IGNORED

Channel 5 - New Football League Show

Abraham Romanovich

Ok I'll bite, there is no way Wigan are a bigger football club than us. Now they are languishing in League One gates will be 4 figures and the tv will not show a lot of them. I would even challenge the notion that Birmingham are bigger than us. The likes of Leeds and Sheffield Weds are without any doubt.

Of course Birmingham are far bigger than us. Top flight all through the 60s, 70s and most of the naughties plus a league cup win. We aren't even close to that.

Please tell me you are joking?? You will not be able to find a season in the history of league football when Birmingham have had an average attendance higher than Wednesday. In addition, Wednesday have won loads more trophies. Homework time for you young man.

Well, according to these links Brum have had higher average crowds than Wednesday in quite a few seasons....if you scroll down there is a comprehensive list - the last season being 2010/11 when Brum had a higher figure

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Birmingham_City_F.C._seasons

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sheffield_Wednesday_F.C._seasons

Well, according to these links Brum have had higher average crowds than Wednesday in quite a few seasons....if you scroll down there is a comprehensive list - the last season being 2010/11 when Brum had a higher figurehttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Birmingham_City_F.C._seasonshttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sheffield_Wednesday_F.C._seasons

Ok, I can't be bothered to total up the seasons etc, but as a statto can you just confirm that Super is wrong and I am right, Wednesday are a bigger club than Birmingham on the basis that they have won more trophies, on average have finished higher in league and on average have attracted higher gates. For my part I am willing to concede that Birmingham are a bigger club than us on the above criteria.

Absolutely. I fast forward all of the punditry on MOTD every week. They just tell you what you have already seen.

I agree with this Dave, the only exception I make is on the shite Sky Sports!!! MNF... Gary Neville, never skip a word the bloke speaks. His footballing intelligence is mind blowing, love his punditry

Ok, I can't be bothered to total up the seasons etc, but as a statto can you just confirm that Super is wrong and I am right, Wednesday are a bigger club than Birmingham on the basis that they have won more trophies, on average have finished higher in league and on average have attracted higher gates. For my part I am willing to concede that Birmingham are a bigger club than us on the above criteria.

Well hang on a minute! You told someone to 'do their homework' and stated that Wednesday have never had a lower average crowd than Brum in any league season.

When I post a link or two that proves that to be incorrect you simply say you cannot be bothered to 'total up the seasons' - so I'm just wondering how you came to the conclusion that Wednesday have had higher average crowds for every league season in history? Was it just a guess?

Anyway, to answer your other point; as I said on another thread, I'm not sure how the size of a club is actually decided.

Is it trophies? Total history? Recent history? Potential? Crowds? Who knows?

But it is safe to say that Sheff Wed do punch above their weight when it comes to crowds, especially as they have had equal/better crowds than Brum at times when Birmingham has over a million people living there! Yes Brum compete with Villa for fans but then Weds compete with the Blades in a smaller city.

So, back to the stats then as you asked!

Both Wednesday and Brum have spent 66 seasons in the top division - neck and neck!

Wednesday have won the top div a total of 4 times, the last being in 1930. They've won the FA Cup 3 times, the last being in 1935. They've won the League Cup once in 1991.

Brum have won the second tier div (in its various guises) 4 times and have also been runner up at the same level 7 times. They've won the FA Cup twice and the League Cup twice. They've also won the Football League Trophy twice and the Football League South once.

So, not sure who is bigger given all that, I'll leave it to you to decide.

Well hang on a minute! You told someone to 'do their homework' and stated that Wednesday have never had a lower average crowd than Brum in any league season.

When I post a link or two that proves that to be incorrect you simply say you cannot be bothered to 'total up the seasons' - so I'm just wondering how you came to the conclusion that Wednesday have had higher average crowds for every league season in history? Was it just a guess?

Anyway, to answer your other point; as I said on another thread, I'm not sure how the size of a club is actually decided.

Is it trophies? Total history? Recent history? Potential? Crowds? Who knows?

But it is safe to say that Sheff Wed do punch above their weight when it comes to crowds, especially as they have had equal/better crowds than Brum at times when Birmingham has over a million people living there! Yes Brum compete with Villa for fans but then Weds compete with the Blades in a smaller city.

So, back to the stats then as you asked!

Both Wednesday and Brum have spent 66 seasons in the top division - neck and neck!

Wednesday have won the top div a total of 4 times, the last being in 1930. They've won the FA Cup 3 times, the last being in 1935. They've won the League Cup once in 1991.

Brum have won the second tier div (in its various guises) 4 times and have also been runner up at the same level 7 times. They've won the FA Cup twice and the League Cup twice. They've also won the Football League Trophy twice and the Football League South once.

So, not sure who is bigger given all that, I'll leave it to you to decide.

You've gone a long way around it, but you've basically confirmed what I said right at the beginning - Sheffield Wednesday have 7 major trophies to Birmingham's 3 major trophies and Wednesday have had bigger average attendances in the majority (I was wrong to state all) of the seasons. I must admit to being amazed that Birmingham have had 66 seasons in the top division but I am not going to question your stats. It was not the chasm I was expecting I admit, but I still stand by my initial ascertain that Super was wrong to call Birmingham a bigger club than Wednesday.

You've gone a long way around it, but you've basically confirmed what I said right at the beginning - Sheffield Wednesday have 7 major trophies to Birmingham's 3 major trophies and Wednesday have had bigger average attendances in the majority (I was wrong to state all) of the seasons. I must admit to being amazed that Birmingham have had 66 seasons in the top division but I am not going to question your stats. It was not the chasm I was expecting I admit, but I still stand by my initial ascertain that Super was wrong to call Birmingham a bigger club than Wednesday.

Fair enough mate - as I said I haven't a clue how people decide whether a club is 'big' or not or 'bigger' than another one! 

Crowds? Potential crowds? History? Recent history? Trophies? Recent trophies? Stadium?!!

Who knows!

I actually applaud them for trying something different, but it's in the wrong place.

Saturday night - all we want is to see highlights/goals and interview clips

Sunday night - magazine show with pundits, features etc

Or to put it another way - MOTD and MOTD2

Archived