IGNORED

Promoted Too Soon ?

Major Isewater

It's irrelevant that we're 4 games in , Cotts has said that we can't compete on the wages front, Why ?

Because the stadium is not completed and maximising revenue.( promoted too soon )

Next year we will have a better chance to secure the quality needed to progress.

Everyone believes that our first eleven are good enough to hold their own in this league but they need support for when they are injured or out of form.

Tell that to Bournemouth look at their ground! It's never too early

Looks like SC feels the same!! :(

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/BRISTOL-CITY-Loans-likely-claims-Robins-boss/story-27689611-detail/story.html

Cotterill said: "I cannot sell the club any more than I have done. That's the bottom line here.

"There are players that potentially don't want to join us. I don't think that will be anything to do with the football clubicon1.png or anything to do with me. I think that will be purely down to finances.

"At the end of the day, we are nowhere near some of the money floating around out there. These days, if someone is going to offer you double what I'm offering you, then you are not going to sign for me.

"We are not in a position to do that. I can try and do things properly, but there is a risk we could end up in the bottom three and people probably wouldn't thank me for that."

Although Cotterill claims City are not prepared to be drawn into a bidding war situation with rival clubs, he admits the Championship newcomers have to become more competitive in the market place if they are to avoid a season of struggle.

He explained: "You have to be competitive, or you may as well not be in the league. If we are not going to be competitive in this league, then we may as well not have been promoted last season.

"I don't want Bristol City being one of those clubs languishing in the bottom half of the Championship. We have to break that mould.

Shall we go back to the league and admit that last season we were only joking and we would like to go back to being a big fish in the little leagues? 

Maybe we should let Sheffield United swap with us? They are still worrying a few of us on here

Looks like SC feels the same!! :(

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/BRISTOL-CITY-Loans-likely-claims-Robins-boss/story-27689611-detail/story.html

Cotterill said: "I cannot sell the club any more than I have done. That's the bottom line here.

"There are players that potentially don't want to join us. I don't think that will be anything to do with the football clubicon1.png or anything to do with me. I think that will be purely down to finances.

"At the end of the day, we are nowhere near some of the money floating around out there. These days, if someone is going to offer you double what I'm offering you, then you are not going to sign for me.

"We are not in a position to do that. I can try and do things properly, but there is a risk we could end up in the bottom three and people probably wouldn't thank me for that."

Although Cotterill claims City are not prepared to be drawn into a bidding war situation with rival clubs, he admits the Championship newcomers have to become more competitive in the market place if they are to avoid a season of struggle.

He explained: "You have to be competitive, or you may as well not be in the league. If we are not going to be competitive in this league, then we may as well not have been promoted last season.

"I don't want Bristol City being one of those clubs languishing in the bottom half of the Championship. We have to break that mould.

No he doesn't, he says we are going into the league to be competitive on the pitch but we can't hope to be competitive off it as yet. 

I respect the diversity in the answers and passion to this topic. It shocked me similar to the other posters that our management hadn't figured out the expected valuations of players at the end of last season. It has made me think if BCFC has the ambition to be in the Premiership again and that this then raises the observation, "if we undervalued the Championship, then we would have great problems if we were to get to the Premiership even with the increased sales. Perhaps BCFC does need a General Manager who can prepare for the Premiership or lets be honest with ourselves and stay as a League 1 team.

it just seems so ironic and this has left an image of a mediocre leadership team unaware of the true costs of an aspiring Championship side.

Very astute leadership in the financial investment sector but not so much in a football business.

It's irrelevant that we're 4 games in , Cotts has said that we can't compete on the wages front, Why ?

Because the stadium is not completed and maximising revenue.( promoted too soon )

Next year we will have a better chance to secure the quality needed to progress.

Everyone believes that our first eleven are good enough to hold their own in this league but they need support for when they are injured or out of form.

guess what....football isn't all about money and stadiums. We are where we are because we deserve to be there. Promoted to soon?? Ask Bournemouth that question, I think they might laugh at you

Ignoring a poor performance against Wednesday we have already beaten this seasons title favourites away from home, battered last seasons play-off semi finalists for 35 minutes and come back from an impossible position against our bogey team unbeaten Leeds. If we can get anything from tomorrows game against a team that surprised a lot of people in the premiership last season then we would have had a decent start in what has been a very difficult August. There are plenty of teams we will finish above this season.

Not sure a new stadium is going to bring in enough revenue to void the gap between those with parachute payments and us mate.

Plus...why has SC been spouting that we will struggle this year and could be potential bottom three, if he doesn't have faith in this squad as it is?

Ignoring a poor performance against Wednesday we have already beaten this seasons title favourites away from home, battered last seasons play-off semi finalists for 35 minutes and come back from an impossible position against our bogey team unbeaten Leeds. If we can get anything from tomorrows game against a team that surprised a lot of people in the premiership last season then we would have had a decent start in what has been a very difficult August. There are plenty of teams we will finish above this season.

Well said that man

So how do you explain how Bournemouth managed to gain promotion when they had a smaller and less equipped ground than we already have? They signed players within those restraints and went up. I just don't think it's al down to money and paying huge salaries, there are other ways as Bournemouth and previously Blackpool have shown

Can't speak for Bournemouth ,i don't follow them

Not sure a new stadium is going to bring in enough revenue to void the gap between those with parachute payments and us mate.

Plus...why has SC been spouting that we will struggle this year and could be potential bottom three, if he doesn't have faith in this squad as it is?

Cotts said something along the lines of if we had 50% to make up he could sell the club but twice their wages   we can't compete . I believe that with the revenue streams functioning at 100% we will be in the game .

Any way, for the hard of understanding,  i did n't say we were promoted too soon i just posed the question for a discussion and view the difficulties we've had to attract Championship players i have an answer of sorts.

Can't speak for Bournemouth ,i don't follow them

Cotts said something along the lines of if we had 50% to make up he could sell the club but twice their wages we can't compete . I believe that with the revenue streams functioning at 100% we will be in the game .

Any way, for the hard of understanding, i did n't say we were promoted too soon i just posed the question for a discussion and view the difficulties we've had to attract Championship players i have an answer of sorts.

So you are not aware that Bournemouth, a club smaller than us, managed to get to the Prem without having a shiny new stadium built or without having parachute payments to pay huge Championship salaries? You are not aware of that, yet sight these things as reasons for us not being able to do the same? Bizarre comment

So you are not aware that Bournemouth, a club smaller than us, managed to get to the Prem without having a shiny new stadium built or without having parachute payments to pay huge Championship salaries? You are not aware of that, yet sight these things as reasons for us not being able to do the same? Bizarre comment

You are evidently struggling  like a salmon on the bank so  i'll leave you floundering .

You are evidently struggling like a salmon on the bank so i'll leave you floundering .

Not sure why I'm struggling? This makes about as much sense as your other posts! The point you continually fail to see or acknowledge is that if we are in your opinion unprepared for life in the Championship, how do you explain what Bournemouth did last season, a club even less prepared for life in the Championship?

Archived