IGNORED

Callum Robinson's Comments - A Lot Of Truth

Fat Cigar

Indeed.  And let's not forget Swansea endured struggles and difficult periods in the Championship before getting promoted into the Premier League.  It was a three year task and I'm sure the board, the managers and the players learned loads along the way. It's no secret that recruitment and preparation have not gone to plan over the summer but that doesn't mean everything's doomed.  It means the board, KB and SC will do what they can to bring in who they can over the next 3 weeks and then in the loan market and then you'd hope they can put what they've learned into practice in January and next Summer to keep improving.

We have all the quality and hallmarks of a good Championship team. However, these are young players who havent had much experience above League 1 level, they are all good enough but it will take them a while to get used to the difference in quality between the Championship and League 1.

Saturday was a perfect example, slack marking and we were 1-0 down, mistakes are capitalised on in this League which the players aren't used to at a lower level, they will learn I'm sure but it will take them all a while to adapt, they have the quality just not the experience which they will eventually gain.

Keeping the squad together is also key because this means they can improve together and go through the peaks of all their careers together this also means it will take time. I have no doubt we have players that will take the Championship by storm, eventually.

Indeed.  And let's not forget Swansea endured struggles and difficult periods in the Championship before getting promoted into the Premier League.  It was a three year task and I'm sure the board, the managers and the players learned loads along the way. It's no secret that recruitment and preparation have not gone to plan over the summer but that doesn't mean everything's doomed.  It means the board, KB and SC will do what they can to bring in who they can over the next 3 weeks and then in the loan market and then you'd hope they can put what they've learned into practice in January and next Summer to keep improving.

Totally agree with you fella....things haven't gone to plan for whatever reason....but it doesn't mean all is doomed.

However....if it does go tits up because of a poor recruitment policy over the summer...then serious questions should be asked.

We have all the quality and hallmarks of a good Championship team. However, these are young players who havent had much experience above League 1 level, they are all good enough but it will take them a while to get used to the difference in quality between the Championship and League 1.

Saturday was a perfect example, slack marking and we were 1-0 down, mistakes are capitalised on in this League which the players aren't used to at a lower level, they will learn I'm sure but it will take them all a while to adapt, they have the quality just not the experience which they will eventually gain.

Keeping the squad together is also key because this means they can improve together and go through the peaks of all their careers together this also means it will take time. I have no doubt we have players that will take the Championship by storm, eventually.

Hopefully...

Home form is going to be vital this season. When I saw the fixture list I thought we'd be in for a tough start. Every game this month is tricky. If we beat Brentford, I'll be delirious. 

And please, none of the conceding goals in the last few minutes that we had several seasons back. 

Be careful talking sense....lots don't agree with possession and patience or long term....;-) said with tongue firmly in cheek ;-)

I know! They need to go and speak to fans of Leeds/Portsmouth/Plymouth/Darlington/Coventry, even Cardiff and Hull. I don't want our club run like any of them. 

Like everybody else here, I've been thinking about this quite a bit since Saturday.

I had a look at Bournemouth's early season results when they were first promoted and although they won their first game, it was at home to a fairly average Charlton side. In their first two away matches they were hammered 6-1 at Watford and 5-1 at Huddersfield. Those heavy defeats didn't stop them having a good season.

I also thought about the team we had in 2007/08 under Gary Johnson. It was a lot more experienced than the current one. If we count the SPL as being of approximately Championship standard, we had 7 players in the first XI who had played at either Championship or SPL level. This time we have 4 (excluding Bryan and Reid who may have played a game or two last time we were up). Of course this team is going to take longer to adjust to the new level than that one did. Unlike that team, though, I think a number of the players have it in them to improve over the coming seasons.

There's enough quality in the team to stay up and the manager is good enough to keep them up even if we can't compete in the transfer market. The players will improve over the course of the season. If they improve by enough and quickly enough they can still have a successful season.

This is still an exciting time and if the team is successful nobody will ever be able to say they bought that success.

Totally agree with you fella....things haven't gone to plan for whatever reason....but it doesn't mean all is doomed.

However....if it does go tits up because of a poor recruitment policy over the summer...then serious questions should be asked.

Indeed.  But what I think is good about the club now is that I get the impression that serious questions do get asked internally and that the club now analyse their mistakes as much as anyone on the outside does.  Which means that, whilst the board and staff aren't perfect and get the odd bit wrong here and there, I'd like to think there are checks and safeguards in place to avoid things deteriorating as badly as they did four years ago and I hope we're now in a position where the infrastructure and direction of the club can survive players leaving, manager changes and those other things that are inevitably part and parcel of football.

Phew. I've only logged onto OTIB for the first time since the match just now. I knew the board would be awash with negative, moaning rubbish, and it's refreshing to see a post like this. I haven't bothered to waste my time reading the other stuff - I've skimmed a couple of threads and decided that was enough.

Give this team a chance to settle into the league, people. More attitudes like this please! Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but I think some people need to chill out a bit.

I think SC's frustration is one we all share. By next season we will have a fantastic looking ground and we have the basis of a quality team to go with it. SC is seeing as we all do a huge opportunity to capitalise on an amazing season by adding real quality to an already good team. It would be a shame if we add a touch too late and end up having a season all over the shop where players like Freeman and Bryan shine and we end up losing them to better placed teams forcing a harder recruitment drive for the following season. We were not outclassed Saturday. Fielding had very little to do and Sheffield Wednesday were happy to let us have the ball and exploit the gaps down the wings where we had to move Fredericks over and use Burns who hardly played at all for us last season. All things considered Burns and Fredericks did pretty well but we have a particular way of playing and with the obvious disruption of the injury it was just a but too much to keep our way of playing cohesive enough. Cannot wait for the two upcoming home games where we can give a massive effort in the stands too to get them going again.

I think SC's frustration is one we all share. By next season we will have a fantastic looking ground and we have the basis of a quality team to go with it. SC is seeing as we all do a huge opportunity to capitalise on an amazing season by adding real quality to an already good team. It would be a shame if we add a touch too late and end up having a season all over the shop where players like Freeman and Bryan shine and we end up losing them to better placed teams forcing a harder recruitment drive for the following season. We were not outclassed Saturday. Fielding had very little to do and Sheffield Wednesday were happy to let us have the ball and exploit the gaps down the wings where we had to move Fredericks over and use Burns who hardly played at all for us last season. All things considered Burns and Fredericks did pretty well but we have a particular way of playing and with the obvious disruption of the injury it was just a but too much to keep our way of playing cohesive enough. Cannot wait for the two upcoming home games where we can give a massive effort in the stands too to get them going again.

Top post. Completely agree and like you cant wait til Saturday .

Like the previous contributors, I believe that there is more at City to be positive about than the negatives. We have a squad where the only player over 26 is Aaron Willbraham and even AD's team in 1976 could not claim that. They have shown themselves to be quick learners and will adjust to this league for sure.

We must all keep behind this squad and continue to build our home record at Fortress Ashton Gate.

Archived