IGNORED

Aden Flint Signs New Contact

Negan

If he continues progressing as he has done, he'll be in the prem before 2019....with or without us!

Very true, but if he has a season like like his first one with us next time out, everyone will be moaning that the board haven't learned their lessons on giving out long contracts. Can't you remember the reaction to Cotterill getting a 3.5 year deal?

Hope it doesn't come to that obviously, but I was a bit surprised to hear it was 4 years.

Very true, but if he has a season like like his first one with us next time out, everyone will be moaning that the board haven't learned their lessons on giving out long contracts. Can't you remember the reaction to Cotterill getting a 3.5 year deal?

Hope it doesn't come to that obviously, but I was a bit surprised to hear it was 4 years.

I have the exact same reaction as you. Whilst on the one hand I am pleased - a player like last season until 2019 is a great prospect - but on the other I remember how some of those previous long-term deals following our last successful season ended up.

Ultimately I'm very surprised the club has sanctioned such a long deal.

I think it is the first time in a long time we have extended a players contract with more than two years left. Usually the player runs it down and ditches us, they are sold, or we let them run the contract down and let them go on a free.

Now we have players worthy of extensions, it's great to see it happening.

As Cotts is on holioday at the moment and Aden flew back to Dubai on Sunday, I'm hoping for one of these each morning to wake up to. Joe, Luke F, Korey & Luke A would be nice followed by Matt Smith in the door

On Monday ,late afternoon, Cotts was in Bristol, but he may have gone since?

As Cotts is on holioday at the moment and Aden flew back to Dubai on Sunday, I'm hoping for one of these each morning to wake up to. Joe, Luke F, Korey & Luke A would be nice followed by Matt Smith in the door

I've no doubt this is the sort of thing that will happen over the next couple of weeks.

Pack announced Monday, Flint today. We'll be drip fed news IMO.

Good idea as well, maintains interest through the quiet month and keeps City in the news.

As Cotts is on holioday at the moment and Aden flew back to Dubai on Sunday, I'm hoping for one of these each morning to wake up to. Joe, Luke F, Korey & Luke A would be nice followed by Matt Smith in the door

I thought that it was a bit odd that they've decided to wait before announcing that he signed the extension? Flinty flew out to Dubai on the weekend.....Economy Plus btw.....surely with his pay rise he could afford a Business Class Upgrade! :thumbsup:

Great news about time we give the right players extensions . I would of thought main reason flint got a extra 2 Years was to give him a pay rise nd warn off other teams .

Was great to watch all of his goals and still crazy to think how many he scored being a cb!

Great news about time we give the right players extensions . I would of thought main reason flint got a extra 2 Years was to give him a pay rise nd warn off other teams .

Was great to watch all of his goals and still crazy to think how many he scored being a cb!

On the flip side some one could be sniffing we've given him a longer contract so we could get more money from a sale (what Stevenage did with freeman)

:)

On the flip side some one could be sniffing we've given him a longer contract so we could get more money from a sale (what Stevenage did with freeman)

:)

there is this also but I think we d command a big offer and most teams would wait to see how he fairs in the championship .

Either way we are now protecting our assets rather then giving long contracts to journey men . I think only other players they may give long contracts to are Smith and Freeman.

there is this also but I think we d command a big offer and most teams would wait to see how he fairs in the championship .

Either way we are now protecting our assets rather then giving long contracts to journey men . I think only other players they may give long contracts to are Smith and Freeman.

And joe bryan?

I thought that it was a bit odd that they've decided to wait before announcing that he signed the extension? Flinty flew out to Dubai on the weekend.....Economy Plus btw.....surely with his pay rise he could afford a Business Class Upgrade! :thumbsup:

Just proves that we don't have players who consider themselves PRIMA DONNA's

Question.

Is this a genuine case of the club seeing real potential in Flint and therefore wanting to tie him down on a longer contract or is it more a case of his agent saying that he is due a pay rise and extension given his good form and that the club can't really argue with that and so have agreed to it to keep him happy and stop him looking for a move himself?

Probably a bit of both but am just playing devils advocat a bit and am not entirely convinced this is 100% in the clubs favour. (Don't get me wrong, I think this is good news)

Thoughts?

Question.

Is this a genuine case of the club seeing real potential in Flint and therefore wanting to tie him down on a longer contract or is it more a case of his agent saying that he is due a pay rise and extension given his good form and that the club can't really argue with that and so have agreed to it to keep him happy and stop him looking for a move himself?

Probably a bit of both but am just playing devils advocat a bit and am not entirely convinced this is 100% in the clubs favour. (Don't get me wrong, I think this is good news)

Thoughts?

I think the club do see the potential in him, but lets not kid ourselves it will be a lot harder in the Championship and that huge goal tally won't be matched again. He is obviously first and foremost a central defender, a key position that has taken a while to fill successfully. We do not want Flint being lured elsewhere and having to recruit for that position again. Also we know he works well with Fielding and the rest of the defence. Cotterill has all been about making as few changes as possible, lose Flint and our defence will unravel.

Yes he may still be poached, but by tying him down it will deter a lot of clubs. I guess many will see how he progresses this year and watch how we are doing too. Flint has committed to us, he has bought into the way the club is heading.

Another thing, Flint is very much the Poster Boy at the moment. His face was on the hoardings infront of the South Stand all season. He is a very strong character, his No, No, No brought him national attention. He is a huge personality (hard to ignore) who the fans have really taken to. The club, Bristol Sport,whoever must be delighted with this and the publicity he brings. They will want to keep him happy and make him feel wanted, can you imagine the backlash if he was sold now.

The personality is large. His goals tally was incredible. His organisational ability on the pitch is excellent.

But the most amazing thing is for a central defender in modern football at any level from Champions League to park football, to have only one yellow card in over 50 matches. And that one for a very minor, trivial offence v Sheff U.

A big character who overcame a horrible first year at the club to become a Bristol City giant in every way!

Archived