IGNORED

Apparently We're All Anxious

GrahamC

Summer Anxiety  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think we are coming over as anxious, maybe he is trying a different approach to see if he can get any info from the club. The info is now very leakproof compared to before the arrival of Cotterill isn't it, and rightly so. He's just angling for a story.

I was in Glastonbury last year when news of Smith signing broke, think Freeman was also happening or strong rumours around that time too. Glasto is not for a couple of weeks yet so I'm not expecting much if anything to happen until this time again. End of June/ beginning of July when the players report back. I'm expecting deals to be done early again as getting players and bedding them in whilst on training camp was said to be key last season. Cotterill is very much a creature of habit so I am expecting the same approach.

So Stockhaussen, if you want a message it this: In Steve Cotterill we trust.

• Admin

OTIB is the epitomy of hyperbole & over-reaction yet all in here seem quite calm and are just enjoying the contract renewals at the moment. Bored maybe but not anxious.

However, if you replace the word "supporters" with "local journalists" it makes much more sense.

More bullshit from a 4th rate sports "journalist"

This place would be in meltdown of we were anxious,

The fact that 2 of our best players and another pretty good play has signed contract extensions is more important then a signing imo

More bullshit from a 4th rate sports "journalist"

This place would be in meltdown of we were anxious,

The fact that 2 of our best players and another pretty good play has signed contract extensions is more important then a signing imo

Andy is a decent local journalist, doing what local journalists do.  He must be finding it tough to get a story at this time of year, particularly with so little activity in the market.  I think anxiety about signings is pretty inevitable, so he's not far off the mark.  However, he is a journalist trying to find a story, and normally I find him pretty supportive of the activities of Bristol City, so I'd suggest we give him a break.

Andy is a decent local journalist, doing what local journalists do.  He must be finding it tough to get a story at this time of year, particularly with so little activity in the market.  I think anxiety about signings is pretty inevitable, so he's not far off the mark.  However, he is a journalist trying to find a story, and normally I find him pretty supportive of the activities of Bristol City, so I'd suggest we give him a break.

Woah! Stop talking sense

Meh, it's obviously space filling drivel. 

I do wonder in this day and age why newspapers do it, especially for the print version. Why not just do away with sport for that day and have a para within the paper 'nothing to see here, we will bring you news when it happens'? Far better than inane crap like that for the sake of reporting something out of nothing.

Inevitable maybe if we were in August - but not usually when the transfer window is closed and the only players out there are the ones being released. Except for out of contract players has any transfer actually been agreed in England yet by any club? Certainly passed me by if so.  

We've all seen the list of players available, if we be realistic I don't think there's many (any) who are realistic targets, would improve the side and it would be concerning if we weren't at least trying.

There also seems to be universal agreement about how well SC and KB have done in the transfer market. Significantly I would suggest most are not anxious and happy to leave them to get on with it.

So yeah I think he is wide of the mark and I think he has just written a piece for the sake of it with nil substance. Agree that's what local journo's do. In my opinion the decent journalists say what needs to be said in the most concise format possible and nothing more. That does not sound like AS to me.

Meh, it's obviously space filling drivel. 

I do wonder in this day and age why newspapers do it, especially for the print version. Why not just do away with sport for that day and have a para within the paper 'nothing to see here, we will bring you news when it happens'? Far better than inane crap like that for the sake of reporting something out of nothing.

Essentially the same as writing 'there's no news this week' on the front page...

• Admin

According to Stockhausen this morning fans are getting "anxious by the perceived lack of action in the transfer market".

What utter bollocks, it isn't even the middle of June for fuck's sake.

Graham, I've added a very simple yes/no poll question to your original poll after Mr Stockhausen this morning revealed to me that this is what City fans he meets are telling him. Also claims he doesn't read OTIB so he won't see this reply.

Graham, I've added a very simple yes/no poll question to your original poll after Mr Stockhausen this morning revealed to me that this is what City fans he meets are telling him. Also claims he doesn't read OTIB so he won't see this reply.

Well that's all fair enough, but if you look at his Twitter feed he rarely seems to be in Bristol anyway, so apart from the few usual suspects who seem to converse with him on there I do wonder where he gets this from.

For what it's worth I'm actually more anxious on the stadium re-build myself but just like Keith Burt and Steve Cotterill with the recruitment, I accept at present that it is in the hands of professionals who presumably know what they're doing..

He has replied

The evidence is based upon conversations I have with City fans - and I am approached by plenty when I'm at cricket or just out and about in town. Anxiety is probably the wrong word to be honest - I sense more of an impatience. But everybody I speak to has faith in Steve Cotterill and Keith Burt to deliver good signings whenever that might be. Rather than persist in bashing the reporter, it would be refreshing if readers instead passed comment on what the chairman is saying. He doesn't often give interviews and I think he makes some very interesting points.

• Admin

He has replied

The evidence is based upon conversations I have with City fans - and I am approached by plenty when I'm at cricket or just out and about in town. Anxiety is probably the wrong word to be honest - I sense more of an impatience. But everybody I speak to has faith in Steve Cotterill and Keith Burt to deliver good signings whenever that might be. Rather than persist in bashing the reporter, it would be refreshing if readers instead passed comment on what the chairman is saying. He doesn't often give interviews and I think he makes some very interesting points.

He does, and maybe those points would have been debated if the reported had resisted bashing the supporter-base ;)

And the 1 comment before his on the Post website asked him a question. The interactions I saw on twitter asked him questions. A few people refuted the label he put on us.

In fact the only person I've seen doing any kind of "bashing" is Mr Stockhausen. Just put your hand up and say you judged the vibe wrong & we all move on. If we don't after you admit a mistake we are just dicks and not worth worrying about.

Not that you'll read this advice of course.

He has replied

What a no mark response. I reported it because that's what I say I heard in conversations I say I have had. 'I get approached by plenty' - it'd have to be to generalise considering 40,000 went to Wembley.

If the chairman's points were so interesting why not make that the article and not an impression he claims to have been given.

I'm sure Mr Cotterill has more interesting things to do on his holidays then chat to the Bristol Post........ 

He's probably chatting to a few players in some Dubai hotel gym as we speak :D

It was a blessed relief a couple of seasons ago.

Wasn't it just!!!!! I hate the end of the season but Christ June 2013 could not have come any quicker ;)

Archived