IGNORED

Bobby Reid: Make Or Break Season

tomhbcfc

Good article. Bobby is clearly a very technically gifted footballer hence why he got a chance in the team a few years ago at the end of a championship season and why SOD played him so regularly in league 1. His ability isn't really in question IMO.

I agree that this is a make or break season for him. For me, it's all about where is he going to play? Is he pitching himself as an attacking midfielder to push Freeman, or is he a regular central midfielder to push Smith and Pack. He can play both but will have to do a lot to get in the team. Has he bulked up enough to play centre mid? Has he got the correct mentality to make a success of his natural ability? One things for sure, if we don't make too many signings then Bob has got a great chance of getting an opportunity this year. He'll definitely be on the bench against Wednesday and as things stand is next in line behind Smith, Pack and Freeman.

He needs to take this opportunity of being closer to the first team than he was last season.

I have said elsewhere replacing Pack with Reid is not an option in my opinion. He is a creative attacking midfielder rather than covering the defence which Pack is so good at. 

Having said that I have not seen Reid for some time -- like others had great hopes for him but somehow it has not happened. He did tend to get knocked off the ball far too easily and if he has bulked up then he could become the player we all yearn for him to be. Lets hope so.

It is interesting how so suddenly we are talking up the reserves. it may be that our dearth of youngsters coming through in recent seasons is because they have never seemingly had any encouragement and that is now beginning to change. A huge part of bringing on the youngsters is not only their skill but their belief in themselves and I feel our current management team could actually be pretty good at this. If so then it will also change the mentality of the younger players to think that they have a future , that they should be encouraged to go out and express themselves and that they may at least appear on the bench. Also it is strange that when the season just ended we were all wanting youngsters to be given a chance when all had been won -- in a few weeks it seems as though most of the bench is going to be from the U21's. tThe right way to go but is this because Wadey is saying if I take on this role I actually want an end product?

I have said elsewhere replacing Pack with Reid is not an option in my opinion. He is a creative attacking midfielder rather than covering the defence which Pack is so good at. 

Having said that I have not seen Reid for some time -- like others had great hopes for him but somehow it has not happened. He did tend to get knocked off the ball far too easily and if he has bulked up then he could become the player we all yearn for him to be. Lets hope so.

It is interesting how so suddenly we are talking up the reserves. it may be that our dearth of youngsters coming through in recent seasons is because they have never seemingly had any encouragement and that is now beginning to change. A huge part of bringing on the youngsters is not only their skill but their belief in themselves and I feel our current management team could actually be pretty good at this. If so then it will also change the mentality of the younger players to think that they have a future , that they should be encouraged to go out and express themselves and that they may at least appear on the bench. Also it is strange that when the season just ended we were all wanting youngsters to be given a chance when all had been won -- in a few weeks it seems as though most of the bench is going to be from the U21's. tThe right way to go but is this because Wadey is saying if I take on this role I actually want an end product?

Re your point about Reid playing more in the Freeman role - this is something I considered when writing the article, but I believe that if he does get a chance then it will be as one of the two holding CM's, but I guess Smith will play more defensively, whereas Bobby is more of a roaming CM

Re your point about Reid playing more in the Freeman role - this is something I considered when writing the article, but I believe that if he does get a chance then it will be as one of the two holding CM's, but I guess Smith will play more defensively, whereas Bobby is more of a roaming CM

Just can't see Reid as a holding midfielder at this level.

If he is going to feature as a starter it will have to be in a more attacking position (covering Freeman or behind a lone striker, in my opinion).

I agree. Marlon provides that Pirlo/Alonso type roll. He's a good link between defense and our forwards. He sprays balls out to our WBs. Also he provides more height and strength right in front of our CBs. He often breaks up play before our defense and wins a fair share of headers letting Flint stay back to sweep up any trouble.

You won't get flash with Marlon but he became a vital part of the squad and he's got every bit of growing to do as Bobby.

I really like Bobby Reid and hope he's part of our bench and gets a few starts in cup games and spot starts in the league. He's going to have to prove himself in these first few months in those few chances. Also, in my opinion, he'll be backing up Freeman or maybe some spot striker. Also maybe coming on for Korey if we need a goal or coming on for a striker to provide another midfielder. Whichever way, he needs to impress or he will be back out on loan. Not sure if this season is his last chance though.

Reid, in the few times I've noticed him on the pitch has never impressed me.

I'm surprised that he's got his own thread on here.....

Its true. He has been getting a fair few mentions on here of late, probably because we have such a lack of depth in that area. For me he is not good enough, he wasn't good enough even for league 1 for the vast majority of the time.

People will use the 'he is young' argument, but at 21/22 there is little excuse. Its an area i hope (and i think we will) get some quality in over these next few weeks.

Towards the end of the season when SOD took the reigns, I thought Bobby looked really good and was certainly one of the players that seemed to have passion and fight in him as well as the ability. I also felt that given time he had the potential to perform the mid field role we had been so lacking since Hartley. I met him at DL gym and was amazed at how tiny he was and did wonder if he would be too easily muscled out.

However, he had a good season last at Argyle and now hope that he is given a chance albeit in a supporting role. It's easy to forget how players can come good- Flint and Pack were rated by many as L2 at best with J Bryan also questioned . Let's just see how it goes- we know that SC eventually will be buying a quality MF so Bobby's got a small window of opportunity now.

I agree with the OP in that it's a make or break season for BR - as far as City are concerned.

Nothing more than I would love to see than a local lad getting into team. Just like Jo Bryan did after returning from loan, bobby needs to take advantage of us having a thin squad. When he comes on as sub or starts Luton game? He needs to start season on fire. Go on bobby , you can do it.

Archived