IGNORED

Assistance Required To Help A City Fan To Finally Rip

handsofclay

My father, a City supporter, died in May 2002. He was cremated not long after...I'm fairly sure it wasn't before. Anyway, because he loved his home in Whitchurch and had been there for 34 years it was decided to keep his ashes in a pot there as my younger brother then bought the house and moved in with his family.

In 2007, they sold up and thus we were confronted with the issue of what to do with his ashes again. It was decided to approach Bristol City about having them scattered over the pitch. I did so and received an email saying that the groundsman dealt with such requests and he would be in touch with me. He didn't make contact however and soon afterwards the Ashton Vale biz started and we were relieved contact hadn't been made as it wouldn't have been a nice prospect thinking of our father occupying Sainsburys, especially as he used to cuss sommat rotten whenever he was in a supermarket.

Since 2007 my father's remains have been passed around the family although we've kept this quiet because if any Australians found out they would try to take him away as they always like to claim the ashes. But now we are staying at Ashton Gate it would be great, and a tad emotional, to Finally lay him to rest at the place that meant most to him, so I would be very grateful if someone could tell me how to achieve this objective and ensure it will get done and not passed on to someone else who then doesn't get back to me.

Thanks.

If scattering the ashes then ask if they could be spread over the new stands foundations as to be fair the pitch gets dug up or relaid each season.

At least scattered or even buried in the new stands foundations that is there permanently.

Also as i remember rightly the club were also planning a small memorial garden around Ashton gate.

Trouble is his ashes have the consistency of clay cat litter. It's like little stones. I don't know if South Bristol Crematorium's ashes pounder wasn't working properly that day as I always thought ashes were like dust. So throwing any part of my father onto the pitch or in the stands when nobody is looking could see me banned for life when the CCTV is studied as the players and supporters hit the deck pole axed by the Ray of missiles. Other than that it would be a good idea, although I would try The Great Escape method of having bags of the stuff down my trousers and pulling on string to open them while chatting to the head groundsman about the state of the pitch while smoking a pipe. A few shakes of the leg and it would be done.

Think I will have to contact David Lloyd or the head groundsman as previous posters have suggested. All gratefully appreciated, thanks.

If scattering the ashes then ask if they could be spread over the new stands foundations as to be fair the pitch gets dug up or relaid each season.

At least scattered or even buried in the new stands foundations that is there permanently.

Also as i remember rightly the club were also planning a small memorial garden around Ashton gate.

Thanks for that, a great idea. I will enquire about these points.

10 -15 years ago I wrote to the then Secretary about having my ashes strew on the pitch and was told this was no problem.

Apparently though, you can't have the urn thrown at the Ref or player.

There's due to be a garden of remembrance of some description at the stadium when it's all finished.

The ashes could go there.

Thanks Dollymarie. Now I know this I will hold fire. He's waited 13 years so another year or so won't be a problem and it sound like it will be worth waiting for. I will make enquiries closer to the time and get my father booked in to be amongst the first to be scattered in such an appropriate location.

Thank you everyone for your kind help. It is greatly appreciated.

10 -15 years ago I wrote to the then Secretary about having my ashes strew on the pitch and was told this was no problem.

Apparently though, you can't have the urn thrown at the Ref or player.

I want mine put in Mr Lindley's coffee. Mind you, they'd probably improve the flavour (assuming he drinks the stuff he sells to us)...

Last year a very good friend, a City nutcase, well just a nutcase really, passed away at the age of 58ish. There was a memorial service at Ashton Gate, the day of the televised away game at Sheffield United as it happens, so that was good we watched the game at his do.

One of his saner (the guy was a total lovable fruitcake) dying wishes was for his ashes to be spread on the Ashton Gate pitch. The club refused.

It was agreed therefore he'd be laid partly to rest at a favourite spot on the Downs (the rest to be taken to where he'd made his home in Hampshire). After we had finished at Ashton Gate, I had the honour of driving Nige (in a carrier bag) and his brother (still alive thankfully) to his partial resting spot.

Many people congregated just off Circular Road, waiting to dispose of Nige before continuing the event with some pubs off Blackboy Hill. But we had to wait for his 2 sons, who arrived quite some time after the rest.

It turned out they had nicked some of their dad and had surreptitiously laid him to rest on the centre circle.

Hope that provides some sort of inspiration.

My old man was City through and through. In fact if it wasn't for City, I wouldn't exist as Ashton Gate was where my parents met.

When his time came, he was carried into South Bristol Crem to the strains of One for the Bristol City and scattered on the hillside there with the stadium in the background so he'll forever watch over Ashton Gate...

Edit: Really hope you can lay your Dad to rest. Perhaps contact Dave Lloyd anyway to see where the new Garden of Rememberence is going to be located?

Archived