IGNORED

Your Season Expectations

B-Rizzle

So, with pre-season, the first couple of games and a large chunk of the transfer window now gone, what are your expectations and hopes for our season? Have they changed since the 1st of July or stayed the same?

I think for me, my expectations have lowered a bit. Summer recruitment hasn't been as successful as we'd have liked. Whether this is the reality of being a small fish in a big pond or getting our strategy wrong, I don't know. Either way we haven't acquired players to strengthen us and we aren't really any stronger than last season.

I would, however, much rather lower my expectations for a season to make sure we don't rush into any signings which aren't right for us than panic buy now over the next two weeks on players that will hinder us long term. I hope we make one or two positive additions in the next couple of weeks and then we can go again in January and plan for a better summer recruitment in a years time. I'm just anxious that we could undo all of last seasons hard work with some panic buying!

Exactly what I expected before the first game of the season. Top 10.

We created against Sheffield Wednesday and we didn't look out of place one bit. We just lacked in the final 3rd. Luton, do you think SC really wanted to be in that competition with the squad size we've got? No surprise we lost that. Brentford, we dominated until the sending off.

I fully expect us to have a good season. OTIB is literally a bipolar breeding ground, but I don't feel like there is any reason to panic. Maybe my view might change after the transfer window closes.

Just before the start of the season I was hoping and expecting a top half finish but not the top 6.

I am not changing that opinion yet, I thought we looked far better than Brentford up until the sending off and we still have a couple of weeks to make some new signings. 

I think it's important to get something out of the Leeds game though, psychologically losing 3 league games in a row could have a damaging impact on player confidence.

Saw the new Man City south stand today, what a beast! I guess Ashton Gate will look as impressive to teams in League 1 and 2 and a fair few Championship clubs, but the top clubs in the country are on another level

I am guessing of course but I think the new prize money package, what i believe is a 3 fold increase on the current one ending this season, will resoundingly change the paradigm. fairly sure I said this before..

I suspect many Prem teams and indeed some heading for it in their heads are planning stadium upgrades. The money is now resoundingly there for all 20 clubs to do it.

I do see the playing field being more level amongst the 20 elite in the next 5-10 years than it is today while, at the same time, the gulf between the Prem and the Championship widening substantially. The only way the latter will draw closer is if we have Prem 1 and Prem 2 with a better trickle down to level 3 and 4 and so on.

When I was asked the same question pre-season, I said the only thing I was SURE about was that we wouldn't get relegated, after that I honestly have no clue where we will finish this season.

That still stands, players adjusting to this league, the better team on Saturday until the red card, Ashton Gate under the lights on Wednesday night, lets smash our first points of the season on the board and give everyone a lift.

COYR

Having seen the Wednesday game and heard reports of the Brentford game, I don't think we're a million miles from being a match for anyone in this division. We were the better side in the first half against Wednesday and it seems we were until the sending off against Brentford. Defensive fragility is a concern, as is the paper thin squad, but I still believe we'll make some quality additions before 2nd Sept (even if they're a month later than expected) and we'll get stronger as the season progresses

Mid-table obscurity awaits, which sounds good to me

My expectations have been moderated down from a top half finish to relatively comfortable survival, but no more.

Probably the most disappointing aspect has been the loss of momentum. We finished last season so strongly and I had hoped that would continue into the new campaign. With our struggle to recruit and three consecutive defeats, it feels like we have lost that momentum now. That's not to say that we don't still have a decent squad capable of competing at this level - I still believe we do.

I think that whatever you hope might happen, the first priority for any newly promoted team has to be survival/consolidation.

It was always going to be a tough August and I just hope that we can get a few points on the board before the month is out, otherwise it's an uphill struggle for the rest of the season as confidence drains.

Even a couple of draws will give us some belief. I'm sure we will be fine, but the longer it takes to get up and running, the harder it becomes.

Originally thought upper mid table, around 10th-12th, and I'm sticking by that. Performance against Brentford before the sending off convinced me this team can compete at this level. Of course, we need to get off the mark soon, lose the next few and confidence will drop, then things can spiral pretty quickly. But as long as we do that we'll be fine in my opinion

Battle against relegation, we seem to be back to struggling with defending, 9 goals shipped in 3 games, players looking frustrated at times, all rings bells of when we struggled in the Championship before. I'd probably have a little more optimism if our transfers were being met but it seems like for every player we bring in we miss out on a better one.

I guess until the transfer window closes we won't have a great idea of where we stand but based on decision making and performance so far I can  see us being in the bottom 10

i dont think we'll have a stressy end of season but anywhere between 16th and 12 would be good in my book. kodge and wilbs near 15 goals each.bryan with 10 or more. i think flinty will get a few but nothing like last season, and agard might be a bench warmer with wes getting picked before him if he can kick on.(unless wilbs get hurt of course).  would love to see matt smith back but cant see it happening and if the bradshaw rumour fruits,then i'll be pleased we didnt waste xx millions on gayle who i personally dont think would have bothered too much thinking he was too good for us

Archived