IGNORED

Tour De France

2 stages in my area this year.

Saturday Rennes to Mur de Bretagne culminating in a 2km finish up the steepest hill in Brittany, nicknamed the wall of Brittany, 4 years ago it caught out many of the favourites.

Sunday Vannes to Plumelec a team time trial, Plumelec is 10 minutes from where I live.

My mate and his Missus arrive on Wednesday, so can't wait to be honest, just one quandary really, to get me noticed on the route City shirt or electric green mankini.

Decisions, decisions.

PS:- Already Froome's to lose.

I love watching the race, I'd really love to jump in a camper van and follow it round. It looks great fun and France looks lovely.

Ps: I'll leave the choice of what you wear up to you. I don't want to get blamed for your arrest.

I love watching the race, I'd really love to jump in a camper van and follow it round. It looks great fun and France looks lovely.

Ps: I'll leave the choice of what you wear up to you. I don't want to get blamed for your arrest.

One of the guys on the second floor here goes ever year in a camper, says its superb. It really has come into its own as visual spectacle with HD TV etc.

One of the guys on the second floor here goes ever year in a camper, says its superb. It really has come into its own as visual spectacle with HD TV etc.

Todays crash is without doubt the worst that I have ever seen, but stopping the race was good and proper, Froome looks unbeatable to me, Contador looks like yesterdays man, Quintana i'm sure will have a pop but looks out of sorts as is Nibali.

The jury is out on Cav, he always seems to struggle on the first tour sprint finish and then come good after, word is he has fallen out with his team.

Sagan is one hell of a beast and has my full respect.

Your on the money with the last sentence Tom.

I haven't seem the crash yet but the pics looked bad. Froome does look strong along with his support team.

Dunno about Cav, I think he's going to head back to the track at end of season with the Olympics in mind. He's never been quite the same since HTC disbanded., he had such an awesome train lead him out.. Even with Renshaw still with him it's not quite the same, he didn't even seem bothered yesterday.

I haven't seem the crash yet but the pics looked bad. Froome does look strong along with his support team.

Dunno about Cav, I think he's going to head back to the track at end of season with the Olympics in mind. He's never been quite the same since HTC disbanded., he had such an awesome train lead him out.. Even with Renshaw still with him it's not quite the same, he didn't even seem bothered yesterday.

Agree with all of that, the fact is Cav let his team and especially Tony Martin down by giving up like he did.

Rural cobbles tomorrow, that is usually a brutal test, expected some blood, sweat and tears tomorrow.

2 stages in my area this year.

Saturday Rennes to Mur de Bretagne culminating in a 2km finish up the steepest hill in Brittany, nicknamed the wall of Brittany, 4 years ago it caught out many of the favourites.

Sunday Vannes to Plumelec a team time trial, Plumelec is 10 minutes from where I live.

My mate and his Missus arrive on Wednesday, so can't wait to be honest, just one quandary really, to get me noticed on the route City shirt or electric green mankini.

Decisions, decisions.

PS:- Already Froome's to lose.

Yes, definitely Froome's to lose. I really thought Quintana, Contador might prove stiffer opposition for him but it already looks so early on like he's got the measure of them.

RedM. Don't dwell on it, get out there. I watched since the early 80's and promised always to myself that I'd do Le Tour someday. I'm sad that I waited til 2008 for my first visit but going back regularly since. Can't make this year though.

Get yourself to the Pyrenees. Remarkable place.

Es. Plumelec hey. Lovely part of the world. I'll be holidaying just outside Lannion again this year, love the area.

Yes, definitely Froome's to lose. I really thought Quintana, Contador might prove stiffer opposition for him but it already looks so early on like he's got the measure of them.

RedM. Don't dwell on it, get out there. I watched since the early 80's and promised always to myself that I'd do Le Tour someday. I'm sad that I waited til 2008 for my first visit but going back regularly since. Can't make this year though.

Es. Plumelec hey. Lovely part of the world. I'll be holidaying just outside Lannion again this year, love the area.

Love Lannion, we are close to Vannes and the gulf of Morbihan which is breathtaking, also Suscinio, Damgan, Auray, Quiberon and Carnac.

Quintana will have a pop but Froome looks awesome he took the opposition apart in the mountains in his last race the Criterium du Dauphine, he is in the peak of form, Contador might get a podium but couldn't live with Froome on 2 short but brutal climbs today.

Crikey! Is it really that long since we were quenching our thirst in the searing heat of La Cit?, Carcassonne?

It really is a buzz to watch close up, especially a mountain stage, the campers start to congregate days before and the atmosphere and scenery provide memories to last a lifetime.

Who on earth can watch it live?

We have it on in the background at work (though I'm rarely in the office) .. I personally love it, the scenery is spectacular.

We have it on in the background at work (though I'm rarely in the office) .. I personally love it, the scenery is spectacular.

Will stick to the hour highlights. Too boring to watch all day for me.

Will stick to the motd highlights. Too boring to watch all 90 minutes for me.

Again much like 90 minutes of a Liverpool game.

The thing is I tend to watch the start, about an hour later see who is in the breakaway and then just check in here and there and then grab a beer and settle in for the final 30/40km.

As Ralph said actually being at a stage is literally breathtaking, the first one me and the missus went to although the time for the race to pass was only about 4 minutes (breakaway and then peleton) the speed at which the peloton passed us did literally take our breath away, it was as though they had used up all of the oxygen, but the couple of hours lead up to that moment is great fun as well and the way the French organise it is exceptional. Hopefully a mountain stage next year maybe.

Anyway a lot of today's stage is on cobbles (the rural cobbles surrounding mainly farmland) it is usually brutal and there maybe rain, which will make it treacherous, expect a lot of crashes.

Crikey! Is it really that long since we were quenching our thirst in the searing heat of La Cit?, Carcassonne?

It really is a buzz to watch close up, especially a mountain stage, the campers start to congregate days before and the atmosphere and scenery provide memories to last a lifetime.

Ha ha, time hasn't passed by that quickly Ralph. 2008 was my first tour, but I met you in Carcassonne in 2012 for 1, nay a few, drinks!!

You're bang on though. For anyone who even remotely considers it, I suggest quite strongly, getting yourself to the Pyrenees - spectacular.

And as Es rightly says, it's about the whole day, the lead up, the atmos, not just the 2 minutes when the riders pass by.

Onto today's stage. Pinot obviously the big loser, but I was hoping for a bit of rain. Would've made Nibali's digs a bit more interesting. Froome kept him in check though. And fair shout to Quintana for staying with the leaders too.

Ha ha, time hasn't passed by that quickly Ralph. 2008 was my first tour, but I met you in Carcassonne in 2012 for 1, nay a few, drinks!!

You're bang on though. For anyone who even remotely considers it, I suggest quite strongly, getting yourself to the Pyrenees - spectacular.

And as Es rightly says, it's about the whole day, the lead up, the atmos, not just the 2 minutes when the riders pass by.

Onto today's stage. Pinot obviously the big loser, but I was hoping for a bit of rain. Would've made Nibali's digs a bit more interesting. Froome kept him in check though. And fair shout to Quintana for staying with the leaders too.

Martin deserved his win and yellow jersey, been the most consistent rider all week, to be fair Cav put in a mighty shift for him as well, Froome was really brave all day and Sagan is still a beast.

Ha! Yeah After I posted I had a think and realised what you meant but still couldn't remember if it was 2011 or '12. Good job one of us has a memory.

Besides the Pyrenees and Alps, stages 13, 14, and 15 should offer some spectacular scenery.

Looking forward to seeing EMB with his City flag on Saturday. [emoji106]

Yeah, great day for Cav. He needed that, I sense he was feeling a bit of pressure.

Harry today my mate and I stood right on the 2k marker post on the climb up the 'wall of Brittany', just after the sharp turn, we met some fantastic people, had the best day either of us have ever had at the tour, took some great photos and just when we thought it couldn't get any better, as we walked around the team coaches, lo and behold Cav appeared signing autographs and posing for photos, he never turned anybody down and had his usual bright smile, incredible after 6 hours and 170k in the saddle.

I have mine next to Cav wearing my new BCFC shirt. I take my hat off to him, a truly wonderful guy and proper sportsman.

and tomorrow the team time trial just 10 minutes away.

Harry today my mate and I stood right on the 2k marker post on the climb up the 'wall of Brittany', just after the sharp turn, we met some fantastic people, had the best day either of us have ever had at the tour, took some great photos and just when we thought it couldn't get any better, as we walked around the team coaches, lo and behold Cav appeared signing autographs and posing for photos, he never turned anybody down and had his usual bright smile, incredible after 6 hours and 170k in the saddle.

I have mine next to Cav wearing my new BCFC shirt. I take my hat off to him, a truly wonderful guy and proper sportsman.

Fantastic Es.

I've just had a look back on the ITV highlights show and unfortunately can't see you at the 2k marker.  They went to an aerial shot as they came round the turn, so can't pick out the City shirt.

Great stuff with Cav popping round, ha ha.  Love it.  Glad it made your day.

Are you popping out for the TTT tomorrow?  Should be an interesting stage, I can se Sky putting a bit more of a hammer down.

Nice one Esmond, it's compelling viewing.

I think you need to put some photos on here mate :).

Were coming back to France again in 3 weeks time, we have had a fantastic time in the Vendee for the last 2 years, we are going down farther this year.

We are travelling down to stay near Royan, have you been down that way yourself at all?

It's been nice and hot down that way lately, we just hope it continues :)

Fantastic Es.

I've just had a look back on the ITV highlights show and unfortunately can't see you at the 2k marker.  They went to an aerial shot as they came round the turn, so can't pick out the City shirt.

Great stuff with Cav popping round, ha ha.  Love it.  Glad it made your day.

Are you popping out for the TTT tomorrow?  Should be an interesting stage, I can se Sky putting a bit more of a hammer down.

Yes we will be there as I said it finishes 10 minutes from where I live and we are hoping to meet up with a fantastic French family from the Vendee we met today.

Cav was always a hero of mine and today seeing how much time he was prepared to spend with the fans after such gruelling day, put into perspective what a bunch of pussies footballers really are.

Nice one Esmond, it's compelling viewing.

I think you need to put some photos on here mate :).

Were coming back to France again in 3 weeks time, we have had a fantastic time in the Vendee for the last 2 years, we are going down farther this year.

We are travelling down to stay near Royan, have you been down that way yourself at all?

It's been nice and hot down that way lately, we just hope it continues :)

I will put some photos on in a couple weeks, loads of visitors and Mrs Bung birthday coming up.

Never been past Nantes Bill, hope to remedy that over the next couple of years.

Great stuff EMB, looking forward to seeing those photos. Cav's finish the day before at Fougeres? was awe inspiring. How they manage to find the gaps going at those speeds is almost beyond belief.

Looking forward to the photos Esmond, enjoy today's stage :)

At this moment I am even happier because as the leaders turned the right hander to start the 2k climb, I accidentally hit the burst mode on my iPhone 6 camera (I couldn't see the screen because of the sun) and it took 1,000 photos of the leaders and the peloton passing, I have some unbelievable photos, like a video in fact, give me a week or so and I will upload some.

Got to go the tour beckons.

One very happy EMB.

Archived