IGNORED

Time For A Continental Scouting Network?

numbeast

We need both proven Championship players and continental (and non-league) bargains.

Kodjia will hopefully be a success in time but he's quite clearly not up to speed with his team mates or the league yet. That's perfectly understandable and it doesn't mean he won't be a success. However, at the moment we're pretty reliant on him because Agard isn't fit and Wilbraham is old. Getting someone in now who can immediately score goals in the Championship could be the difference between success and failure this season.

When we're more settled at this level then I agree we should be looking for more good value signings from abroad and from non-league. Even with the best scouting in the world they're going to be a gamble, though, and we need to be in a position where we can afford to make a gamble without risking the team's place in the league.

I've said similar before, not about the grammar police.

Alex McLeish spoke very interestingly on talksport some time ago. He mentioned what good young players he'd come across during his time in Belgium. People should be queuing up to pick his brains, the other thing I think we miss out on is team links. 

The long running debate about Willem II, is a case in point. We have other supporters going to and from teams like Royal Antwerp and Dortmond.

If friendly links could be forged then their scouting set up's could be used to our advantage, and vice versa. 

It would negate the need for an actual scouting set up. This may be a complete non starter in real terms, but could work in theory.

The Club needs to invest heavily in a world scouting network ( not necessarily financially ) and also better scouting in this country.

Listen to people who know about lower league football. Be open minded.

Also keep developing the Academy...it imho, is the only way forward.

With even more investment in the Prem, that money will filtrate down into the Championship....creating an even bigger inbalance to the true value of players.

Players of the same ability as those in the Championship, play in other leagues, and are a small percentage of the cost of those in the Championship.

You don't want people to read your post? A lot of people won't read a chunk of text like that. Just making it more readable. No need to be a dick about it

I'm sorry you think I'm acting that way, it wasn't intentional. But when the first reply is "and in paragraphs" without explanation or indeed any reference to the content of the post it does lead to ambiguity. Then you took the trouble to re-format the post I was not sure if that had been done sarcastically  or to highlight my mistake on clarity. Had it been pointed out that it was difficult for some people to read then I would have understood the reasoning and attempted to rectify the post. I hope this has cleared the matter up.

I'm sorry you think I'm acting that way, it wasn't intentional. But when the first reply is "and in paragraphs" without explanation or indeed any reference to the content of the post it does lead to ambiguity. Then you took the trouble to re-format the post I was not sure if that had been done sarcastically or to highlight my mistake on clarity. Had it been pointed out that it was difficult for some people to read then I would have understood the reasoning and attempted to rectify the post. I hope this has cleared the matter up.

In paragraphs?

I'm sorry you think I'm acting that way, it wasn't intentional. But when the first reply is "and in paragraphs" without explanation or indeed any reference to the content of the post it does lead to ambiguity. Then you took the trouble to re-format the post I was not sure if that had been done sarcastically  or to highlight my mistake on clarity. Had it been pointed out that it was difficult for some people to read then I would have understood the reasoning and attempted to rectify the post. I hope this has cleared the matter up.

Don't take it personally. If there is any ambiguity on this forum I take it lightheartedly and assume the best or else I'd end up thinking everyone was a complete douche.

You need a first class diplomat with links to Mi6 if you want to be scouting overseas, and a lot of money to grease the cogs as it were. To get 'in' with clubs across the continent and beyond is practically impossible, all the best clubs that have the best player have a tonne of scouts and agents and fathers and businesses who all want paying first, just to get a shot at talking to them, that's why agents are a necessary evil.

For instance, If you turn up to a youth game in Italy, Palermo say, and start trying to tap up the talent well you better be able to run very fast, have SAS training, have a lot of money to pay off the mafia, or just take your beating like a man.

And try that in South or central America, you could wind up dead.

I've thought this for a long time. I think quality players in the Danish league and other leagues in Scandinavia and maybe Eastern European countries, would be good enough for the chamionship.

Depending on which type of player is bought. I think generally the smaller, technical player struggles to adapt most. But someone with pace and power would surely more likely adapt to the style in this country. That's why I think kodjia will do well.

And then there is the African market. Of course all this costs money, but I believe would save the club money in the long run.

Buying gayle would be a great signing, but unless we invest millions on a few more signings, then gayle on his own would be the wrong option. We need a depth of good players rather than one quality player.

Scouting as we know it traditionally, has changed in many ways.

Many Clubs buy into companies that provide player analysis and details.

Now emerging as a key component to a teams player scouting, objective performance data can provide valuable insights to a players ability to compliment traditional scouting. By understanding every facet of a players technical qualities these companies aim to ultimately lower the risk in player acquisition.

They allow Clubs to explore and compare player database . Many players in many leagues are covered and can be compared with your own clubs players or other targets .

It's possible to define which statistics are important to you per playing position and create customised player profile. Users can then easily unearth which players in various leagues fit with the objective technical qualities you are looking for.

Therefore it is possible to create a detailed profile of every player before sending a scout to carry out the final subjective assessment.  

Basically, you employ analysts to understand this data....the manager and football director gives the info to the analyst as to the type of player they want for the team.

The analyst looks at all the data....gives his findings back, and then they send a Scout out to watch.

This is how many Clubs work....Southampton do this right down to the age of 4. It's that detailed.

It doesn't have to cost a fortune.

scouts_zpsuywd6ige.jpg

At the last meeting of European Scouts in June, Bristol City wasnt mentioned once so personally I think it could be a bad idea. However if the club wanted a resident scout in the South of France or Spain I could dig out my woggle and move down there

Archived