IGNORED

Adam El Abd

bobajob

A strange one really.  I remember we signed him and scrolled through Twitter and Brighton fans talking about what a great player he was & how sad they were to see him go.  Just didnt work out for him here i guess.  To be fair, it wasnt the best period for us here when he did join.

Obviously, done something right at Bury with them getting promoted.  Unless, their other 10 players are class and carried him.

I feel sorry for the bloke. Clearly he didn't get off to the best start here, and then it looked like his confidence abandoned him. I really hopes he finds a club and settles well.

Known around these parts as "Fontainitus".

I only saw him play once and thought he was ok but obviously the Gate was not going to be his home.  I gather he did well at Bury which is a lovely club and I hope, for his sake, that he stays there and does not join the scumbags at Swindle.

There was a lot of talk that he didn't settle in Bristol and his family didn't settle.

Yet he's done ok at Bury....go figure...having lived near Bury for 3 years, I know Bristol is far more like the Brighton area.

When he signed, I was told he was earning in excess of 10 Grand a week for us...I hope he moves on. I should imagine we were paying a big chunk of his wages when at Bury too.

There was a lot of talk that he didn't settle in Bristol and his family didn't settle.

Yet he's done ok at Bury....go figure...having lived near Bury for 3 years, I know Bristol is far more like the Brighton area.

When he signed, I was told he was earning in excess of 10 Grand a week for us...I hope he moves on. I should imagine we were paying a big chunk of his wages when at Bury too.

Think the fact that Bury were in the bottom division had plenty to do with him succeeding on the pitch up there.

Just don't think he's good enough, may get away with it in League One if he joins any of the sides said to be interested, no chance in The Championship.

Question, when you have 'stuff' going on in your personal life do you always perform to the same level at work? Are you as productive and effective as when you are happy and 'in a good place'?

I'm not suggesting anything but if indeed he and his family did struggle to settle in Bristol (for whatever reason and whatever that actually means) then it's quite understandable that his performances on the pitch were effected. Don't think it's a clear cut case of him not being good enough for us. He was clearly good enough for Brighton in the championship but life can be complicated and footballers are humans too!

The talk that I heard was that he came to us because he knew Bristol well because his brother..? Played rugby here and he liked the place.

It clearly didn't work out here for him. I hope he does ok in the future, unless he signs for Swindon.

Question, when you have 'stuff' going on in your personal life do you always perform to the same level at work? Are you as productive and effective as when you are happy and 'in a good place'?

I'm not suggesting anything but if indeed he and his family did struggle to settle in Bristol (for whatever reason and whatever that actually means) then it's quite understandable that his performances on the pitch were effected. Don't think it's a clear cut case of him not being good enough for us. He was clearly good enough for Brighton in the championship but life can be complicated and footballers are humans too!

Your personal life can have a HUGE impact on your work, and vice versa. Everyone forgets that footballers are human, with human strengths and weaknesses the same as average Joe public, but I can only imagine that in a testosterone filled environment like professional football no man is going to want to admit to being 'weak'.

I recently had time of work for a serious injury. Going back to work and coping mentally and emotionally has been harder than dealing with the physical recovery side of things and the pain management. Realising that and then talking to my peers to ask for help was hard and, to a certain extent, was met with an air of 'just man up and get on with it'.

Imagine coping with that in a dressing room atmosphere.

Now I'm not saying BCFC are not sympathetic or in any way criticising our Club, I admit I am generalising about football and sport as whole, from a fans point of view.

So if family/ personal issues have affected his form and a move works for him and his family, then the best of luck to them.

Didn't work out for him here not the first wont be the last. Move on.

Absolutely right. Doesn't make him a bad player or anything else that has been said on here. It just hasn't worked out and probably best for both parties if they go their separate ways.

From what I've heard (know quite a few Brighton season ticket holders) he's a proper down to earth bloke with none of the big time charlie attitude.

Clearly surplus to our requirements, things haven't gone to plan, so why not wish him well wherever he ends up.

I feel sorry for the bloke. Clearly he didn't get off to the best start here, and then it looked like his confidence abandoned him. I really hopes he finds a club and settles well.

i think you're on the wrong forum, here you have to be obsessed with Swindon and criticise El Abd in every post

I posted on another thread about seeing El Abd in town, on a matchday with his family - the bloke looked completely zoned out. Seemed to me there was more to it than his face not fitting

I moved jobs once and realised about 15 mins I'd ****** up, took me 9 months to find something else, and it pretty much killed my marriage. I was a different man, didn't want to go anywhere, do anything, see anyone - it was awful. Anyone who slags the bloke off is either incredibly lucky that their life is so perfect they've never felt like this, or a complete****. To be honest, I'm tending to think '****' reading some of the stuff on here

Good luck, wherever you end up - even if it's Swindle, if that makes you happy then go for it

In all honesty I wouldn't write him off anytime soon. There's clearly a good player in there, Brighton knew it, SC and Burt clearly saw it, we just couldn't get it to work here. What I do wonder is whether given one more crack he could transform opinions just like Fielding and Flint have done.

As fate would have it we've been promoted and couldn't reasonably promise him a few settled games to show what he can do. My gut feeling is though someone in League One could be getting a bit of a bargain.

I posted on another thread about seeing El Abd in town, on a matchday with his family - the bloke looked completely zoned out. Seemed to me there was more to it than his face not fitting

I moved jobs once and realised about 15 mins I'd ****** up, took me 9 months to find something else, and it pretty much killed my marriage. I was a different man, didn't want to go anywhere, do anything, see anyone - it was awful. Anyone who slags the bloke off is either incredibly lucky that their life is so perfect they've never felt like this, or a complete ****. To be honest, I'm tending to think '****' reading some of the stuff on here

Good luck, wherever you end up - even if it's Swindle, if that makes you happy then go for it

Well said mate. I really hope he doesn't end up at Swindon though, not least because I'll have to change my picture on here!

In all honesty I wouldn't write him off anytime soon. There's clearly a good player in there, Brighton knew it, SC and Burt clearly saw it, we just couldn't get it to work here. What I do wonder is whether given one more crack he could transform opinions just like Fielding and Flint have done.

As fate would have it we've been promoted and couldn't reasonably promise him a few settled games to show what he can do. My gut feeling is though someone in League One could be getting a bit of a bargain.

There was rather than there is.

Players age differently. Some are the same - or better - in their early 30s than their early 20s.

For some, physical decline sets in as they move through their 20s.

I think that's the story of Mr El Abd.

There was rather than there is.

Players age differently. Some are the same - or better - in their early 30s than their early 20s.

For some, physical decline sets in as they move through their 20s.

I think that's the story of Mr El Abd.

Could well be, but I don't think he's a cause beyond a punt.

Pains me to say it but from a footballing perspective I think he would thrive at Swindon. He would completely buy in to the win at all costs mentality. Plenty of places to live commutable from Swindon too... Bristol for one if it was the club not the place he couldn't settle in; Brighton even if training and rest days allowed it.

Could well be, but I don't think he's a cause beyond a punt.

Pains me to say it but from a footballing perspective I think he would thrive at Swindon. He would completely buy in to the win at all costs mentality. Plenty of places to live commutable from Swindon too... Bristol for one if it was the club not the place he couldn't settle in; Brighton even if training and rest days allowed it.

He picked up a lot of cards here. If he "bought into" cheaty Swindon's style I could see him spending more time suspended than on the pitch.

Archived