IGNORED

Is The Step In Really That Big?

SedRA

Obviously we struggled yesterday and quite a few people commented on how the step up is quite big from L1. But looking at Preston and MKs results today/yesterday they seemed to have faired well without significant investments. Do people think the step up is that great or we just weren't at the races yesterday?

The problem is because it was the first game of the season, we don't yet know whether it was just a bad day at the office or in fact the step up was bigger than the players expected.

Either way comparing the result to the other promoted sides is irrelevant at this stage.

On the plus side the players will now know what to expect and what is expected of them at a higher level.

However it didn't go to plan yesterday, SCs interviews, current concerns over recruitment we won't really be able to judge for 6-10 games IMO

Can't believe that even our beloved club can manage to turn a promotion winning side into a relegation dogfight !!!

Everything in normal terms suggests we will be fine but we, as a club don't do normal ;)

I would contend that all leagues maintain a gulf in quality, but each successive promotion increases the size of that gulf.

What becomes more noticeable was you move into the Championship or Premier League is how essential it is to have 11 proven Championship/premiership quality players on the field, week in week out. If you don't, then the old adage "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" becomes patently obvious.

Its 1 game !! The time to worry will be end of September. Until then we have to believe

Early 90's, City lost the opening game by a 2 goal margin (3-1 at Wolves) whilst Rovers lost their opening games 1-0 at home. Sounds familiar?

Both managers told the EP things will get better and they did. City finished comfortably mid table; W16 D16 L14. As you say spoons; lets play a few games and then see where we stand.

That 1905-06 season started off with a 5-1 home defeat. City then walked to promotion.

The only difference yesterday was two bits of piss poor defending on our part, other than that the game was close and we actually passed the ball better than them.

I'd argue that Wendy were guilty of some poor finishing and 2-0 flattered us.

It's early days yet and the Luton game would be a good chance to restore confidence and maybe even try a plan b, something we most definitely need in this division.

A poor performance but it's only one game, if it's the same in 10 games time I will worry but for now it's back to the training ground and time for the new lads to settle in.

Personally I'm not that fussed about yesterday's performance, thought we looked rusty and abit off the pace but not suprised by our weak pre-season, just going to put it down to a bad bad for now.  Anyway its only one game, remember in our relegation season when we beat both crystal palace and cardiff 4-2 I think? and we looked the real deal? Tough learning experience for the lads yesterday, lets get 5-10 games in before any more knee-jerk reactions on here.

Good luck with that!

Indeed, many people are just waiting to pounce with negativity it seems unfortunately..

As plenty of others have said please can we just see what the crack is 8 or 9 games in. The prime example is if we spank Luton beat Brentford and a few new faces come in.. Fo0k many will have us down as world beaters again on here

I'm not bothered by the gulf, we werent totally destroyed by the wendies and if we had our shooting boots coulda had a few goals as well, Freeman/Wilbs

New season, first day results are always a mixed bag, I'm sure we will cope.

I'm sure you are correct

My opinion is that the gulf isn't that big, particularly in light of the other two promoted teams results. Weds were a tidy team but nothing we couldn't of matched when we're firing.

The question then is why weren't we firing? My guess is a slight lack of pre season match intensity and some side-effects from the whole transfer market issues that seem to be deflating SC. To my eyes there seemed to be a correlation between a lacklustre city and a heavy hearted SC, which could be purely coincidence of course.

Archived