for the fans but on balance i'm sure they'd still rather be there than not. Just because in 2015 a kick off time is moved for TV, it doesn't mean when the playoffs were created in 1987 it was for the primary purpose of money creation, which was your original point.

So what happened at Wembley on Bank holiday weekend pror to 1987...

& please may i apologise for having an opinion that differs from the sheep..

So what happened at Wembley on Bank holiday weekend pror to 1987...

& please may i apologise for having an opinion that differs from the sheep..

I haven't asked you to apologise for your opinion, I'm just disagreeing with it. Perhaps consider that if others share the same opinion it doesn't necessarily make them "sheep" - but perhaps that they have come to the same conclusion for themselves?

If Wembley was empty on bank holiday weekends before 1987, and thereafter full of two sets of fans enjoying a crucial match with the prize of promotion at the end of it, is that not a good thing, even if someone is making money from it?

I still don't understand your determination to dismiss the whole thing as a money making exercise.

They keep the season alive for a lot longer than if you did not have them.

Correct; if you are tenth in February you still have a chance of promotion. Thus interest and attendances are maintained.

I'm enjoying the play off this season as they contain all the usual drama & excitement but City are already promoted.

Funny how the Championship play off is billed as " The Richest Game in Football " not the most glorious ,just saying :thumbsup:

That is due to the money involved in the premier league - not the money that comes from that particular event.

It also doesn't mean the play offs were created purely for money. Your statement doesn't back up the original claim at all.

That is due to the money involved in the premier league - not the money that comes from that particular event.

It also doesn't mean the play offs were created purely for money. Your statement doesn't back up the original claim at all.

The first 3 or 4 play off finals were home & away affairs of the teams concerned and it worked fine , Why if not for money was it moved to Wembley..?

Same for the FA cup semis...

The first 3 or 4 play off finals were home & away affairs of the teams concerned and it worked fine , Why if not for money was it moved to Wembley..?

Same for the FA cup semis...

NO.

It wasn't due to money, but to violence/hooliganism.

I can't recall the two teams involved, but there was a match where the Premier League team lost in the second leg and was relegated - all hell broke out and the powers that be decided to scrap the two-legged final.

NO.

I can't recall the two teams involved, but there was a match where the Premier League team lost in the second leg and was relegated - all hell broke out and the powers that be decided to scrap the two-legged final.

Just googled this & came up with nothing ,sure your correct though. 

The prem started in 92 and play offs were already at Wembley.i'll keep digging though

NO.

All i could find was Chels v Boro in 88 ,still had 2 legged finals in 89 though

Well, the semi finals anyway.

After Norwich's win today every final this season from Championship down to Bananarama is between the highest placed two sides, so no point in the other games, was there?

The point of the play offs is through the months of February - March mid-table clubs still have a modicum of incentive. I'm very much for them and would extend them to be competed between relegation-promotion candidates from the differing positions.

Mid table mediocracy is meaningless.

I would consider tweaking them to offer more of an advantage to teams that finish 3rd & 4th.

The IPL does this and I can see the logic. Rather than have 2 leg semi finals, do the following one off games.

1. 5th home to 6th. Loser eliminated. Winner through to next round.

2. 3rd home to 4th. Winner through to final. Loser gets 2nd chance in game 3.

3. Loser from 3rd v 4th home to winner from 5th v 6th. Winner to final, loser out.

Sounds complex, but it gives a greater opportunity to the teams that do better in the league.

Team that finishes 3rd would get a 2nd chance at home to qualify. Team

that comes 6th has to win away twice to go through.

I would consider tweaking them to offer more of an advantage to teams that finish 3rd & 4th.

The IPL does this and I can see the logic. Rather than have 2 leg semi finals, do the following one off games.

1. 5th home to 6th. Loser eliminated. Winner through to next round.

2. 3rd home to 4th. Winner through to final. Loser gets 2nd chance in game 3.

3. Loser from 3rd v 4th home to winner from 5th v 6th. Winner to final, loser out.

Sounds complex, but it gives a greater opportunity to the teams that do better in the league.

Team that finishes 3rd would get a 2nd chance at home to qualify. Team

that comes 6th has to win away twice to go through.

A very good idea. I also think that the lower-placed team in each fixture should have one of their players surgically removed :)

All i could find was Chels v Boro in 88 ,still had 2 legged finals in 89 though

Sorry, I should have explained that the game in question involved the (I believe) third bottom team in the Premier League playing (and losing) against the best placed team from the league below (not sure if it was called he Championship at the time) and getting relegated as a result.

Anyway, the Premier League team lost the second leg and all hell broke loose so they decided that in future they would relegate automatically the three bottom teams and do away with the third bottom team having to play a playoff to avoid relegation.

One of the pundits at the Rvs V Grimsby game, i can't remember who it was, but it wasn't Holloway, said that winning the playoffs was the best way to get promotion.   WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

Tbf, not that we know, but the relief of winning would be enormous.

Gas heads yesterday were delighted through relief! Their season boiled down to a penalty shoot out, where as we cruised to a unanimous victory.

Not only that, I think had Rovers lost, they would have bolted as a club. It was a big win for them, part of me says fair play. But only a very little part. No doubt their collective delusional psych will see them spouting utter bollocks, like usual.

otib

The point of the play offs is through the months of February - March mid-table clubs still have a modicum of incentive. I'm very much for them and would extend them to be competed between relegation-promotion candidates from the differing positions.

Mid table mediocracy is meaningless.

Do you mean like when we had Sheffield Utd who finished third bottom from the division above!

If you do I can't agree with that, that would be giving a team who had a season of failure a reward of a second bite of the cherry, if you finish in the bottom three you don't deserve a second chance.

Archived