IGNORED

40 Years Ago

Major Isewater

The year 1975 , the club Bristol City , this me babbers was the season that saw us promoted as " Runners Up " to Sunderland for our first return to the top division for 65 years .

Could it be our year again ? Can we defy all the odds again ?

Interesting that we left Chelsea behind lying ( led ! ) in 11th position and a club calling themselves Bristol Rovers got a jammy 17th .

We were stood at the Clock End at Highbury to watch that game - in which SuperMac made his debut for Arse if I'm not mistaken? Such a great day out. It was a warm day in North London for sure (although not as hot as it was to become for you TMOR). Thus started trips all around the country to watch that team of greats. Happy days!

We were stood at the Clock End at Highbury to watch that game - in which SuperMac made his debut for Arse if I'm not mistaken? Such a great day out. It was a warm day in North London for sure (although not as hot as it was to become for you TMOR). Thus started trips all around the country to watch that team of greats. Happy days!

I always had respect for the cops, but that night I handed out some grief.

But that day is still up there with the best,it's BCFC after all.

The year 1975 , the club Bristol City , this me babbers was the season that saw us promoted as " Runners Up " to Sunderland for our first return to the top division for 65 years .

Interesting that we left Chelsea behind lying ( led ! ) in 11th position and a club calling themselves Bristol Rovers got a jammy 17th .

76 we got promoted

Record signing at 330k. I stayed in Stoke Newington the night before the game with a brother. On the morning of the match Emperor Rosko, an Arsenal fan, was on the radio triumphantly telling Londoners ( maybe the whole country, can't remember if it was Capital Radio or Radio 1) how Supermac would score a hat trick on his debut to thrash the upstart Bristol bumpkins.

Didn't quite work out like that, Cheese headed against the bar, headed against the post, and finally rose to power a perfect header into the net to give City a thoroughly deserved historic win. 'Supermac' didn't get a sniff all afternoon.

When we entered the Clock End before the game a steward told us City fans had arrived early and forced the Arsenal Clock Enders out. He warned us to watch out as that wouldn't be the end of the matter and we could expect 3,000 to be waiting outside after the match.

We thought he was exaggerating, but not by much as it turned out. I can still picture the hordes of Arsenal fans charging straight into the exiting City fans with police horses being used in a vain attempt to create a barrier. Not a good end to an otherwise great day.

Record signing at 330k. I stayed in Stoke Newington the night before the game with a brother. On the morning of the match Emperor Rosko, an Arsenal fan, was on the radio triumphantly telling Londoners ( maybe the whole country, can't remember if it was Capital Radio or Radio 1) how Supermac would score a hat trick on his debut to thrash the upstart Bristol bumpkins.

Didn't quite work out like that, Cheese headed against the bar, headed against the post, and finally rose to power a perfect header into the net to give City a thoroughly deserved historic win. 'Supermac' didn't get a sniff all afternoon.

When we entered the Clock End before the game a steward told us City fans had arrived early and forced the Arsenal Clock Enders out. He warned us to watch out as that wouldn't be the

of the matter and we could expect 3,000 to be waiting outside after the match.

We thought he was exaggerating, but not by much as it turned out. I can still picture the hordes of Arsenal fans charging straight into the exiting City fans with police horses being used in a vain attempt to create a barrier. Not a good end to an otherwise great day.

Didn't we all delight in singing " what a waste of money ".

Remember both those games like they were yesterday....My long-term memory still works well!!

Was sitting level in the stand with the Cheese when he got on the end of the cross getting earache from some horrible little git who thought we were there to get beat.

I was behind the goal where Shilton and Cheese collided. We knew it was bad straight away....Never be career ending now, but that was then!

For the record it was 1-1 and Donnie scored for us!

Remember both those games like they were yesterday....My long-term memory still works well!!

Was sitting level in the stand with the Cheese when he got on the end of the cross getting earache from some horrible little git who thought we were there to get beat.

I was behind the goal where Shilton and Cheese collided. We knew it was bad straight away....Never be career ending now, but that was then!

For the record it was 1-1 and Donnie scored for us!

I was there for both. Funny game, football...

How could you get that so wrong ????

I remember well, I was working in Brighton as an area manager for Tandy, I was in a bit of grief from the old bill, managed to fob em off to a colleague and made my way to Highbury for a cracking day out. Brilliant.

I used to think sense of humour was one area where Rovers scored over City but sadly you are streets ahead of us now in every respect.

17th in the second tier were we ? Huh

When we entered the Clock End before the game a steward told us City fans had arrived early and forced the Arsenal Clock Enders out. He warned us to watch out as that wouldn't be the end of the matter and we could expect 3,000 to be waiting outside after the match.

The Arsenal fans that came at us after the game legged it pretty quick when we turned on them......bunch of pussies.

How could you get that so wrong ????

I got nothing wrong but to be more clear in the year of 1975 we started our season that was to , in the year of our Lord 1976 see us promoted to the first division .

I notice that some posters jumped to our season back in the first division but why spoil their fun .

Everybody knows the facts so don't be such an ass !

I got nothing wrong but to be more clear in the year of 1975 we started our season that was to , in the year of our Lord 1976 see us promoted to the first division .

I notice that some posters jumped to our season back in the first division but why spoil their fun .

Everybody knows the facts so don't be such an ass !

Your the ass saying 40 years ago we were promoted , we weren't !

I don't know why i'm really bothering  to reply to someone who is clearly hell bent on making a tit of himself on a public forum but here goes , I did n't say we were promoted 40 years ago i said this was the "season " where we were promoted . 

Now i'm sure even you have realised that the football season does n't run from January to December !

:blink:

Read the original post.

'The year 1975 , the club Bristol City , this me babbers was the season that saw us promoted as " Runners Up " to Sunderland for our first return to the top division for 65 years.'

;) 

I remember well, I was working in Brighton as an area manager for Tandy, I was in a bit of grief from the old bill, managed to fob em off to a colleague and made my way to Highbury for a cracking day out. Brilliant.

Small world. I also used to work for Tandy.I also used to have a stall at Cardiff Market. The proceeds from the stall paid for my day out at Highbury.

Archived