IGNORED

Brett Pitman

GrahamC

Less than 40 goals in nearly 150 championship apps. Really don't know why everyone makes such a big deal about Pitman.

People talk about him being this amazing natural finisher...take away his pens and you're talking a goal roughly every 5 games.

Massively overrated on here.

EDIT - perhaps I'm doing Brett a disservice (I'm in a grumpy mood). Didn't realise quite how many of his appearances were as a sub.

Less than 40 goals in nearly 150 championship apps. Really don't know why everyone makes such a big deal about Pitman.

People talk about him being this amazing natural finisher...take away his pens and you're talking a goal roughly every 5 games.

EDIT - perhaps I'm doing Brett a disservice (I'm in a grumpy mood). Didn't realise quite how many of his appearances were as a sub.

Stats. Hmmm.

Taking the ratio at face value, whilst I won't deny it what I will state is we probably account for 2/3rds of those appearances and further the vast majority of those for us would either have been:

- Substitute appearances; or

- Appearances where he was played stupidly as an outside forward on the left.

Looking at the stats in light of the quality of those appearances, and the midfield that supported him, I think the record stands up very well indeed.

EDIT

Sorry - you already addressed subs

Stats. Hmmm.

Taking the ratio at face value, whilst I won't deny it what I will state is we probably account for 2/3rds of those appearances and further the vast majority of those for us would either have been:

- Substitute appearances; or

- Appearances where he was played stupidly as an outside forward on the left.

Looking at the stats in light of the quality of those appearances, and the midfield that supported him, I think the record stands up very well indeed.

EDIT

Sorry - you already addressed subs

Yeah to be fair I hadn't realised just how many sub appearances he's made. His starts to goals ratio is actually very impressive.

As you were chaps, nothing to see here... :laugh:

Pitman is not as athletic as the myriad modern day muscle bound marathon runners who canter up and down the pitch with ease for 90 mins. and pass for 'footballers'.

He's got an ungainly running style that can appear to be lack of pace, even effort - we were warned about that by B'Mouth fans when he first signed and asked to take it easy on him, because there was no lack of effort, it's simply the way he's built and the way he is.

To counter that he is superb at finding space in the box, is a genuine footballer, and as natural a goalscorer as you're likely to see.

Good luck to him at Ipswich, I've no doubt at all he'll be a success there.

He did rather well at Bournemouth mind, on both occasions as i recall. And, to be fair, he did not do that bad with us either. 

That is shameful.

Drugs are the blight of the modern game, but I a staggered by the quantities involved here.

Perhaps the Brizzle areal is known for mixing a lot of flour with their batches?  :noexp:

Name one top class goal scorer who worked hard in other areas of the pitch?

Steve Bloomer. Record England goalscorer at one stage with more goals than appearances and still Derby County's top goalscorer. In 1914 he was coaching in Germany when hostilities broke out so was interred in a POW camp. There he worked as a groundsman on the camp football field, so he definitely worked hard on all areas of the pitch.

Steve Bloomer. Record England goalscorer at one stage with more goals than appearances and still Derby County's top goalscorer. In 1914 he was coaching in Germany when hostilities broke out so was interred in a POW camp. There he worked as a groundsman on the camp football field, so he definitely worked hard on all areas of the pitch.

No he is massively overrated on here I agree,

He isn't a bad player but didn't he spend a lot of the last two seasons on the bench at Bournemouth and was used as an impact player?

He isn't a bad player but didn't he spend a lot of the last two seasons on the bench at Bournemouth and was used as an impact player?

Which only makes 13 league goals and fourth highest goalscorer for Bmouth this season, off the back of 18 starts and 16 subs on, all the much more impressive.

That's still 1 in 3 appearances and bearing in mind how many of those were for half an hour or less, that's damn prolific.

On the contrary, imo. he's hugely underrated on here hence some of us feel the obligation to defend him and point out his true stats.

After returning to Bournemouth Pitman made a total of 104 apps. ( starting and sub.) and scored 40 goals.

So if you're terming Pitman an 'impact player' as some sort of derogatory term, or deeming him a bit part player, I'd suggest that he made the sort of impressive impact that any club would be extremely happy to have from a striker, and with 13 league goals last season will be long remembered by B'Mouth fans as having played an integral part in their club achieving promotion to the top flight.

I agree. There's a reason why he has so many sub appearances. On more than one occasion with us he had a run of games and didn't score regularly and his workrate doesn't make up for it in the same way as a Stead type player.

On the contrary, imo. he's hugely underrated on here hence some of us feel the obligation to defend him and point out his true stats.

After returning to Bournemouth Pitman made a total of 104 apps. ( starting and sub.) and scored 40 goals.

So if you're terming Pitman an 'impact player' as some sort of derogatory term, or deeming him a bit part player, I'd suggest that he made the sort of impressive impact that any club would be extremely happy to have from a striker, and with 13 league goals last season will be long remembered by B'Mouth fans as having played an integral part in their club achieving promotion to the top flight.

I genuinely don't know but would be surprised if more than 5 or 6 were from open play. Really not good enough when compared to how many Callum Wilson got them.

I genuinely don't know but would be surprised if more than 5 or 6 were from open play. Really not good enough when compared to how many Callum Wilson got them.

11 from open play.

Bit silly to compare him to Callum Wilson, their main striker. Having said that, I bet Brett's goal to minute ratio was much higher than Wilson, who managed 20 in 45 starts.

11 from open play.

Bit silly to compare him to Callum Wilson, their main striker. Having said that, I bet Brett's goal to minute ratio was much higher than Wilson, who managed 20 in 45 starts.

11? Really? Wow that amazes me. Fair dos if right. Why is it silly to compare him to Wilson tho? If he's as good as some on here seem to believe he should be able to be compared with some of the divisions top scorers. And anyhow my point was if I was a Bournemouth fan, I know which one I would remember more fondly for helping my team win promotion.

11? Really? Wow that amazes me. Fair dos if right. Why is it silly to compare him to Wilson tho? If he's as good as some on here seem to believe he should be able to be compared with some of the divisions top scorers. And anyhow my point was if I was a Bournemouth fan, I know which one I would remember more fondly for helping my team win promotion.

I don't think any Bournemouth fan would be thinking that way. I'm pretty sure they'd look back fondly on a player that came through their academy and was a key figure in getting them promoted from L2 all the way to the Premier League.

Nobody has said that he's one of the best strikers in the Championship, just that he's more than capable of doing well at that level. He proved it with us when played, proved it with Bournemouth, and now is clearly rated by Mick McCarthy.

I don't think any Bournemouth fan would be thinking that way. I'm pretty sure they'd look back fondly on a player that came through their academy and was a key figure in getting them promoted from L2 all the way to the Premier League.

Nobody has said that he's one of the best strikers in the Championship, just that he's more than capable of doing well at that level. He proved it with us when played, proved it with Bournemouth, and now is clearly rated by Mick McCarthy.

Bang on.

Well not the Bournemouth fan I know. Their view is the same as mine. That he is a very lazy player to have in the team and one who does score goals but not enough or to keep a starting place in the team. He is not a player I would want to see back at City. But it is all about opinions.

I just want to add this to your stats: Murphy at Ipswich was last seasons top-scorer. He scored 1 goal every 121 mins. Pitman scored 13 championship goals, 1 goal every 121 mins..

Archived