IGNORED

Fao Spudski

BCFC_Dan

In the light of comments made this weekend by Steve Cotterill and Steve Lansdown it looks as though you may have called things correctly the other week: they do appear to have been somewhat caught out by the prices asked for the players they were looking at and since they've not managed to make enough new signings yet that suggests that they were looking at the wrong players for the budget.

I still think the squad has enough about it to stay up, and if the players can adapt quickly then they may still be successful this season. I also think that the board are right to stick to their guns over the prices they'll pay, but the comments made have made it clear that this is not the outcome they expected and that mistakes have been made in recruitment. Personally, I think admitting it is also a mistake but that was probably just a heat of the moment thing.

Been on my stag, can someone give me a quick synopsis of what has happened please....short sentences please, I'm still struggling a bit!

League 1 champs

Promotion

Lost first championship game

Need new manager, squad and formation

Suicidal

Bye!

Chip / Downend - that was pretty much the message I'm getting here. Slight overreaction? More concerned with what SL/SC have said?

In terms of the game, massive overreaction. We were actually the better team in the 1st half, we just lacked a cutting edge. As for SC and SL's comments, it's not exactly news or rocket science that it's been taking time to get in the targets we want and that those targets are costly, certainly not a great start to the season but the panic is a tad OTT

Been on my stag, can someone give me a quick synopsis of what has happened please....short sentences please, I'm still struggling a bit!

Just to be clear, I'm not bothered by the defeat, nor am I worried for the season ahead.

My post was in reference to a discussion I had with Spudski recently in which he claimed that the management had been overly ambitious in choosing their recruitment targets and I argued that they hadn't.

Following the defeat, Steve Cotterill said:

"We need to get Mark Little back fit and Kieran Agard back fully fit. Then at least we'd have our League 1 team of last year available."

and, in reference to the transfer market:

"We've had a tough summer for sure..... Ryan doesn't understand it yet, Callum doesn't yet and Jonathan doesn't yet. That is what happens when you get people in later"

There was also a quote from Steve Lansdown, which I cannot find right now, to the effect of "we were taken by surprise by the prices quoted for players".

Until these quotes I was happy to accept that it was a difficult summer but no harder than the club had expected. The quotes make it clear that it's actually been much tougher than they expected, which implies that their expectations were wrong.

Again, I'm not particularly worried by this, though none of the quotes sound particularly good. I just wanted to admit in the light of new information that I was wrong about certain things.

If we sign someone this week, will it be seen as a panic buy, or is it one of Cotts and Burt smoke screens?

It doesn't need to be a panic buy necessarily. It could be a target who has been lined up for a while but that the shock of Saturday has persuaded the board to release more money for signings. I hope not.

In the light of comments made this weekend by Steve Cotterill and Steve Lansdown it looks as though you may have called things correctly the other week: they do appear to have been somewhat caught out by the prices asked for the players they were looking at and since they've not managed to make enough new signings yet that suggests that they were looking at the wrong players for the budget.

I still think the squad has enough about it to stay up, and if the players can adapt quickly then they may still be successful this season. I also think that the board are right to stick to their guns over the prices they'll pay, but the comments made have made it clear that this is not the outcome they expected and that mistakes have been made in recruitment. Personally, I think admitting it is also a mistake but that was probably just a heat of the moment thing.

No worries fella....it's all good :-)

The situation is what it is now...

It's not the best situation we find ourselves...especially with the Bryan injury and Little and Agard both coming back to full fitness.

Lets see where we are in ten games time.

As SC said in his comments....Wednesdays Subs didn't make them weaker as a Unit.

A lot of our players are playing catch up and learning in a new Division.

Experience costs at this level.... I only hope we can get some in later this month.

Hopefully we don't find ourselves playing catch up too much.

Unfortunately as SC has said....it's all about 'Hope' and 'luck' at the moment....which isn't good.

This is hardly rocket science though is it, I posted the same on another thread about 3 weeks ago, and I am fairly convinced from what I have heard from those closer to the club than I am that this exactly the case.

We have Ballesed up big time and I think this will come out in the wash if we start very badly

I think we were very lucky last summer with many players coming to the end of their contracts so they were easy to poach at little cost.

This has possibly made them naive this summer thinking the same would happen. Unfortunately we are now a little fish in a big pond.

Archived