IGNORED

Categories Of Fans

sglosbcfc

Following on from Pongo88 post about types of Forum User, I think there are also categories of City fans, I'll make a start please add your own -

1. Ashton Alf - would never miss a home game, not even for a silly inconvenience like his daughter's wedding. Has never seen a bad player in a City shirt. Knows all referees are biased against The Robins and this is one of the injustices that has prevented us from dominating British football. Knows the Bristol Post, Radio Bristol, Bristol City Council etc etc are all Gas infested and working to bring about the demise of our great club.

2. Mr Hope Will Kill me - loves City but can only cope with any disappointment by continually predicting it. City will be found out in the Championship. Lansdown will walk away. The Rovers are on an unstoppable surge to become number one in Bristol. Freeman, Bryan etc will be gone in the summer.

3. Junior Hoolie - likes City but equally likes Danny Dyer. Won a fight against a kid at school once so now thinks he is ready for the terraces. Likes arriving in the stadium ten mins late and leaving ten mins early. Travels away to any ground where there may be trouble then positions himself safely away from any harm. Still trying to persuade his mum to let him have a City tattoo.

4. Mr Big Match - Big, big City fan...when they have a big, big match. Was at Wembley, Swindon, West Ham and Coventry games this season. He doesn't realise that the likes of Crewe and Rochdale even have a team.

5. Mr Proper Hoolie - tattoos spelt incorrectly, scar from when Millwall bounced half a brick off his head. Passionate City fan who remembers the 1988 Euro Champ t shirts BCFC these colours don't run and hasn't run in the intervening 27 years.

6. Mr Club Shop/Christmas Tree - this guy spends approximately 75% of his annual income in the megastore. In work he looks smart in his City club tie, match day is all about his replica kit, relaxes at home in his City onesie, turns the Mrs on with his City club pants, you know where he lives because you have noticed the BCFC curtains.

Over to you

Wasn't Ashton Alf some sort of City mascot in the 50s?

There was Ashton Alf for City and Eastville Ernie for Rovers.

They were cartoon characters in the Evil Post drawn by Bob Bennett, the father of the late Roger Bennett of Radio Bristol and local jazz scene fame.

The cartoons appeared in the Monday edition as part of the reporting of the previous Saturday games.

I'll add another I have just thought of, very small group but I have a couple of mates who fit this category

Mr Chips are Down - irregular attendees, opposite of Mr Big, Big Match. These guys turn up when the Reds really need their hardcore fans, but not very often otherwise. Bottom of the fourth division and away to Hartlepool, count these guys in.

I'll add a couple

The "Mr wise after the event"  - who always knew that a player or manager was rubbish, but kept that to himself while things were going well.

"Todd told you so" - it may have taken 3 seasons but he always knew that this was going to happen and couldn't wait to be proved right....

Following on from Pongo88 post about types of Forum User, I think there are also categories of City fans, I'll make a start please add your own -

1. Ashton Alf - would never miss a home game, not even for a silly inconvenience like his daughter's wedding. Has never seen a bad player in a City shirt. Knows all referees are biased against The Robins and this is one of the injustices that has prevented us from dominating British football. Knows the Bristol Post, Radio Bristol, Bristol City Council etc etc are all Gas infested and working to bring about the demise of our great club.

2. Mr Hope Will Kill me - loves City but can only cope with any disappointment by continually predicting it. City will be found out in the Championship. Lansdown will walk away. The Rovers are on an unstoppable surge to become number one in Bristol. Freeman, Bryan etc will be gone in the summer.

3. Junior Hoolie - likes City but equally likes Danny Dyer. Won a fight against a kid at school once so now thinks he is ready for the terraces. Likes arriving in the stadium ten mins late and leaving ten mins early. Travels away to any ground where there may be trouble then positions himself safely away from any harm. Still trying to persuade his mum to let him have a City tattoo.

4. Mr Big Match - Big, big City fan...when they have a big, big match. Was at Wembley, Swindon, West Ham and Coventry games this season. He doesn't realise that the likes of Crewe and Rochdale even have a team.

5. Mr Proper Hoolie - tattoos spelt incorrectly, scar from when Millwall bounced half a brick off his head. Passionate City fan who remembers the 1988 Euro Champ t shirts BCFC these colours don't run and hasn't run in the intervening 27 years.

6. Mr Club Shop/Christmas Tree - this guy spends approximately 75% of his annual income in the megastore. In work he looks smart in his City club tie, match day is all about his replica kit, relaxes at home in his City onesie, turns the Mrs on with his City club pants, you know where he lives because you have noticed the BCFC curtains.

Over to you

Mr Family Man - really loves the club but loves his family more. Works away from home a lot so doesn't feel he can then swan off on the weekend OR doesn't earn a lot and any spare cash is put towards days out with the kids and family. Goes to 5-8 games per season.

I've just read this and realised I fit almost perfectly into the Mr Hope Will Kill Me category (apart from the gas bit). Even in the fantastic season just gone when we stormed to the title I couldn't fully enjoy it until the final whistle in the Coventry game for fear that we'd mess up our chances of winning the league (I desperately wanted us to go up as champions after falling at the last hurdle in 1990 and 1998 - just winning promotion wouldn't have been quite enough). I distinctly remember feeling quite depressed after Preston had beaten Bradford 3-0 because I thought they might catch us. I need to try to be more optimistic!

Mr Family Man - really loves the club but loves his family more. Works away from home a lot so doesn't feel he can then swan off on the weekend OR doesn't earn a lot and any spare cash is put towards days out with the kids and family. Goes to 5-8 games per season.

Apart from the 5-8 games thats me, I am a season ticket holder and miss quite a few mid week games. Because I am away with work a lot I can only go to occasional away games, if i take my wife for the weekend at the same time.......

Longway fan. See 3-4 games live a season and stream if its possible. Otherwhise im listening to player. Every trip we make to watch our team is like christmas. We are alredy planning for the next trip. Will probably be in october.

Yes, this is me too. 6am every Saturday morning, listening to Player on my iphone. Have skived off work every time City has been on the tele to stream the game. I'm just waiting for fixtures to plan my next trip, probably January - March time frame. 

The "Choirboy":

Not interested in any real trouble but really loves his club and wants to sing for it 24/7. Whether it's at the game in a crowd of thousands or sat on a bar stool by himself; he's singing both parts of Red Army and he's singing it loud!

The Permanently On The Verge Of A Heart Attack Fan. Spends the entire match with a purple face shouting abuse at City / the opposition / the ref / other supporters.

The "Choirboy":

Not interested in any real trouble but really loves his club and wants to sing for it 24/7. Whether it's at the game in a crowd of thousands or sat on a bar stool by himself; he's singing both parts of Red Army and he's singing it loud!

This was me until Sheffield united season before last... At 3-0 down you realised ok I sound like a p***k right now...

The "Choirboy":

I feel that's me. Just want to get behind the team and not interested in any of this purposefully aiming for trouble.

Away Day Only Superfan - The atmosphere at AG is crap, there's nothing like being in the away end, singing your heart out for your team.

Very rare appearances at AG (just to check that they still play there)

Always moaning that ST holders and Members get preferential treatment even though they've been to every away game for the last five years.

(this character is fictional and any resemblance to somebody living or dead is purely coincidental)

Archived