IGNORED

Bristol City

Eynsham Red

I stand by to get slated, but..............

Isn't this a Bristol City Fans Forum?  Six out of seven of the most recently updated threads are about Rovers.

Personally I don't give a monkeys about them unless they're playing us.  Shame we can't put more effort into positive City related threads rather than wasting brain effort to slate off the others off.

Yes I know I've just increased the number of Rovers related threads, but just saying...................

The point that it is not just rivalry with another team, but the powers that be. Rovers are aligned with politicians such as Charlotte Leslie, Jeffrey Archer and (we now discover) the secret saghead Red Trousers. I don't recall any prominent politicians backing us when we were trying to secure Ashton Vale. Where was our Charlotte Leslie going to the House of Commons? The relative silence of Red Trousers about Ashton Vale spoke volumes. Everyone knows this and that's partly why the Rovers threads have such resonance.

I wonder what ever happened to Horace Batchelor?

I remember trying to listen to Luxy after going to bed and the signal fading in and out all the time.

I remember sliding the dial from 208 to 247.

247 was always a better reception, but an inferior quality music.

Glad I took your advice re 'to be promoted' and not 'to win match'.

My problem now is to do a "sneaky" to the bookies without her indoors catching me. If she realized just how much I'd shelled out to"buy" some meaningful bunce, well, she probably wouldn't be my mrs much longer. But, as much as my heart said Grimsby, there was always only going to be one result, unfortunately. Still, I shall be keeping the wad intact to wave in front of the first quartered cretin I come across ! :clap:

My problem now is to do a "sneaky" to the bookies without her indoors catching me. If she realized just how much I'd shelled out to"buy" some meaningful bunce, well, she probably wouldn't be my mrs much longer. But, as much as my heart said Grimsby, there was always only going to be one result, unfortunately. Still, I shall be keeping the wad intact to wave in front of the first quartered cretin I come across ! :clap:

Like you, I knew there was only going to be one result...may as well put down some 'emotional insurance'. Bet with your head, not your heart.

Personally I'm not particularly interested in a rivalry with a club two divisions below us. I understand that historically and geographically they are our closest rival, but to me it's never really mattered that much. Probably because I don't have that many friends who support Rovers. They just seem like a much smaller outfit than us in every way, and pretty much irrelevant to us in 2015 as we look towards the Championship and our new stadium.

For these reasons I very rarely comment on anything Rovers-related on here. I'm not claiming the moral high ground though - I understand it matters to a lot of our fans and that's fair enough.

I don't get how any fan can underestimate it and say they simply 'Don't care about them', or that it's 'never really mattered'. Madness. Have you ever been to a Bristol Derby?

Of course they're a smaller outfit than us but we still despise them and they despise us. Being 2 divisions apart will never make any difference to that.

I stand by to get slated, but..............

Isn't this a Bristol City Fans Forum?  Six out of seven of the most recently updated threads are about Rovers.

Personally I don't give a monkeys about them unless they're playing us.  Shame we can't put more effort into positive City related threads rather than wasting brain effort to slate off the others off.

Yes I know I've just increased the number of Rovers related threads, but just saying...................

No slating of you here but this is topical news and I do have an opinion.

We, as a population add, have proven incapable in capacity to host one respectable club, let alone two.

Them winning today is bad news. Ian Holloway claiming the Council should step in and help them out is an insult to us, the tax payer.

I remember I used to hate the gas when i was about 14. Would love going to school the day after they had lost and rubbing it in. But i guess some of us grow out of an irrational hatred towards a team we are supposed to dislike just because they are from a different part of our city and play in a different colour. And why anyone would want a supermarket chain to win a lawsuit against a football club is beyond me! 

Cue all the "you're not a real city fan" comments.... yawn

I remember I used to hate the gas when i was about 14. Would love going to school the day after they had lost and rubbing it in. But i guess some of us grow out of an irrational hatred towards a team we are supposed to dislike just because they are from a different part of our city and play in a different colour. And why anyone would want a supermarket chain to win a lawsuit against a football club is beyond me!

You're based in Sri Lanka ( or you're a scruffy ,one eyed private detective ) so you don't have to live with them ...

The rivalry is good though ,keeps it interesting .

Just so long as we stay on top as we have done historically .

They've as much relevance to us as Forest to Notts County ,Liverpool to Tranmere ,Aston villa to Walsall ... a sort of amusing little sub story at the foot of the Sports page .

Brilliant.

Good for you.

I don't get how any fan can underestimate it and say they simply 'Don't care about them', or that it's 'never really mattered'. Madness. Have you ever been to a Bristol Derby?

Of course they're a smaller outfit than us but we still despise them and they despise us. Being 2 divisions apart will never make any difference to that.

I don't know how much more balanced I could have been in my post and yet I still get this. I said it never really mattered to me but also recognised that it does matter to many of our fans. That's not underestimating it. Across our fan base there will be a whole spectrum of feelings towards Rovers. It will range from completely despising them as you do, to not really liking them, to relative apathy. I tend to be more apathetic for the reasons I have already explained.

And yes I have been to Bristol Derbies and thoroughly enjoy beating them.

The point that it is not just rivalry with another team, but the powers that be. Rovers are aligned with politicians such as Charlotte Leslie, Jeffrey Archer and (we now discover) the secret saghead Red Trousers. I don't recall any prominent politicians backing us when we were trying to secure Ashton Vale. Where was our Charlotte Leslie going to the House of Commons? The relative silence of Red Trousers about Ashton Vale spoke volumes. Everyone knows this and that's partly why the Rovers threads have such resonance.

You may not remember it then, but Dawn Primarollo actually brought the matter up in the House of Commons and lobbied for the Town and Village Green rules to be changed to prevent, in her words, their abuse.

Other MPs in areas that had suffered ridiculous TVG claims supported her call, and the legislation was sent back to be amended. Unfortunately for us, it's not retrospective, so decisions already made are not affected.

Archived