IGNORED

Jamie Murphy

havanatopia

As a "decent" or "back up for Freeman", why would he be worth signing?

We want to ADD quality, not sign back up players :facepalm:

If he's worth signing, then Keith Burt must be sure he can do more than 'just a job' for us.

As much as I agree with what you are saying. What happens is freeman picks up a knock and is out for a month who plays in the hole?

We will have to get someone in now JET has gone and I doubt we could get someone as good as Freeman let alone better.

It will be about value for money not just buying better players.

As much as I agree with what you are saying. What happens is freeman picks up a knock and is out for a month who plays in the hole?

We will have to get someone in now JET has gone and I doubt we could get someone as good as Freeman let alone better.

Ayling could easily step up, however that leaves gaps elsewhere etc etc.

Ayling is widely thought of by his team mates as a better footballer than Freeman, even Jet said he was more technical than himself........I digress.......

Ayling is widely thought of by his team mates as a better footballer than Freeman, even Jet said he was more technical than himself........I digress.......

Ayling is a very talented footballer but never in a million years is he going to be our attacking milfielder.

IMO if thats the answer we could be in trouble next year...

We need back up in the Championship! We're not just going to start moving players positions round as cover :laugh:

And as for Ayling being thought as a better footballer then Freeman, where have you heard this from?

Three words:

summer page filler

The EP has to find something to write about during the off season so we can expect every rumour to get a full page write-up.

Yes I take your point. However the club seem to have a decent relationship with Stockhuesen and he wouldn't write a story like that without some sort of foundation.

Yes I take your point. However the club seem to have a decent relationship with Stockhuesen and he wouldn't write a story like that without some sort of foundation.

I disagree. AS has posted a similar story almost everyday this week. Full of "considering" & "potentially" but completely non committal. The club occasionally will rule out names when he takes rumours from Twitter but I think they only inform him of anything concrete not long before they tell the rest of us.

I'm not saying Murphy/Grigg/Camp are no interest to us but I'm not convinced the Post stories are anything more than hearsay.

We will have to get someone in now JET has gone and I doubt we could get someone as good as Freeman let alone better.

It's more about ensuring that if we sign another 'number 10' player, they need to push/pip freeman for a place in the line up.

Not about buying backup players.

It's more about ensuring that if we sign another 'number 10' player, they need to push/pip freeman for a place in the line up.

Not about buying backup players.

Yes it is but then that's your opinion on Jamie Murphy that he wouldn't do that...

I think he's more than adequate to keep freeman on his toes, don't get me wrong freeman would start 99.9% of the time but I couldn't name one person that ticks all the boxes and could do a better job than freeman.

Brighton or us? Do me a favour... no contest.

Brighton or us??? Us every time ....

Erm, higher level??

The same Brighton who just avoided relegation from the same league we are now in?!

Just to clarify I meant that he is unlikely to join us as a backup when he has the chance to play in the same league (A higher level then he is now) and be first choice.

We are clearly more attractive then Brighton atm if we are both offering the same role/wage.

Yes it is but then that's your opinion on Jamie Murphy that he wouldn't do that...

I think he's more than adequate to keep freeman on his toes, don't get me wrong freeman would start 99.9% of the time but I couldn't name one person that ticks all the boxes and could do a better job than freeman.

I haven't discredited Murphy's abilities. Though it was mentioned prior that he'd be a good back up player. That's what I originally addressed.

If he's good enough to displace Freeman then he'd be worth attempting to sign.

I don't know how good this guy is?!

Edited by Scrumpy

I disagree. AS has posted a similar story almost everyday this week. Full of "considering" & "potentially" but completely non committal. The club occasionally will rule out names when he takes rumours from Twitter but I think they only inform him of anything concrete not long before they tell the rest of us.

I'm not saying Murphy/Grigg/Camp are no interest to us but I'm not convinced the Post stories are anything more than hearsay.

They are almost certainly hearsay...Someone said it and he heard it and repeated it in the paper.

The Journo will need to make friends in order to get stories, unfortunately that is how it works in most cases. Stockheusen has been thanked/recognised by those within the club publicly and there is a somewhat symbiotic relationship.

People read post, club keep us interested in whom we may go for...I suspect Stockheusen has some kind of list to who we could be interested in at the right price etc. Some will come off some wont, but he does appear to have an idea of targets.

I think it is highly likely Murphy is on our list of targets, though think we'd be seeing him as a striker option rather than in Freeman's role.

Sheff U changing their manager also means he is more likely to move, his goal scoring record isn't great but his work rate and ability to play for the team will have impressed us.

We may not sign him but if we don't someone of a similar experience and age almost certainly will arrive this summer.

9 in 39 last season

WDP suggesting he is a possible target. Where do these rumours come from? Lot of hot hair ballony or are there leaks?

Not sure he brings anything better than we already have quite frankly.

agree with OP, 9 in 39 games for team that finished in top six - doesn't seem anything to write home about.

Even though we have been successful using our wingback system we will need a plan b. I am sure SC is aware that most teams in the championship last season played with a back 4 and only one striker. If we needed to switch to that system then we would need genuine attacking wide players. Murphys 9 goals in 39 was not too shabby in my opinion for a wide player.

Even though we have been successful using our wingback system we will need a plan b. I am sure SC is aware that most teams in the championship last season played with a back 4 and only one striker. If we needed to switch to that system then we would need genuine attacking wide players. Murphys 9 goals in 39 was not too shabby in my opinion for a wide player.

Try telling the coaching experts

This.

Pretty sure we will sign a winger this summer for the reason you state. Whether it's Murphy we'll have to wait and see...

agree with OP, 9 in 39 games for team that finished in top six - doesn't seem anything to write home about.

I think it's scandalous when I see posts like the above.

<quotes games, goals and league position to judge the individual player>

Can you quote me Luke Freeman's before he signed for us. Or shall I do it for you?

Maybe we shouldn't have signed him because if his games/goals/club finishing position?! What do you think?

It's all in the wording. A player being "on a club's radar" or "considering a bid for" means diddlysquat when you actually think about it. All decent players should be on our radar and be under consideration. For every position we will have a database of about 50 suitable players, so yes they're on our radar. Until we actually bid it's just page fillers.