IGNORED

Red Trousers....

Slippin cider

Oh dear I've upset the pouty man child. But wait, the predictable nonsense continues, the standard anti Tory post no matter how unrelated.

But to draw this back on topic, and moving away from your favourite subject, yourself, the summers always had a a more relaxed posting policy. This isn't the BBC or North Korea.

My objection is that this subject has been done to death.

Someone posts something about Ferguson - in this case that he's trying to crowd-fund his campaign, which as an independent doesn't seem very surprising. You then get lots of people posting "what a bell end" and a smaller number of others defending him.

We've read it all before.

If you could see beyond your own petty bigotry and envy based, playground standard, trolling you might read that I've actually posted some quite critical things about Ferguson - someone I don't really know, but probably have the advantage over some posters of having met briefly twice. I'm certainly not a firm supporter of his policies and I was vocal in opposition to his assertion that a supermarket at Ashton Gate would ruin North Street.

As a non-Bristol resident, it's tough to tell if he's shit or sugar overall.

There was a sound point to posting things about the situation with Somerset CC. However useless Ferguson and BCC may be, at least they haven't appointed Britain's most expensive council officer - having paid Britain's largest local government fee to a corporate headhunter to get him - and then had to sack the guy six months on when standards lowered rather than improved.

The motto. The grass isn't always greener in other areas.

It may not be a popular view but he has transcended party politics and actually got stuff done.

As has been stated, most of this "stuff" was either in the pipeline already or vanity green projects that have benefited the few. The Arena and South Bristol ring road could benefit the many - if they ever happen - but he ain't solely responsible for either. In the meantime he has a record of vociferously campaigning against BCFC to protect his own business interests in BS3. **** him.

At the present rate his lasting legacy will be improved pedestrian access to the bearpit at St James Barton roundabout.

Wow. Just wow.

It seems most people are quick to blame George personally for anything negative but wish to assign collective responsibility for any good projects.

Quite a lot of these projects have been around for donkeys years but seem to have made tangible headwind under his tenure, with the removal of party squabbling.

Changes like the new collection service would never have been approved under the old council as the privatisation vs public sector provision debate would have ensued. It may not work, it may not be cost effective, you may not like it but he has got it done.

RPZ seems hugely popular in Clifton, the make Sundays special have promoted Bristol in National Press, the Bristol boiler scheme and other home improvements go beyond other comparable schemes.

A few examples of getting stuff done. You don't have to like him to see that element. I've got no real opinion on him and can't vote as I live out of the boundaries but he has made a difference. Positive or negative is for you to judge.

There's very little justification for ever closing the Portway yet it's happening more and more frequently for ever more absurd reasons.

Plenty of other places these minority activities can take place without inconveniencing and aggravating thousands of motorists.

Ashton Court for instance.

Bath shuts the upper and lower Bristol roads for its half marathon.

All major Cities want to host major events such as these, and Bristol is very much a major City. One day hopefully Bristol's growing athletics events could rival the world known great North run. Mr Ferguson is not responsible for the success of events like the half marathon which has cross party support, the people of Bristol and its surrounding regions are.

Running is not a minority sport, its up there with angling as a one of the UK's most popular.

Ashton Court would be a poor venue for what are prestgious road events.

Bath shuts the upper and lower Bristol roads for its half marathon.

All major Cities want to host major events such as these, and Bristol is very much a major City. One day hopefully Bristol's growing athletics events could rival the world known great North run. Mr Ferguson is not responsible for the success of events like the half marathon which has cross party support, the people of Bristol and its surrounding regions are.

Running is not a minority sport, its up there with angling as a one of the UK's most popular.

Ashton Court would be a poor venue for what are prestgious road events.

Is there not a difference between a closed road for an event with 10000+ participants and a closed road for an event with 1 family and a dog having a picnic?

Is there not a difference between a closed road for an event with 10000+ participants and a closed road for an event with 1 family and a dog having a picnic?

The events in question are very well attended. In some cases better attended than Ashton Gate.

Yeah there were at least 14,000 on the Portway last Sunday if not more!

Yes in some cases in some cases better attended than Ashton Gate i.e The Bristol half marathon this year will have 15000 runners.

As a supporter and coach of one aerobic activity in football I welcome Bristol being freely associated with the South Wests premier running events.

Sustrans has also successfully opposed the reopening of rail routes, even those that would take heavy loads off the roads. It is a secretive cabal with internal structures that rival those of the Merchant Venturers.

Hmmm. It's a charity with a named board of trustees, and named officers running it. You can see their accounts online.

So, not really like the Merchant Venturers.

I find those Sustrans cycle maps quite useful, but I do agree with you regarding their stance on railways. If you are meant to promote public transport, promote all of it.

Sustrans has also successfully opposed the reopening of rail routes, even those that would take heavy loads off the roads. It is a secretive cabal with internal structures that rival those of the Merchant Venturers.

Almost like the other group "Transport for Greater Bristol", a more misleading title you could not wish for. The main protagonist and spokes person is  Pip Sheard.  It should be titled "No Transport For Greater Bristol" as they seem to oppose everything but cycling walking and now the urban railway, with the latter being the best long term option for mass transport, unless they propose more use of the tandem and piggy backs.

"There can be No justification for continually closing the Portway so Idiots can dress up in silly clothes and run up and down"

A quote from this thread.

The Portway is not being continually closed.

Whatever point you are making one off events being every two weeks is lost on me, they would cease to be one off events. Forget interest waning physical condition for long distance running is harder to achieve than fitness for ninety minutes of football. Half marathons are not to be taken lightly.

As for playing out if you think fraud via nepotism is being committed don't bleat about it on here, do something about it. Playing in the street was part of my childhood, its something kids including mine cannot do in the road I live in. So here is a contrary, view done Emily Ferguson for trying to put fun back into peoples lives.

Sustrans again a contrary view. Sustrans adds to the rich tapestry of this fine City. Take your concerns up with the charity commission if they have any validity at all.

Sustrans has friends in very high places. What gets up my nose is the way they talk about "walking and cycling routes". Try walking on one of those during school holidays and see how far it gets you - literally!

"There can be No justification for continually closing the Portway so Idiots can dress up in silly clothes and run up and down"

A quote from this thread.

The Portway is not being continually closed.

Whatever point you are making one off events being every two weeks is lost on me, they would cease to be one off events. Forget interest waning physical condition for long distance running is harder to achieve than fitness for ninety minutes of football. Half marathons are not to be taken lightly.

As for playing out if you think fraud via nepotism is being committed don't bleat about it on here, do something about it. Playing in the street was part of my childhood, its something kids including mine cannot do in the road I live in. So here is a contrary, view done Emily Ferguson for trying to put fun back into peoples lives.

Sustrans again a contrary view. Sustrans adds to the rich tapestry of this fine City. Take your concerns up with the charity commission if they have any validity at all.

Cowshead, sorry for the late reply, (computer problems) why the abrasive response? The first 50% of your reply to my post was not about my post.

If you cannot understand something written, here's some advice read it again.

I was making a comparison between an event that you obviously support, which is only held once a year. I was not attacking that event, or comparing the different abilities required for each sport, which you seem to have needlessly explained in your eagerness to reply to my post. I was merely stating that the event is well promoted and only takes place annually, as such it is likely to be well supported. I made a hypothetical comparison with a top class important, one off game of football held at Ashton Gate and claimed that the attendance would be considerably higher if the capacity allowed it. I don't care if they shut the Portway for events like this, they're good for the city, I do object to the closing of main arterial routes for nothing more than appeasing the whimsical views of a group of people having the ability to  manipulate the man at the top. I do not object in the slightest to a group of young mums trying to give their kids a better environment  for them to play in. And I do not claim there to be any hint of fraud in the dealings of the Mayor and his daughter and the various cycling lobby groups, just favourtisim. I believe all citizens should be catered for.

Archived