IGNORED

"no One On The Back Post"

myol'man

That's what the bloke behind me said as Wednesday were about to take the corner.

10 seconds later we were 1-0 down as Tom Lees got clear from Derrick Williams and his header flew in near the back post.

I know this debate as gone on for years with ex-players like Alan Hansen etc. saying it would never have happened in my day, while managers will say it's a waste of a defender, but when you see it happen right in front of your eyes it is very, very annoying.

Overall I thought we looked OK in the first half and needed to score then. Second half we weren't in the game :(

That's what the bloke behind me said as Wednesday were about to take the corner.

10 seconds later we were 1-0 down as Tom Lees got clear from Derrick Williams and his header flew in near the back post.

I know this debate as gone on for years with ex-players like Alan Hansen etc. saying it would never have happened in my day, while managers will say it's a waste of a defender, but when you see it happen right in front of your eyes it is very, very annoying.

Overall I thought we looked OK in the first half and needed to score then. Second half we weren't in the game :(

Total agree myol'man.... we said exactly the same! Agree with last sentence as well, spot on.

There is a reason so few teams have players on the posts. I'm no analyst but I'm sure with tools like Prozone it can be proven whether or not it is worth having men on the posts. There are many things in football that are about playing the odds correctly. A good example is Manuel Neuer who routinely charges well out of his goal to intercept a through ball. This can save several goals per season, however due to its unorthodox nature, people won't like it. Then the one time in a season he misjudges it and he concedes, people slate his style, despite it being a net gain for Bayern/Germany. With this you have to trust the coaches and analysts who can see much more than we can with the help of technology.

It's only a waste of a defender IF your defender instead stays with (and beats) the runner, whereas our lot all stood by and let Lees have a completely unchallenged free header from 6 yards.

Inexcusable at Sunday league level let alone the Championship. Cotts will rightly be fuming as we were undone by two completely unnecessary defensive errors.

I tend to agree but not all managers do.

Having both posts guarded means two less defending players are able to attack the ball and that's largely why not all managers do it.

Which is why people recommend having one player on the back post.

I tend to agree but not all managers do.

Having both posts guarded means two less defending players are able to attack the ball and that's largely why not all managers do it.

Or in the case of Saturday, two less players to stand by and watch as the opposition get an unmarked header from point blank range :)

shall we move on to the second goal..

Frankie Fielding's left the building....

Genuinely can't understand why he came out for that. You could see it was looping away the second it left his boot. At least on his line he would have had a small chance, as it was he left himself with absolutely no chance.

Frankie Fielding's left the building....

Genuinely can't understand why he came out for that. You could see it was looping away the second it left his boot. At least on his line he would have had a small chance, as it was he left himself with absolutely no chance.

He simply misjudged it, just as Cech did against West Ham.

Unfortunately when 'keepers mess things up the ball can and frequently does end up in the net.

Or in the case of Saturday, two less players to stand by and watch as the opposition get an unmarked header from point blank range :)

Exactly, if the defenders aren't going to bother marking their man, we might as well put the whole team on the line.

Marking your man.......and staying with him is basic football taught to schoolkids.

I'd wager Cotts had a word or two to say about it.

Exactly, if the defenders aren't going to bother marking their man, we might as well put the whole team on the line.

Marking your man.......and staying with him is basic football taught to schoolkids.

I'd wager Cotts had a word or two to say about it.

Man marking sounds easy and is fairly easy when you're playing teams who train once, maybe twice a week at amateur level. When we have a corner, freeman is almost always looking for flint. Everybody else's job involves making space for flint. Look at any corner and you'll see half the players are not trying to head the ball, but are blocking and obstructing the markers. Williams loses Lees but is obstructed by Aylings man. Professional teams can practice this, the dark arts of set pieces. 

2m2i5jk.jpg

Here you can see Williams being blocked by Aylings man. If anything Wilbraham, who is making nobody should have guarded that space better as he moves towards the near post for no apparent reason, leaving the huge space for Lees.

I've had this chat with my matea as I thought it was Ayling who lost his man.

Definatley Williams who lost lees.

Archived