IGNORED

Do You Want Us To Sign Andre Gray?

B-Rizzle

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why is everyone so precious and emotional about players not wanting to join? Do you not realise that the only people who think of Bristol City as a big club are Bristol City fans?

Not being emotional mate. Assuming the player has had a look at the City, both the Town as well as the Club, then in my book he can't be very bright/very imaginative if he can't see the advantages of working and living here over Hull.

I have been to Hull.

Not being emotional mate. Assuming the player has had a look at the City, both the Town as well as the Club, then in my book he can't be very bright/very imaginative if he can't see the advantages of working and living here over Hull.

I have been to Hull.

What is with this ridiculous notion that players give two shits about the area. They don't live in city centre slums mate.

Id be amazed if the city of Bristol even makes up 1% of the decision as to whether a player joins or not.

It's all about money and if we offer 15k and Hull offer 25k, guess what? He'll go to hull.

I have been to Hull.

He used to play for Luton, Shrewsbury and Hinckley in Leicestershire. I'd say playing football is more important to this lad than where he lives wouldn't you?

If you were a pro player it would be a huge ask to pick Bristol City over Hull City at this moment in time. I don't think it is necessarily incompetence if we have been unable to do that.

As it happens I think it is a blessing in disguise and I can't say I am particularly disappointed*. At that fee level I did not believe it would work out; for us or for him. I think the fee would've been too big around his neck and too big around ours considering how significant a sum it is for Bristol City to be spending - not necessarily due to financial constraints. I think expectations would naturally have been very high and we don't even know if this lad is particularly adaptable yet. It worked for Brentford, but Brentford buy specific players to play specific roles in their specific set up.

What is with this ridiculous notion that players give two shits about the area. They don't live in city centre slums mate.

Id be amazed if the city of Bristol even makes up 1% of the decision as to whether a player joins or not.

It's all about money and if we offer 15k and Hull offer 25k, guess what? He'll go to hull.

How do you know that mate?

It's obviously not just about the money. It's the whole set up around a Club. And if players have a family, and lots of them do have kids when they are in their mid-twenties, the home environment is very important. Also what do you imagine players do in between training and playing?

Unless things change dramatically Bristol will never be at the centre of a concentration of Football league clubs as eg. Lancashire is. Professional footballers know it's possible to have a lengthy career playing in every league from Premiership to non-league without moving out of that County (20 - 30 Clubs+?) and without having to move home.

So why not look at every angle that would make Bristol City an attractive option to a Player. I'd argue the Club HAS to do this for us to win and retain Premiership status.

He used to play for Luton, Shrewsbury and Hinckley in Leicestershire. I'd say playing football is more important to this lad than where he lives wouldn't you?

If you were a pro player it would be a huge ask to pick Bristol City over Hull City at this moment in time. I don't think it is necessarily incompetence if we have been unable to do that.

As it happens I think it is a blessing in disguise and I can't say I am particularly disappointed*. At that fee level I did not believe it would work out; for us or for him. I think the fee would've been too big around his neck and too big around ours considering how significant a sum it is for Bristol City to be spending - not necessarily due to financial constraints. I think expectations would naturally have been very high and we don't even know if this lad is particularly adaptable yet. It worked for Brentford, but Brentford buy specific players to play specific roles in their specific set up.

Isn't that what we were supposed to be doing?...

As it happens I think it is a blessing in disguise and I can't say I am particularly disappointed*. At that fee level I did not believe it would work out; for us or for him. I think the fee would've been too big around his neck and too big around ours considering how significant a sum it is for Bristol City to be spending - not necessarily due to financial constraints. I think expectations would naturally have been very high and we don't even know if this lad is particularly adaptable yet. It worked for Brentford, but Brentford buy specific players to play specific roles in their specific set up.

Exactly right.

Footballers' mansions are hardly noted for their style and elegance (anyone else had a good laugh at the crass-fest of Raheem Sterling's old pad in today's papers?) and anywhere - even in Humberside - there will be posh little villages where they can buy some red brick monstrosity and bling it up.

So with players it's not location, location, location. It's dosh and future career prospects.

Gray thinks Hull might offer him a shot at the PL whereas we'd be more of a punt. They will also be able to pay higher wages than us.

Time to move on and forget the guy. He can break a leg now for all I care.

How do you know that mate?

It's obviously not just about the money. It's the whole set up around a Club. And if players have a family, and lots of them do have kids when they are in their mid-twenties, the home environment is very important. Also what do you imagine players do in between training and playing?

Unless things change dramatically Bristol will never be at the centre of a concentration of Football league clubs as eg. Lancashire is. Professional footballers know it's possible to have a lengthy career playing in every league from Premiership to non-league without moving out of that County (20 - 30 Clubs+?) and without having to move home.

So why not look at every angle that would make Bristol City an attractive option to a Player. I'd argue the Club HAS to do this for us to win and retain Premiership status.

The thing is, the football industry is completely different to normal life. If I was changing jobs I'd very much consider the area I was moving to and I'm not saying footballers don't do this, I'm sure they do (especially those with families) but there is also a massive culture of commuting. Many footballers still have their roots where 'home' is and maybe rent a place near their club but actually spend a lot of time travelling home. Others commute huge distances every day. It might seems bonkers to me and you but they do it! Another factor is that being a footballer is a short career and many players have short contracts at clubs. They accept that they are going to spend 10-15 years moving from place to place. Jon Stead for example moved lots but always had his roots back up north in Huddersfield. He was building a home up there because presumably he knew he and his family would always settle there when his career was over. He knew that his time in Ipswich would be temporary and here etc but was willing to move his career where it went in order to progress but also provide for his family and for their future.

Football fans are deluded with the romance of playing for their home club. Very few pros really think like that. Everyone's made a big deal about Hamer being a City fan but the reality is he used to come a bit as a kid and probably has a bit if a soft spot for us but he wouldn't think twice about leaving (if we owned him permanently) to progress his career.

Yes Bristol is nicer than Hull but I'm sure there are nice areas where the players live/rent and spend some of their time. At the end of the day it's about progressing his career and joining Hull is a better career move than Bristol City at this moment in time.

Didn't Danny Wilson live in Chesterfield and commute to Bristol when he was our manager? Joe Jordan lives in Bristol but worked for years in Portsmouth and London with 'arry. I'm sure he had bolt holes where he was working but also travelled a lot. I couldn't do it. Up in the football industry they do!

Archived