IGNORED

Brett Pitman

GrahamC

Purely because I'm getting a bit bored of the ongoing debate between Robbored and others, I feel as though you're all saying the same thing and getting your wires crossed.

This was Robbored's initial post on the matter:

Pitman might not too work hard for the team but that's often the case with natural goal scorers. Tony "tap-in" Thorpe was a classic example of that.

So was probably the best of all - Jimmy Greaves. He'd do bugger all for 90 mins and then be in the right place at the time to nick the winner. You can't teach that.

Lineker and Owen were two others in that mode.

A very favourable opinion of Pitman, countering the claims by people that he didn't work hard enough by stating he doesn't need to do so. Positive comparisons and everything.

Then someone else challenged Owen being included with those types of players.

That then resulted in this response:

Sure Owen was all about pace but apart from scoring loads of goals what else did he bring to the team?

Which now seems to have been taken as suggesting therefore Owen lacked something, or wasn't good enough, etc., bringing responses of "well what else does he need to do?" or "isn't that the aim of the game?".

You're all arguing the same point.

Carry on.

Is it April Fools day or something? It's like saying 'Cech is a great keeper but apart from stopping balls going in the net, what does he do?'

The point (which evidently went over your head) is that many of the out and out goalscorers don't offer much else to the team. It's their role to finish the build up and score the goal.

Not many of them actually work that hard in other areas of the pitch and I've given examples of some of them . Cech is is a silly comparison.

This "doesn't work hard enough" nonsense is typical of football in this country. Most seem to love players that run around loads and try hard with less quality or ability.

Speak for yourself.

Why do you think Liverpool did so well when Saurez was at Anfield and why were Barca prepared to pay huge amounts for him?

Because he's one top striker who is willing to "put in a full shift". Not only does he score goals he works dammed hard for the team.That's a rare asset.

This "doesn't work hard enough" nonsense is typical of football in this country. Most seem to love players that run around loads and try hard with less quality or ability.

I agree in a way, the love in for John Stead on here because he put in a shift is cringeworthy sometimes. He scored about 6 goals for us every season. But then again you'll never see a nonchalant player playing in the German or Span national team.

Speak for yourself.

Why do you think Liverpool did so well when Saurez was at Anfield and why were Barca prepared to pay huge amounts for him?

Because he's one top striker who is willing to "put in a full shift". Not only does he score goals he works dammed hard for the team.That's a rare asset.

As I stated in my initial post. Most seem to love players who work hard but with less quality and ability. Suarez doesn't fall into this bracket because he was world class technique and skill to match the work rate.

I'm referring to players we produce in this country. Even at City, Jon Stead (who I think highly of) is considered some kind of hero at AG. Purely because of work rate whilst ignoring his poor goal scoring return. Many would have wanted Stead in the team over Pitman for instance because he "put a shift in".

I agree in a way, the love in for John Stead on here because he put in a shift is cringeworthy sometimes. He scored about 6 goals for us every season. But then again you'll never see a nonchalant player playing in the German or Span national team.

I liked Stead. I admired his work rate and professionalism whilst here but I agree with you, the love in for him on here is ridiculous and completely over the top. All because he "put a shift in". Never mind his lack of goals as being a striker that doesn't seem to matter these days. As I said to RR most would have had Stead over Pitman. I liked Brett too, however do feel he was and is a little over rated on here. He is ultimately a striker who will score goals which is his job. Not to "put in a shift" yet not score.

As I stated in my initial post. Most seem to love players who work hard but with less quality and ability. Suarez doesn't fall into this bracket because he was world class technique and skill to match the work rate.

I'm referring to players we produce in this country. Even at City, Jon Stead (who I think highly of) is considered some kind of hero at AG. Purely because of work rate whilst ignoring his poor goal scoring return. Many would have wanted Stead in the team over Pitman for instance because he "put a shift in".

I wouldn't want either as my first choice striker but yes without question I would prefer a Stead type striker as my second one as I think they would chip in with a few as well as helping the main striker to get more. Admittedly Stead didn't get enough but Wilbraham last year did, doing a similar role.

Archived