IGNORED

Promoted Too Soon ?

Major Isewater

I dont know what the exact budget is.  All I was told was "Cotterill is frustrated because players were identified early on however Lansdown is trying to do it on a shoe string". 

As I said, I dont know what our exact budget is, but the fact we are less then 3 weeks away from the season opener.....and we havent signed anyone, is rather concerning.  Unless we have had a torrid run of luck in the transfer window, then there must be a reason why we cannot attract anyone

The players we've been linked with are pretty much all going to command decent fees so can hardly say we're doing it on a shoestring. I expect we're trying to be cautious in terms of wage offers though given our lowly turnover and past experience of being lumbered with players on large contracts who turn out to be shit.

Sorry couldnt disagree with you more.  No such thing as being promoted to early. 

This.  I have never understood the concept of being "promoted to early".  Its what you work towards everyday! Now we are in the league we rightfully belong in.

I said it all last season, that we are in the wrong league.  I personally believe this group of players are more than capable of holding their own in the Championship.

Only time will tell, whether I am correct or not.  For the first time in a long time, we had a balanced team. 

We of course need to strengthen our squad, and I am sure the club is working hard to do this.

Question for the OP.  I would be interested in what benefit would you see in spending just one more season in League 1? 

Stevo

This. I have never understood the concept of being "promoted to early". Its what you work towards everyday! Now we are in the league we rightfully belong in.

I said it all last season, that we are in the wrong league. I personally believe this group of players are more than capable of holding their own in the Championship.

Only time will tell, whether I am correct or not. For the first time in a long time, we had a balanced team.

We of course need to strengthen our squad, and I am sure the club is working hard to do this.

Question for the OP. I would be interested in what benefit would you see in spending just one more season in League 1?

Stevo

It is more a question of overheads being much higher in the Championship which means that with a reduced capacity for the season we could be struggling to balance the budget or compete.

Blackpool , managed excellently by the dignified Oystons i might add , sort of went up to the prem by accident and look where they are now .

The two are not exactly the same evidently but many clubs have bombed after getting promoted .

Im not saying we dont have money, or funds available to spend.

"What I am saying is, at League 1...we were an attractive propostion for your Luke Freemans, Luke Aylings etc. "

- Two Freemans and two Aylings? - and I thought we were short of players.

Excellent signings. Freeman will get double the number of assists next year, and Ayling can play right of a back three and the other Ayling right wing back. Guaranteed promotion. Good work SC.

It is more a question of overheads being much higher in the Championship which means that with a reduced capacity for the season we could be struggling to balance the budget or compete.

Blackpool , managed excellently by the dignified Oystons i might add , sort of went up to the prem by accident and look where they are now .

The two are not exactly the same evidently but many clubs have bombed after getting promoted .

I do see where you are coming from.  The reduced capacity, will for sure have an impact on our bottom line.  But this will be only for 1 season. 

Once the new Williams is completed we will be full operational.

Also, if you factor in a new full season with the SS and the new facilities in there (bar + corporate), coupled with the new DEH.  We will have new revenue streams, which we previously didn't have.

Blackpool got to the prem and then just capitulated.  Completely mismanaged (understatement).  I am fully confident that SL has a financial plan; which doesnt include an 11milion bonus.  SC will have a football plan; which doesn't include a playing budget from league 1.

Unlike Blackpool, as your example, everything about this club oozes Championship right now.  From the Desso pitch, training facilities, stadium (-1 year), playing staff (correct recruitment) even Bristol Sport as a concept.

When you take a look around at what they have both achieved in the last year or so, for SC and SL not to be in the Championship would be more a shame.

Cheers mate

Steve

Every season in league one is a season languishing in the doldrums.

It is only fair that the new south stand's debut season is in the championship, and not in a division including the likes of Swindon.

We'll be absolutely fine this year, and ready to push on again next season with the stadium complete.

And hopefully the new williams can debut in the prem

I think we were promoted too early.

Would have been a much more exciting end to the season if we left it til the last game, instead of doing it with games to spare.

:yes:

On balance you are probably speaking tongue in cheek. Either way there are several reasons why this is not a good idea...

1. My trip back over 5 matches would have ended in disappointment instead of elation at Valley Parade.

2. Too much undue stress on the heart for thousands.

3. We could have had a few very costly injuries on a very small squad as we got stuck in a bit more in order to get across the line.

Actually the list is endless.

As for the OP... It is never too early to get promoted imo. That is why we will be seriously going for it this season. I fully expect us to be promoted, automatically, come seasons end.

I do wonder what was going on in the heads of people that thought we were getting promoted too early.  At the close of the season were they sat watching City thinking to themselves "I hope we lose this game, it's just too early for us to go up"?  

I do wonder what was going on in the heads of people that thought we were getting promoted too early. At the close of the season were they sat watching City thinking to themselves "I hope we lose this game, it's just too early for us to go up"?

Na.... They were hoping we lost a few games so they could come on here and moan and complain and to say that they were right about SC not being good enough and that we should of kept SOD.....

Now I know you are just a WUM. The owners of Blackpool FC are not, in my opinion, running their club in a responsible manner. It is an insult to infer that the Lansdown regime is in any way like that. Yes, he has made mistakes in the past and has paid in full for those.

It is very clear that when signing players now, the club is looking for value for money, not paying enormous salaries to players who are on the decline. A very different scenario to previous times at City.

Now I know you are just a WUM. The owners of Blackpool FC are not, in my opinion, running their club in a responsible manner. It is an insult to infer that the Lansdown regime is in any way like that. Yes, he has made mistakes in the past and has paid in full for those.

It is very clear that when signing players now, the club is looking for value for money, not paying enormous salaries to players who are on the decline. A very different scenario to previous times at City.

In view of what happened to a Blackpool fan who criticised the Oystons on their fans forum , would n't you like to agree with me that the Oyston family are wonderful human beings and are an excellent example of how to run a football club ?

Otherwise i could have cited Bradford City , Portsmouth . Hull ...

I was thinking mostly of City and that just may be Lansdown was pleasantly surprised by our promotion ( sound bites aside ) and if we could have been guaranteed promotion from the League 1 this season instead of last he would have accepted .

That could have made the running of the club easier and less risky with overheads in League 1 significantly lower than in the Championship whilst we finish the redevelopment of the Gate .

Any how , i am an old romantic and if the Premier league suddenly offered our beloved club a place amongst the best i would be delighted.

Many of you have chosen to missinterpret my post and if i was n't clear i apologise for all your twisted knickers.

I am not a troll nor a WUM i just like to share , i try to amuse and provoke discussion .This worked during the close season and i hope now the signings have started and there is a bit of footy to talk about some of you will calm down a bit .

Some of you don't appreciate my sense of humour and to those people i say " tough titty " but for those who do i will continue to try to put a smile on your angelic faces .

CTID

?

Do you think we are prepared for a season in the Championship ?

We can't pay the going rate for experienced Championship players in large part because the stadium is not finished .

We are at serious risk of losing the momentum which could just have launched us into the Prem if we could have added this quality to the squad.

That is my point.

I could be wrong but right now , as it stands , i feel my thread was justified and the posters who "smelt Gas " should open their eyes .

City since 1967.

Do you think we are prepared for a season in the Championship ?

We can't pay the going rate for experienced Championship players in large part because the stadium is not finished .

We are at serious risk of losing the momentum which could just have launched us into the Prem if we could have added this quality to the squad.

That is my point.

I could be wrong but right now , as it stands , i feel my thread was justified and the posters who "smelt Gas " should open their eyes .

City since 1967.

Really? 

You're overthinking it. We got promoted, let's get on with it. 

Can't wait till the transfer window's over. 

Forget the lack of transfer activity for one moment (which has been done to death, resurrected, and then flogged again), I'm still on a high from beating Boro. 

We were promoted at exactly the right time.

For what it's worth, I can see us beating Burnley tomorrow.  This BCFC team ebbing with confidence is a very dangerous beast indeed.

No.

As for the different views on transfer policies, I do not really care as long as there is an agreed strategy and everyone is on the same page. The bit that concerns me, only from straws in the wind, is that it is not apparent that it is the case.

I think you posted this thread too soon, we're only 4 games in!

It's irrelevant that we're 4 games in , Cotts has said that we can't compete on the wages front, Why ?

Because the stadium is not completed and maximising revenue.( promoted too soon )

Next year we will have a better chance to secure the quality needed to progress.

Everyone believes that our first eleven are good enough to hold their own in this league but they need support for when they are injured or out of form.

Archived