IGNORED

The Official Champions V Brentford Match Day Thread

Sounds like you've the nucleus of a decent team there, despite the reservations you mentioned earlier.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Thanks. I don't think we'll do as well as last year but I like what our owner is doing. Everyone outside the club is slating Benham but us bees fans are right behind him. We've made a lot of new signings though and they need time to gel. I would be happy with finishing in the top half this season 

Captain Hindsight.

As I was commenting on what has happened in the last few months you are correct of course. But if we're talking foresight I'm not sure anybody foresaw those events. The professional way things have been run by SC and KB would have led us to expect a rather smoother transition I think, if not some of the more wildly optimistic predictions. The way things have panned out so far is certainly a big surprise to me and I imagine to many. I wouldn't care to predict what happens next though. ;)

1: yeah most of them have appeared recently. I know a fgr fan who used to go home and away in the days of the old lawn and he doesnt bother anymore because the club is unrecognisable from what it once was. Once they move to the new stadium on a motorway junction miles from their spiritual home that will complete their plastification.

2. Fair enough, didn't know they were that old.

3. Rubbish. Most clubs live within their means and many just manage to scrape by.

Thanks for your polite suggestion that I watch the downs league but I'm quite happy with following bcfc thankyou.

1. The point is you said they have 'no fans' . I am not arguing how many they have. They have fans, end of.

2. nothing to add here.

3. I think you will find most clubs do NOT live within their means, certainly outside the Prem that is the case.

I think you made a slight against a proud club and its thousands of followers. I think my remark was somewhat justified.

Just come out and say you don't like the club and people will respect that instead of wrapping it up with nonsense.

Anybody lost Player? Just croaked it when one of the usual city fans came on.

Player is no better than last season; such drivel we have to put up with. I just hope City get some of the cash I give them for putting up with it; cushions the blow of a bad value purchase!

Same here , came back when i refreshed the page , have we missed Cotts interview ?

Nice to have some 80's music : 0

Edited by Major Isewater

Same here , came back when i refreshed the page , have we missed Cotts interview ?

Mine came back with a pre match interview of the Gas match.. utterly useless !!

As for Cotts interview.. i am sure I have missed it by now.

Still got nothing on Player.

Terry Pounder interview keeps coming back.. that was pre match.. i give up with this 5hit.

Edited by havanatopia

Just been on RB and again very short with the interviewer.  I know he is a bad loser, but he really needs to be polite with the interviewers.

Edited by EstoniaTallinnRed

1. The point is you said they have 'no fans' . I am not arguing how many they have. They have fans, end of.

2. nothing to add here.

3. I think you will find most clubs do NOT live within their means, certainly outside the Prem that is the case.

I think you made a slight against a proud club and its thousands of followers. I think my remark was somewhat justified.

Just come out and say you don't like the club and people will respect that instead of wrapping it up with nonsense.

I dislike FGR because I think they are a soulless hobby club with a rich benefactor who is throwing silly money at them to get into the football league. I dislike this side of modern football, as do countless others. Deal with it and learn to accept other people opinions without an air of superiority and smarminess. cheers.

Just been on RB and again very short with the interviewer.  I know he is a bad loser, but he really needs to be polite with the interviewers.

Quite agree. He comes across like a petulant and rather unpleasant man sometimes. Interviewer was only trying to do his job, and Cotterill's behaviour was uncalled for. Man strikes me as a bit of a prat sometimes. We know he is a good manager when things are going for him, but can he come when the odds are not in his favour? I wonder...

I dislike FGR because I think they are a soulless hobby club with a rich benefactor who is throwing silly money at them to get into the football league. I dislike this side of modern football, as do countless others. Deal with it and learn to accept other people opinions without an air of superiority and smarminess. cheers.

This is more like it.

The rest is childish.

Quite agree. He comes across like a petulant and rather unpleasant man sometimes. Interviewer was only trying to do his job, and Cotterill's behaviour was uncalled for. Man strikes me as a bit of a prat sometimes. We know he is a good manager when things are going for him, but can he come when the odds are not in his favour? I wonder...

I've heard reliably that Cotts relationship with SL is a fragile one, if we are not doing so well after 10 games then who knows if he will still be here. To be fair to the guy he just hates losing, which is a great quality to have; he doesn't need to take it out on the interviewers however.

As for today I thought Freemans sending off was one of those that I thought could be given, it was obvious he was gonna go with how long the ref took, it was a shame because we were playing really well. I am a massive fan of Williams but I think he was our weak link today, we need a quality CB and MF, as well as a decent striker to partner Kodja. Who looked class today imo, great touch, some of his finishing needs to be worked on but you can see there is something about him. Wilbs is really not up to much at this level, im sure hes great to have around the dressing room but not as our talisman in this division.

A CB, centre mid and striker needed and were not too far off!

I've heard reliably that Cotts relationship with SL is a fragile one, if we are not doing so well after 10 games then who knows if he will still be here. To be fair to the guy he just hates losing, which is a great quality to have; he doesn't need to take it out on the interviewers however.

This, at least to me, is a revelation and a worrying remark if true. 

Best left without further discussion as it might open a barrage of abuse in your direction. I am going to quietly forget you said it.

Thought the tactic of filling hole left by freeman with wilbs just invited them on to us and cost a result...wen we had mudfield closing them down they were all over the place so seemed logic to me to go one up top and bring on another mid....

Myself wud av swopped burns for wilbs at ht then stuck jb in freeman role with burns wide in jb role....easy to say i kno..with hindsight and all that..but i honestly think it was our response to going a man down that cost us rather than actually being a man less..sc moaned on rb about not having enuf squad to be able to rest players...my reply is stop chasing 6m players who dont want to kno then and get back up and cover in....

changing the subject..can elliot play wed?...dont like the idea of Reid in the middle against dirty Leeds at all...

In summary:

We were fantastic in the first 30 minutes and could have been four up. Freeman's card whether deserved or not (couldn't see from the Dolman) completely changed the game. This was compounded by the two first half goals that we conceded which were weak and could have been avoided.

Kodjia's performance was a positive. Should have kept him on for longer as looked good on the break when we were down to 10 men.

There are absolutely weaknesses there. However, today should be written off and let's use Wednesday to gauge exactly where we are - I certainly think if we can play like we did in the first 30 mins it may not be as bad as today's score could indicate.

At last we had a consistent ref at Ashton Gate

Absolute shite, but consistent

True!

Changing the subject..can elliot play wed?...dont like the idea of Reid in the middle against dirty Leeds at all...

Was never a massive fan of Wade, but I must admit I want him back in the side badly. It's surely going to be discussed at some stage I would imagine. Probably 5pm on Tuesday when our latest attempt to sign someone falls through.

In summary:

We were fantastic in the first 30 minutes and could have been four up. Freeman's card whether deserved or not (couldn't see from the Dolman) completely changed the game. This was compounded by the two first half goals that we conceded which were weak and could have been avoided.

Kodjia's performance was a positive. Should have kept him on for longer as looked good on the break when we were down to 10 men.

There are absolutely weaknesses there. However, today should be written off and let's use Wednesday to gauge exactly where we are - I certainly think if we can play like we did in the first 30 mins it may not be as bad as today's score could indicate.

True.

Far more optimism to take from that game.

I think we're going to see us play right on the front foot this season and in the championship occasionally days like this will happen.

Based on that we'll give Leeds a game though and but for a bit of naivety we nearly gave them a scrap.

No need to lament any of our players as not up to it. Today they matched them man to man.

Brentford were a massive disappointment. Pass for the sake of it with no purpose, play acting, cheating and tempo killing. Won't be in a hurry to watch them on the box. Looks like the new manager is going to rub out all of Warburton's good work cus these guys could teach Swindon more than a thing or two.

Edited by Guest

Early days for sure but having seen the first 3 games I'm going to have to revise my belief that most of our squad could do a job in this league. Pack, Freeman and Smith are simply not up to it (which, in the case of the latter two, I never thought I'd say.) They, as in other areas of the squad, are simply being out-muscled and out-paced by some fairly average opponents. We urgently need centre mid muscle akin the French No 20 yesterday who quietly and destructively stole the show. Save for Preston last year no side regularly put more than 4 opponents in our half, yesterday Brentford camped at least 9 all game long and we simply had forgotten how to handle. Kodjia, though one footed, does most things right and is getting on the end of things - he desperately needs someone to play alongside and the armband on Wilb's arm is a massive threat to our survival chances. We need fearless Frank back quickly as though Hamer may be 'one of our own' he's done little to endear himself. Cott's needs to work out his instructions to the likes of Fredericks (it seemed to me he had him holding the centre ground) which meant he gave Ayling no cover at the back (hence big holes) and precious little outlet going forward. The kid I think has more to offer if able to play a more expansive game, but for the next few weeks I'd be looking to shore up with Little. Bryan needs to forget the MoM plaudits and deliver for 90 what he threatened to do in the first 20. Yet another non-existent 2nd half. Without the immediate acquisition of a centre half, centre mid and striker I think within 3 weeks we could already be out of it (that's not being doom laden, rather unless we get Leeds on a bad day we could be looking at 5 straight defeats.)

In summary:

Condensed Version:

Actual Summary.

We lost

Thought the tactic of filling hole left by freeman with wilbs just invited them on to us and cost a result...wen we had mudfield closing them down they were all over the place so seemed logic to me to go one up top and bring on another mid....

Myself wud av swopped burns for wilbs at ht then stuck jb in freeman role with burns wide in jb role....easy to say i kno..with hindsight and all that..but i honestly think it was our response to going a man down that cost us rather than actually being a man less..sc moaned on rb about not having enuf squad to be able to rest players...my reply is stop chasing 6m players who dont want to kno then and get back up and cover in....

changing the subject..can elliot play wed?...dont like the idea of Reid in the middle against dirty Leeds at all...

:blink: