IGNORED

Aiming Too High?

Lew-T

Not only Sweden outside that pond. England is world leading when it comes to player cost and it is now a 30 percent sale due to currency rates. Only a fool would sign a player currently at an English club

Only if you can guarantee that any Swedish players signed won't start eating all of the youth team players like Thomas Brolin did after he signed for Leeds.

To suggest the handful of players we signed over the last couple of seasons are the only British players representing good value for money is ridiculous.

Either that or we sure do have a knack. I mean what are the odds? Every good value British player in existence signed for Bristol City :facepalm:

There are gems all over the planet but why buy them on the most overpriced market were prices due to exchange rates additionately is a an extra 30 percent higher?

It seems everytime this summer we've put a bid in or made an enquiry about a player, bigger clubs seem to jump in and snap them up. As a club do you think we are aiming too high with the calibre of players we are after? Don't get me wrong it's exciting and nice to be linked with such players but what happened to looking at younger and unproven players?

I thought that was the plan, seeing as we supposedly have one of the smallest budgets in the league?

How do you know we haven't been looking at younger players? Or lower league players?

There are gems all over the planet but why buy them on the most overpriced market were prices due to exchange rates additionately is a an extra 30 percent higher?

Can only think of one reason and that is the comfort factor. They have been in England their whole careers and you have a good idea that they'll fit in pretty well. That being said, if we signed say 5 more, I would be very happy if 2 were from outside of England with potential. There are some steals in the second division of many countries and steal in countries like Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Switzerland, Holland and even Austria.

a) a lot easier for a small club like ourselves to scout in a local market than a distant one

b) proven experience in a particular league is a massive factor. The championship is arguably one of the world's most competitive leagues and players with a good deal of experience/proven track record at this level or above come with a premium for that reason.

c) the ability to communicate in the same language as your team mates is a big factor also. It's ok having someone in your team that doesn't speak the lingo (Kodjia) but having 6 players in your starting XI that don't speak English well isn't exactly conducive to team unity.

Not saying you can't look overseas but signing unproven nobodies from inferior leagues isn't some magical cure. If you're going to do that you may as well look to recruit from

L1/L2.

we may be onto a winner with Kodjia but he's barely cheaper than the fee we're reported to have bid for Lingard. Step below the top tier of most leagues (or two for the big few leagues) and the standard is poor so why sign unproven foreign players on the sole basis of them being cheap?

Not only Sweden outside that pond. England is world leading when it comes to player cost and it is now a 30 percent sale due to currency rates. Only a fool would sign a player currently at an English club

Couldn't disagree more if I'm honest..

1-English players/players from English clubs are experienced in English leagues so are more prepared for the style of play.

2-The amount of times we've seen foreign players flop in the football league is ridiculous!

3-I take pride in having English players.

4-Our whole squad from last year was British. I've heard we did alright last season?

5-I feel team spirit is much improved by a team predominantly of English players. Less cliquey, less language barriers and simply easier for everyone to bond due to improved communication with everyones first language being English.

Just my opinion. Although I do agree foreign players can be worth looking at, provide decent value for money and often add something to a team that you can't always get in England.

Archived