IGNORED

Style Or Substance?

And Its Smith

You mention 'style of football'....for as long as I can remember....City have pretty much played with two wingers.

That was our 'Style'....thank God Cots got rid of that mullarky.

I've always felt it has held us back.

I've always wondered why pretty much every manager who came here played with wingers....were they under instruction to do so?

Football can be very entertaining without wingers....as last season proved.

Gone are the days....hopefully....of seeing two of our players stuck to the sides....waiting for the ball....only to usually go on a mazy run that 'excited' fans, and then to run into a brick wall.

Hopefully we don't go back to that way of playing....it's dead. Teams can defend to easily against it.

The 3-5-2 we play still has width though. And we do quite well out of it because Bryan can actually cross the ball - something many "wingers" have forgotten how to do and one of the reasons your stats stack up. You cannot just play down the middle though - there really is nothing easier to defend against. You still have to get width into your play and it's and out and out myth to suggest that top teams like Barcelona only "play down the middle".

The 3-5-2 we play still has width though. And we do quite well out of it because Bryan can actually cross the ball - something many "wingers" have forgotten how to do and one of the reasons your stats stack up. You cannot just play down the middle though - there really is nothing easier to defend against. You still have to get width into your play and it's and out and out myth to suggest that top teams like Barcelona only "play down the middle".

I totally agree...but the width we create is done like you say in a 3-5-2...not a 4-4-2. Both Little and Bryan track back and work their socks off.

It's a different kind of play, compared to 'traditional' wingers which we've played in the past.

If you do some research...Stats suggest it's easier to defend against crosses than passes in and around the box.

A cross automatically becomes a 50/50 ball.

But yes...you need to utilise all of the pitch.

I totally agree...but the width we create is done like you say in a 3-5-2...not a 4-4-2. Both Little and Bryan track back and work their socks off.

It's a different kind of play, compared to 'traditional' wingers which we've played in the past.

If you do some research...Stats suggest it's easier to defend against crosses than passes in and around the box.

A cross automatically becomes a 50/50 ball.

But yes...you need to utilise all of the pitch.

It is with most wide men I agree. Too many players just hit the ball into an area. But then you get players like Beckham who had the ability to pick out a man with a cross with regularity. And Wilbraham didn't do bad last season from a few of Bryan's crosses - the one at Peterborough on the run was probably the best cross at any level all season.

Although I do agree with your point that the out and out touchline hugging winger who gets a nosebleed in his own half is a thing of the past.

Option One.

Pleas define pretty football! I like winning football.

To me a deflection off Aden flints ass is the same as a Derik Williams 69 yarder.

tgis season wasn't always pretty but we smashed the league.

Do you jump harder if it's a 40 pass team move or a 90th minute toe punt from 2 yards?

What I liked about last season was that even though we played great football most weeks the boys did have it in them to grind out a result if they had to .The team seemed to have lots of spirit and always battled to the end ,resulting in some late winners .So you can play great football and have enough about you as a team to win ugly if need be.

Option One.

Pleas define pretty football! I like winning football.

To me a deflection off Aden flints ass is the same as a Derik Williams 69 yarder.

tgis season wasn't always pretty but we smashed the league.

Do you jump harder if it's a 40 pass team move or a 90th minute toe punt from 2 yards?

If City are not going to play passing football get rid of the Bryans and Freemans get some shift workers in and close down the academy and sign players like White Holloway and Jones to punt and smash the ball into the air. Then a large part of we can stay at home. Win ugly and look ugly was the gas way

I'll be controversial and say teams very rarely finish with 60 points - around 12th - 14th in the table - playing regularly entertaining, free-flowing football.

There are absolutely different ways to win regularly - but do teams really play an exciting, expansive, attacking brand of football most weeks but lose 20 times across a campaign?

There are exceptions to every rule, of course, but I think the quality of play generally dictates where teams finish in the league.

I think this debate is a slight myth.

I think it can go both ways - you can play good or rubbish football and still get promoted but I don't think you can play good football and relegated (obviously you can play bad football and get relegated).

If City are not going to play passing football get rid of the Bryans and Freemans get some shift workers in and close down the academy and sign players like White Holloway and Jones to punt and smash the ball into the air. Then a large part of we can stay at home. Win ugly and look ugly was the gas way

........and breathe......

;-)

Archived