IGNORED

Cole Skuse.....

Andy082005

Hardly played for us when we got relegated and then walked away on a bosman!! The bloke is hardly die hard city. Not surprised to hear he went to watch the crackpots at wembley. someone compares him to tinman and walshy above. They were great players for city. Skuse was average at best, part of a pathetic midfield towards the end that got overrun for fun, and only a bit part player during the good times under GJ.

Being the most improved player doesn't mean much, perhaps he was particularly awful before?

Come on. Are you really going to suggest that's he's picked up Ipswich's "most improved player of the season" award by going from being particularly awful to just awful, or maybe even just average?!

He's had a good season at Ipswich. I keep hearing about these mixed reviews he's got there, well if someone could point me in the direction of some recent mixed reviews of Skuse I'd be most grateful...I haven't seen any. I saw an article by George Burley recently saying that Skuse was Ipswich's most important player...

Come on. Are you really going to suggest that's he's picked up Ipswich's "most improved player of the season" award by going from being particularly awful to just awful, or maybe even just average?!

I'm suggesting a player who hadn't particularly impressed the fans previously is most likely to win 'most improved player.'

It doesn't mean he's awful now, but it doesn't mean he's great either.

By the very nature of the award it's not going to go to one of the many new signings, or squad players who had consistently impressed over previous seasons.

So in reality, it's a daft award with probably very few players to choose from.

He's had a good season at Ipswich. I keep hearing about these mixed reviews he's got there, well if someone could point me in the direction of some recent mixed reviews of Skuse I'd be most grateful...I haven't seen any. I saw an article by George Burley recently saying that Skuse was Ipswich's most important player...

Mick McCarthy (who even his critics must accept knows a bit about football) also said he was his most important player.

It is pretty silly for some to claim he isn't a top Championship player when like Albert, they are two of very few who have gone elsewhere from BS3 and proved it.

I'm with monkey on this, his final season he was shocking. We needed a warrior in the middle and and he couldn't/wouldn't step up. Would you swap him for Korey Smith? No chance.

P.S Most improved player is an award no footballer wants.

Why don't we wait and see Korey Smith in the championship first. Harsh just to single out Skuse in that shambles of a team.

Mick McCarthy (who even his critics must accept knows a bit about football) also said he was his most important player.

It is pretty silly for some to claim he isn't a top Championship player when like Albert, they are two of very few who have gone elsewhere from BS3 and proved it.

But Graham it's all down to the sum of the team and that's why I feel it is misleading tagging players such as 'He's a championship player', 'he's a top championship player' - it's all bollox until you consider the team, the individual roles, the chemistry between the players etc.

Skuse may be settled in Ipswich's 11 and have a role which suits him and highlights his abilities, great. He along with his colleagues deserve their final league position - top championship side if you will, but there is absolutely no reason why next season it can't all go belly up. Someone could come in and change the dynamic of the side and his role, he could move on  and in to a role which is not complimentary, or with a midfield partner who doesn't compliment him and him the midfield partner. Then what? Those that said he's crap get proven correct? It's a seesaw and the easiest way to judge is to assess someone's impact at the time and for the club. In my opinion, Skuse had all the potential with City but seemingly stopped challenging himself - but equally I would concede he did not play in a side that allowed us to see his best.

ok fair enough but Korey would of struggled in that City team would he not?

I wouldn't suggest he'd keep us up or get us playing well, but for that role for that side I think KS would have been an improvement on Skuse.

On the subject of Skuse.  My friends Dad who is a season ticket holder at Ipswich said he has been one of their best players since signing for them and that has been echoed by various reports I have read online.

Proves that a lot people on here are utterly clueless as he was written off by 70% of this forum!  I remember getting in some heated discussions for defending him.  A brilliant player who would enhance any Championship side.

Sorry mate, it proves as though it was needed, that everyone has an opinion and circumstances change.

When we went down with out a pair of bollocks between us, Cole Skuse was a non-effective member of a very shit side.

He deserves no credit for that.

Sorry mate, it proves as though it was needed, that everyone has an opinion and circumstances change.

When we went down with out a pair of bollocks between us, Cole Skuse was a non-effective member of a very shit side.

He deserves no credit for that.

Sorry, but you have missed the point.  Lionel Messi would have struggled to prevent that team from relegation - Does that make him a bad player?

There were a lot of people at the time saying he was a waste of space and those people are clearly wrong in retrospect.  I don't even think that should be up for debate.

Sorry, but you have missed the point.  Lionel Messi would have struggled to prevent that team from relegation - Does that make him a bad player?

All our managers picked him.

My point is that he can piss off because that was an embarrassment.

John Stead, Albert and Tom Heaton; fair play.

Cole Skuse can piss off and have an easy ride elsewhere because he was bollocks service to us, good player or not.

There were a lot of people at the time saying he was a waste of space and those people are clearly wrong in retrospect.  I don't even think that should be up for debate.

Football is all about opinions though. Purely playing devil's advocate here, but not everyone at Ipswich seem to think he's the bees knees either.

The following quote (from an Ipswich fan) backs up Monkehs argument.

"Skuse definitely struggled on Sunday, he couldn't cope with the amount of runners they had when coming forward with pace."

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/335619/page:1#.VVnSqfDangw

messi has never played for us so we can't comment,

but if you put messi in that side then we prob would of stayed up because we would of had some one capable of creating chances in the side

Football is all about opinions though. Purely playing devil's advocate here, but not everyone at Ipswich seem to think he's the bees knees either.

The following quote (from an Ipswich fan) backs up Monkehs argument.

"Skuse definitely struggled on Sunday, he couldn't cope with the amount of runners they had when coming forward with pace."

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/335619/page:1#.VVnSqfDangw

How does that comment suggest he is a bad player?  Its one game.

Think you have your wires crossed!

How does that comment suggest he is a bad player?  Its one game.

Think you have your wires crossed!

But we saw similar when he played for us, overrun in midfield was a common theme during his time with us.

You obviously rate him very highly. Personally I thought he was typical of the sort of player we've seen far too much of over the last few years. Tidy on his day, but not consistent enough.

But we saw similar when he played for us, overrun in midfield was a common theme during his time with us.

You obviously rate him very highly. Personally I thought he was typical of the sort of player we've seen far too much of over the last few years. Tidy on his day, but not consistent enough.

don't think Steve Cotterall (the manager who's got us up as Champions and the lower league competition) would tolerate 'a good player' without tangible output.

I maintain it is you missing the point. Flip what you are suggesting the other way, if I put Neil Kilkenny in a team full of 10 others of Messi's relative ability does that make Neil Kilkenny a world beater as that side would, undoubtedly, win everything?

The end result is the same - it's the sum of the team that matters and not the individual. If you don't fit with the team you're no use to anyone as you are... for Skuse in my opinion that was his problem whilst here. Not that he doesn't have ability, just that he didn't compliment what we had and neither us him. Therefore with us he wasn't going to achieve his potential or perform to his fullest ability without changes in personnel, tactics or (in my opinion, both).

Just a few weeks ago SC demonstrated exactly that point - it's what you bring to the team, not what you can do what matters - by allowing a striker aged only 24 who averages 1 in 3 for us, arguably the most skillful we've ever had, arguably the player with the most potential we've ever had leave on a free. To the outside world that is madness, to the more informed of us we can appreciate the decision taken (although some may have made space for him). It has nothing to do with JET's ability with the ball, and all to do with JET's ability to play a role in our system.

I maintain it is you missing the point. Flip what you are suggesting the other way, if I put Neil Kilkenny in a team full of 10 others of Messi's relative ability does that make Neil Kilkenny a world beater as that side would, undoubtedly, win everything?

The end result is the same - it's the sum of the team that matters and not the individual. If you don't fit with the team you're no use to anyone as you are... for Skuse in my opinion that was his problem whilst here. Not that he doesn't have ability, just that he didn't compliment what we had and neither us him. Therefore with us he wasn't going to achieve his potential or perform to his fullest ability without changes in personnel, tactics or (in my opinion, both).

Just a few weeks ago SC demonstrated exactly that point - it's what you bring to the team, not what you can do what matters - by allowing a striker aged only 24 who averages 1 in 3 for us, arguably the most skillful we've ever had, arguably the player with the most potential we've ever had leave on a free. To the outside world that is madness, to the more informed of us we can appreciate the decision taken (although some may have made space for him). It has nothing to do with JET's ability with the ball, and all to do with JET's ability to play a role in our system.

Sorry, but I am still don't see your point.  My original argument is that I believe him to be a quality player and many people got it all wrong at the time.  It sounds like you are not that far away from disagreeing with me.

Let me spell it out... People used to say he was sh*t, now he is playing for a top Championship club and has many plaudits. Those people who said he was terrible got it badly wrong in my opinion and were not looking at the whole picture. 

Sorry, but I am still don't see your point.  My original argument is that I believe him to be a quality player and many people got it all wrong at the time.  It sounds like you are not that far away from disagreeing with me.

Let me spell it out... People used to say he was sh*t, now he is playing for a top Championship club and has many plaudits. Those people who said he was terrible got it badly wrong in my opinion and were not looking at the whole picture. 

I think the reason it sounds like I'm not that far away from disagreeing is because I've barely commented upon Skuse's abilities or my opinion of them.

The point I have been making throughout is whereas you turn to Ipswich as evidencing something I don't think it evidences anything other than as a side Ipswich are a top championship side - it doesn't evidence the constituent parts top championship quality for example.

Going further my point is you could lift Cole Skuse from Ipswich and place him in any of the top 5, there's no indication as to how good he would look, you could then put him back in that Ipswich side and it all clicks again. It's all to do with roles and the interaction with the other 10.

Put mildly, I think when you mention Ipswich's exploits you are looking for proof where you won't find it or another way, you are looking for correlation without considering the variables.

I think the reason it sounds like I'm not that far away from disagreeing is because I've barely commented upon Skuse's abilities or my opinion of them.

The point I have been making throughout is whereas you turn to Ipswich as evidencing something I don't think it evidences anything other than as a side Ipswich are a top championship side - it doesn't evidence the constituent parts top championship quality for example.

Going further my point is you could lift Cole Skuse from Ipswich and place him in any of the top 5, there's no indication as to how good he would look, you could then put him back in that Ipswich side and it all clicks again. It's all to do with roles and the interaction with the other 10.

Put mildly, I think when you mention Ipswich's exploits you are looking for proof where you won't find it or another way, you are looking for correlation without considering the variables.

Think Collis is saying he's a good player.

I, personally, thought he was a shit player with us.

Think Collis is saying he's a good player.

I, personally, thought he was a shit player with us.

Nearly seconded, thought he was a player of average ability who stagnated over the seasons..

I dont quite understand where this top championship player is coming from.. there are far better players in the Championship and even at Ipswich. Watched the game against Norwich and he looked out of his depth against a very good midfield... bit like his time here towards the end.

Thought once Cisse left, it exposed him big time as Marv, bless him gave it his all but his own ability diminshed due to injuries

Archived