IGNORED

A Myth Confirmed As Fact

richwwtk

Sorry if it's already been noted but not seen it anywhere....

It's often mentioned that we don't play at home on the same day as the Balloon Festival, and it's often shouted down as a myth and that the league fixtures make no allowance for that at all.

Radio 5 this morning interviewed the guy who has been in charge of the fixtures for the last 23 years, and he actually used the example of the Balloon Festival in Bristol being something that they need to take into account when compiling the fixtures.

So they really do try and make sure we are away that weekend.

It's often mentioned that we don't play at home on the same day as the Balloon Festival, and it's often shouted down as a myth and that the league fixtures make no allowance for that at all.

Radio 5 this morning interviewed the guy who has been in charge of the fixtures for the last 23 years, and he actually used the example of the Balloon Festival in Bristol being something that they need to take into account when compiling the fixtures.

I remember the last time we were at home on the Saturday of the Ballon Festival, it took two hours to get back to Portishead!

it took two hours to get back to Portishead!

I used to have a car like that. But I do know that we requested an away game to begin so as to give us an extra week to get the stand finished. Also they were praying for an away draw in the cup.

The whole area was gridlocked with nothing moving for ages and ended up going via M32, M4 and M5.

Well, we did play at home on the same weekend as the Balloon thing in 2007 vs QPR...

They also say that they make considered efforts to keep midweek games as local as possible. Do they ****..!

As already mentioned several times, the Carlisle v Plymouth example is surely just taking the piss..?!

They have mentioned before that club's are allowed to put requests in but that they can't always be honoured. In our case it must be a fairly simple request as it is nearly always honoured.

We aren't requesting it. The police or Council will be demanding it. The football league are not of higher Authority than those responsible for licensing and overseeing large events.

Can't please everyone

But Carlisle away to Plymouth on a Tuesday night shouldn't be allowed!!

I remember a while back the football league say that the fixture computer was programmed to create fixyures such as this because lower league clubs ask for such long trips to be in midweek. It allows travel there and back in a day, no hotel costs, which couldn't be achieved with a 3 oclock kick off.

Whether this fixuure relates to deliberate fl programming or whether this is an "accidental" fixture I don't know

• Admin

I remember a while back the football league say that the fixture computer was programmed to create fixyures such as this because lower league clubs ask for such long trips to be in midweek. It allows travel there and back in a day, no hotel costs, which couldn't be achieved with a 3 oclock kick off.

Whether this fixuure relates to deliberate fl programming or whether this is an "accidental" fixture I don't know

Would that journey actually be any more beneficial being at 3pm or 7:45pm - don't see it personally

They also say that they make considered efforts to keep midweek games as local as possible. Do they ****..!

As already mentioned several times, the Carlisle v Plymouth example is surely just taking the piss..?!

I think they should take a balanced approach to this - if they are going to make a midweek game more than 2 hours away then they should make it as far as possible.

Archived