IGNORED

Football Swansongs

Major Isewater

Tom Ritchie at the end of his first spell with City. Early in 1981, Sunderland stepped in to buy Tom Ritchie. His final game for the club was in a cup replay against Carlisle. He played his heart out and scored twice in a 5-0 romp.

Tom Ritchie at the end of his first spell with City. Early in 1981, Sunderland stepped in to buy Tom Ritchie. His final game for the club was in a cup replay against Carlisle. He played his heart out and scored twice in a 5-0 romp.

I was at that game mate, it was brill, I was a fresh faced youngster and I've got a feeling that another fresh faced youngster played for Carlisle that night - a certain Peter Beardsley?!

Am I imagining it or did we have two players on a hatrick when we were 4-0 up and were awarded a pen? And one of those was Sir Tom?

I seem to remember a bit of an altercation between the two over who should complete their hatrick and take the pen.

I may be imagining it all cos a lot of Merlot has flowed under the bridge since then but I do remember it being a great game under the floodlights and I also remember it cost 90p to get in!! How times have changed!

In Barrie Meyer's last professional game he scored his one and only hat-trick, in the first half of a 6-3 win over Southend.

Curiously, Shadow Williams also scored his only hat-trick in the first half of the same game, and all nine goals were at the same end.

Yes, of course they were at the other end :(

The most remarkable thing about JB was how he got his shorts on .The elastic marks around his waist and thighs must still be there .

The most remarkable thing about JB was his perm. The late 70s and early 80s was the golden era of awful footballer's perms. Those were the days!

The most remarkable thing about JB was his perm. The late 70s and early 80s was the golden era of awful footballer's perms. Those were the days!

haha,donnie gillies :laugh:, i remember those days, still think of newcastle nowadays whenever i see one

On his return to us he also scored the equaliser when we beat the blue few at Ikeaville in that FA Cup win in 1983.

I remember thinking that Joe Jordan oozed class when he joined us. If I remember rightly in his first match we thrashed Donny and he seemed to run the game.

Mark Robins had a big impact in his short loan spell with us.

Biggest let-down for me was Marcus Stewart.

Archived