IGNORED

Wade Elliott Has Accepted The Job As Bristol City's Under-21 Manager

Touch_my_butter

This is outstanding news for us but a bittersweet day for Wade because it marks the end of a long and distinguished playing career. He performed remarkably well for City and led us to the title in the most professional and virtuous manner possible. He epitomises the term "role model". That he can now teach our young professionals the way that the game should be played will stand our club in good stead hopefully for many years to come (although I do suspect that it won't be too long before a lower league club offer him a management role).

He has a bright management future, I'm sure. Congratulations Wade!

Great news and a move I've mooted since early in his City career.

Though finding coaching positions for players just because they were long serving or popular is imo a terrible policy which should in almost every case be avoided, the argument for keeping this comparatively short serving but rightly popular character on the staff is overwhelming.

A model pro, a clearly intelligent and well spoken individual and a terrific role model for our younger players to look up to and attempt to emulate.

He'll be a ideal conduit between the younger players and a manager he clearly admires and gets on with, and in the short to medium term - he'll go on to manage in his own right imo. - continue to be a tremendous asset to the club in his important new role.

We all like Wade and it's good for morale to have him still at the club.

However good players do not always make good managers - even at U21 level - so let's see how he does before we judge how well this'll work.

Agree but we all have to start somewhere and I for one am glad that his start is at AG, where he is appreciated by staff and fans alike, because he is a class act.

Excellent news. I noticed that SC said that the under 21s need structure and disepline. I wonder if that was a general comment or a criticism of the outgoing coach?

Given the season they've had, Under-18s or not, it's still been a mess.

Really pleased this has gone through, wanted him to stay but had a feeling he'd go. Great stuff.

Not sure there's been a better reception for an incoming under 21 manager, speaks volumes for Wade - as a professional and a person. Good to see him on board and sticking around the club, fantastic news

Agree but we all have to start somewhere and I for one am glad that his start is at AG, where he is appreciated by staff and fans alike, because he is a class act.

I certainly agree it's worth a punt. He would seem to have all the right qualities.

Excellent news. I noticed that SC said that the under 21s need structure and disepline. I wonder if that was a general comment or a criticism of the outgoing coach?

Well, I hope he stays at the club longer than Mark O'Connor did. Wade is a good age still young and keen to succeed, has a

better playing pedigree too. He also knows what SC wants so will be a good link in the chain.

if he stays fit,could he still be a sub if needed?

He's not been offered a playing contract.

Having said that I think people can be registered as players fairly easily, in the event of a emergency (which wouldn't happen)!

Great stuff.

Though Red-Robbo is entirely correct to urge caution, as great players do not always great coaches make, I'd suggest Elliott has as good a chance as any, and in terms of timing (immediately post-double winning season as club captain), and the impression that he gives over in press and indeed reports from fans, he seems to be an excellent role model and professional, which hopefully will rub off on the young players under his direction.

The very immediate link to the first team dressing room is no small matter, either; not only will he be in a position to council the u21s on playing matters, but also on how thing operate under the gaffer in that environment, and imagine there is significant mutual respect and trust between him and Cotts, which I hope perhaps see us taking one or two chances with bringing up players from that level over the coming seasons.

I had thought Wade would go and maybe play for a season more, but as with Flint's extension, see this as a very positive sign, in that Elliott thinks sticking with this club currently is a good bet, and as with Flinty, hope it helps clarify in the minds of our other important individuals that we are a decent bet going forward.

Excellent news for a Monday afternoon!

He has a UEFA B coaching license at the minimum.

He has or he is working towards it?

That level of qualification is not the type you get at the South Bristol sports centre after a week. It has to be evidence based and requires a high level of previous qualified learning.

Wade Elliott comes across as a bright man who may have been working towards a role like this at his previous club for years.

Archived