IGNORED

Academy - Should This Worry Us?

'Orns

Just seen this on OS - http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/jennings-leaves-academy-post-2511449.aspx

Should we be worried he was only here for a little over a year, or look on it as a promotion, going back to a PL club.....

You have answered your own question, of course it's a promotion and we will eventually employ a new academy manager, who may well be even better or worse, who knows? and let's see who it brings to us.

Not a problem managers, players, coaches, physio's, groundsmen, nutritionists, kit men all come and go and are replaced. it's good to see new faces and sometimes a blessing in disguise.

It surprises me that there have been only a handful of responses to this. The complacency and general apathy towards the subject is both concerning and puzzling, bearing in mind the periodic outbursts of controversy on OTIB in recent seasons about our perceived failure to produce good young players who go on to be successful senior professionals.

I can't remember offhand exactly how many changes in personnel we've seen over the last four or five years among the people employed to oversee the various levels of our youth development operations, but my impression is that we have seen a hell of a lot come and go in that time. This can no more be good for our academy than the 'revolving door' succession of first team managers was for the club as a whole.

The fact that we can't seem to find a well-qualified person who wants to stay here long-term and build something for the future bothers me, even if it does appear that nobody else gives a toss about it compared to the current preoccupation with the lack of summer signings. If nobody's bothered about this ongoing lack of stability in the academy set-up, maybe they should be. 

It surprises me that there have been only a handful of responses to this. The complacency and general apathy towards the subject is both concerning and puzzling, bearing in mind the periodic outbursts of controversy on OTIB in recent seasons about our perceived failure to produce good young players who go on to be successful senior professionals.

I can't remember offhand exactly how many changes in personnel we've seen over the last four or five years among the people employed to oversee the various levels of our youth development operations, but my impression is that we have seen a hell of a lot come and go in that time. This can no more be good for our academy than the 'revolving door' succession of first team managers was for the club as a whole.

The fact that we can't seem to find a well-qualified person who wants to stay here long-term and build something for the future bothers me, even if it does appear that nobody else gives a toss about it compared to the current preoccupation with the lack of summer signings. If nobody's bothered about this ongoing lack of stability in the academy set-up, maybe they should be. 

I'm surprised too, Cliff!

The amount of people that have been involved in the academy is staggering. Either it's a real shit place to work, or they can't do what they want to do....or both. Some continuity is surely needed here. Has anyone been involved in the academy that has seen a young lad come through and go onto a professional career, be here at City, or elsewhere?

They're a class 1 academy aren't they? I assume they can take our brightest youngsters and we can't do a thing about it! :(

Young players do not have to leave. There is a choice.

City can do things about it by creating firm working relationships with parent and kids, while offering continuity and stability for the young player.

Constant change could affect recruitment if there is a perception that City have an academy in continual flux. I am not saying that is the case in regards to the topic.

I can't remember offhand exactly how many changes in personnel we've seen over the last four or five years among the people employed to -

It's like a revolving door, ******* ridiculous !

I'm surprised too, Cliff!

The amount of people that have been involved in the academy is staggering. Either it's a real shit place to work, or they can't do what they want to do....or both. Some continuity is surely needed here. Has anyone been involved in the academy that has seen a young lad come through and go onto a professional career, be here at City, or elsewhere?

Glad there's someone else out there who thinks this topic is worthy of more attention.

It may be that my less than perfect memory is deceiving me, but my impression is that there seems to have been a never-ending procession of arrivals and departures. Didn't McInnes, for example, install several new (Scottish) appointees to various roles within the youth set-up as part of his overhaul of the structure of the club, only for most of them to stay about five minutes and bugger off again?

Brian Tinnion must be tearing his hair out. How are you supposed to persuade the parents of young kids to commit their child's footballing future to the club when the academy organisation appears to be in a constant state of flux and you have to compete with a Southampton youth operation that makes us look like a bunch af amateurs?

I agree with you Woodsy: it's difficult to resist the conclusion that there is something fundamentally wrong in the organisation that is causing either to us to lose good people or fail to attract them in the first place.

I know very little about our Academy and saw the news before I was influenced by this thread. My initial reaction was 'not another one' and 'blimey people don't stay there long do they'.

I get this impression knowing nothing. Surely people who would know, coaches etc of the young lads we are trying to attract have better knowledge. Would they encourage their boys to come here knowing how changeable things are.

I hope this appointment will be the last for a while.

Edit: whilst I was writing CliftonCliff made the same point as me, I didn't copy, honest.

Glad there's someone else out there who thinks this topic is worthy of more attention.

It may be that my less than perfect memory is deceiving me, but my impression is that there seems to have been a never-ending procession of arrivals and departures. Didn't McInnes, for example, install several new (Scottish) appointees to various roles within the youth set-up as part of his overhaul of the structure of the club, only for most of them to stay about five minutes and bugger off again?

Brian Tinnion must be tearing his hair out. How are you supposed to persuade the parents of young kids to commit their child's footballing future to the club when the academy organisation appears to be in a constant state of flux and you have to compete with a Southampton youth operation that makes us look like a bunch af amateurs?

I agree with you Woodsy: it's difficult to resist the conclusion that there is something fundamentally wrong in the organisation that is causing either to us to lose good people or fail to attract them in the first place.

I've been told that Tinnion doesn't have a budget to bring players here.

I'm not sure of the process...but I get the impression he has to go through hoops to bring people here...I'm open to correction, it's been over a month since being told this.

Surely as the Director of Recruitment, Tinnion should have some form of budget with which he can work with and be judged by his results?

I see in the last hour or so, the Club are also recruiting for a new head of Education too!

All change it seems?

I know very little about our Academy and saw the news before I was influenced by this thread. My initial reaction was 'not another one' and 'blimey people don't stay there long do they'.

I get this impression knowing nothing. Surely people who would know, coaches etc of the young lads we are trying to attract have better knowledge. Would they encourage their boys to come here knowing how changeable things are.

I hope this appointment will be the last for a while.

Edit: whilst I was writing CliftonCliff made the same point as me, I didn't copy, honest.

I'm just pleased to see others are beginning to think along similar lines. Perhaps if enough of us express our bewiderment and concerns it will draw some response from the club.

Like you, I know next to nothing about our academy (partly because we're told hardly anything about its day-to-day running, until something major like a resignation or a new appointment happens), so I'm not hinting at dark forces at work - I have too little information even to begin to form any suspicions about what the problem might be. But clearly, something must be wrong here.

Regardless of the fact that we have a wealthy owner, we remain at best a medium-sized club and part of our strategy for sustainable long-term success has to be the production of home-grown talents, whether they go on to play for us or are sold to generate capital to be spent in the transfer market. Despite a lot of talk about good intentions, I've seen very little (Joe Brian apart) to suggest that there has been significant progress over the last few years.  

There are a lot of changes.

At Southampton which is looked upon as a benchmark in development there are people who have been in their roles for over a decade.

And this despite the other problems that Southampton had going back 7 or 8 years ago....they obviously stuck to their plan on their Academy. Seemed to work out ok for them, didn't it?

I'm just pleased to see others are beginning to think along similar lines. Perhaps if enough of us express our bewiderment and concerns it will draw some response from the club.

Like you, I know next to nothing about our academy (partly because we're told hardly anything about its day-to-day running, until something major like a resignation or a new appointment happens), so I'm not hinting at dark forces at work - I have too little information even to begin to form any suspicions about what the problem might be. But clearly, something must be wrong here.

Regardless of the fact that we have a wealthy owner, we remain at best a medium-sized club and part of our strategy for sustainable long-term success has to be the production of home-grown talents, whether they go on to play for us or are sold to generate capital to be spent in the transfer market. Despite a lot of talk about good intentions, I've seen very little (Joe Brian apart) to suggest that there has been significant progress over the last few years.  

The one shining light, Cliff

Didn't copy the part from Spud's post about Tinnion having no budget - I'm sure I've heard this said before, maybe by you, Spud? If true, and I've no reason to doubt you, I find that appalling. However, Tins is still in place, so I guess there's a willingness from someone to work under the current rules. And if anyone is going to work their backside off for this club it's that man

And this despite the other problems that Southampton had going back 7 or 8 years ago....they obviously stuck to their plan on their Academy. Seemed to work out ok for them, didn't it?

The one shining light, Cliff

Didn't copy the part from Spud's post about Tinnion having no budget - I'm sure I've heard this said before, maybe by you, Spud? If true, and I've no reason to doubt you, I find that appalling. However, Tins is still in place, so I guess there's a willingness from someone to work under the current rules. And if anyone is going to work their backside off for this club it's that man

Tinnion puts in a mental amount of hours watching development football....a crazy amount.

Like I said...its been at least a month since I was told by someone involved in recruitment, about the budget. I'm not sure as to the Clubs reasoning for this.

I'm still under the impression there is a bit of a void between Academy and first team.

It wasn't Gareth's choice to leave,he was deemed surplus to requirements over 3 weeks ago.

There is more changes due to come!!as for Brian tinnions budget he does not have one.

The academy has a budget and 21s budget is incorporated in the first teams budget .

also the gap between 21s and first team is huge,SC might watch the 21s at failand but he has no intentions on promoting anyone from the 21s anytime soon .

I will say tho I think a few of them will travel to Portugal because the first team is so light on numbers

It wasn't Gareth's choice to leave,he was deemed surplus to requirements over 3 weeks ago.

There is more changes due to come!!as for Brian tinnions budget he does not have one.

The academy has a budget and 21s budget is incorporated in the first teams budget .

also the gap between 21s and first team is huge,SC might watch the 21s at failand but he has no intentions on promoting anyone from the 21s anytime soon .

I will say tho I think a few of them will travel to Portugal because the first team is so light on numbers

Thanks for clarifying that fella.

I too was under the impression the Gap between the under 21's and first team was huge....

Perhaps....and maybe you may know....but was it SC and Burt who offered Wade the U21's position or the Board?

Maybe there is a concerted effort being made to make the gap closer.

From what I've understood, and i'm open to correction, SC hasn't been impressed or interested that much in the development programme.

Plus with so many planned changes and players being let go recently, we are making an extra effort in this department?

Thanks for clarifying that fella.

I too was under the impression the Gap between the under 21's and first team was huge....

Perhaps....and maybe you may know....but was it SC and Burt who offered Wade the U21's position or the Board?

Maybe there is a concerted effort being made to make the gap closer.

From what I've understood, and i'm open to correction, SC hasn't been impressed or interested that much in the development programme.

Plus with so many planned changes and players being let go recently, we are making an extra effort in this department?

Realistically we played a team way too young in last year's u21 league. Even if those players atick around, develop its hard to see them pushing the first team at a higher level.

For the investment and constant chopping and changing the return on investment in the academy has been pathetic.

As far as I'm aware it was SC who wanted Wade to take over the 21s because of the lack of discipline and structure that was missing in the 21s last season.

It was evident that probert was out of his depth and didn't get the best out of the players he was coaching .

Let's not forget there are some very talented players in the 21s I really think they have got rid of the lads who just weren't good enough .

If SC provides some of the fringe players to the 21s next season I think it will bring some of the younger lads along very quick .

The academy seems to have been in a bit of a state for a while, really. The club put in great effort in making sure it was a Cat 2 academy, but SL or the higher-up members of the club seem to have lost interest since EPPP was introduced. It's a shame, but who can blame them? Pathetic system which makes running an academy close to pointless.

Hopefully Wade can do a good job with the U21's, progressing himself and the young 'uns at the same time.

It's is disheartening to see all the highly rated coaches and players leaving the academy, though. There's no consistency.

Our academy is in a very strong place considering we are outside of the BPL. There's been an awful lot of investment go into our youth academy and we have people like Tinman at the helm of it who genuinely care and want the best for our club so give their all to the cause. Far too much is made out of kids leaving to go to Cat 1 clubs when simply there is nothing we can do about it. Think about it logically, if you were in your place of work and one of the biggest companies in your industry came in and offered you more money and better management, would you go? Most people will say yes. 

Ultimately if we ever reach the BPL we will have one of the best academies in the country, we will go plumb money in and apply for Cat 1 so nobody can steal our players at will for peanuts and our catchment area is absolutely massive. Currently WBA and Southampton nick players from the Bristol area but as a BPL side we would be a much better prospect, we'd have from down in Cornwall all the way up here, probably kids from Plymouth and Torquay too. 

We're in a good place, nothing to worry about here :)

Our academy is in a very strong place considering we are outside of the BPL. There's been an awful lot of investment go into our youth academy and we have people like Tinman at the helm of it who genuinely care and want the best for our club so give their all to the cause. Far too much is made out of kids leaving to go to Cat 1 clubs when simply there is nothing we can do about it. Think about it logically, if you were in your place of work and one of the biggest companies in your industry came in and offered you more money and better management, would you go? Most people will say yes. 

Ultimately if we ever reach the BPL we will have one of the best academies in the country, we will go plumb money in and apply for Cat 1 so nobody can steal our players at will for peanuts and our catchment area is absolutely massive. Currently WBA and Southampton nick players from the Bristol area but as a BPL side we would be a much better prospect, we'd have from down in Cornwall all the way up here, probably kids from Plymouth and Torquay too. 

We're in a good place, nothing to worry about here :)

There were 120 kids released by Torquay only a week or so ago....as they have totally scrapped their Academy.

Exeter offered them all trials....

When Southampton were in League 1, they were still getting the kids.

It's a competitive world...even at that level.

as for Brian tinnions budget he does not have one.

Didn't copy the part from Spud's post about Tinnion having no budget - I'm sure I've heard this said before, maybe by you, Spud? If true, and I've no reason to doubt you, I find that appalling.

I've been told that Tinnion doesn't have a budget to bring players here.

This is not true. Tinnion DOES have a budget.

Tinnion gets games watched all over the south west & Wales and a budget is in place for him to recruit. However, young Bristolian lads will always get first priority to make the grade where possible.

Archived