IGNORED

The Official Middlesbrough V Champions Match Day Thread

Middlesbrough; hard to believe it has a population of 175,000 with over 376,000 in the Teeside area taking in Redcar. Even more hard to believe that in 1820 there were fewer than 40 souls in the place. Then came the tracks, then came the trains carrying their dirty ole' coal, then came the churches and then came the port. And then came the people and by 1840 it was 5,000 and then came the blast furnaces and it never looked back..streets, gas lamps and trams, it was a dandy place for the industrial working class with the dance halls and walks of a weekend on Roseberry Topping. What a wonderful name for a hill, sounds like dessert is about to be served.

But then the coal shut down and Middlesborough became a shadow of its former self, a Salford of the North East and a post industrial Teeside was not a particularly nice place to be. Those years have passed and there exists today a slightly better and regenerated Teeside. Interesting to note though that the population has actually fallen by 20,000 in the last 20 years. It's a common tale of urban decay: unemployment is still high and often long-term; much of the workforce is employed in vulnerable sectors; educational achievement and life expectancy are low; and more than two thirds of council wards are classed as deprived. However its not all bad; what Middlesbrough really has going for it is not a snazzy town centre, but an industrial heritage that has produced a technology and skills base that continues to attract investment.

And like most of Britain its a fine ole' landscape outside these industrial heartlands. Roseberry Topping being one that features strongly in the identity of the Teeside people and has been a place of pilgrimage for centuries. At just over a thousand feet high you have panoramic views of the Vale of Cleveland to distant towns of the Tees Valley. Its grand from up there.. George Tweddle wrote that he had sat on the Topping with many a Bard... and where the loved landscape here unfurled to view, where the picture is ever new, the watchet ocean, we may roam far and wide before we see a finer sight than here from Rosebury. he wrote that in 1870.

The view from there today toward the ocean would of course take in the Riverside Stadium. One of the first to be built following the Taylor Report. Long gone is Ayresome Park in the middle of town where I visited many years ago; a decrepit ground if ever there was one but loved by all those Teesiders I will wager. 

One lower position than City is the highest Boro have ever finished; 3rd in 1915. Only 2 seasons have been spent outside the top two divisions mind, quite a record. In 1986 they almost folded and from whence Steve Gibson and his consortium came along and the rest, is history. Relegated in 1997 for failing to fulfill a fixture against Blackburn they bounced back the following season and spent 11 years in the top flight before succumbing again to relegation in 2009 where they remain of course. Although they did win the League Cup in 2004 their only major trophy. 

After a poor run of 2 wins in 12 Tony Mowbray left the club ushering in a new 'Spanish' era with Aitor Karanka de la Hoz being appointed in 2013. Previously assistant to Jose M at Real he comes with some relative pedigree and not a little expectation. Last season was a near miss for Boro so lets see if his close season signings will take them a step closer this term.

Today they must get past City! I think our resolve will have been greatly assisted by our come back on Tuesday night against a rather petulant Leeds side. Yet the niggling failure to bolster our squad perhaps will play on the minds of all. I still feel we have enough in the locker to avoid defeat today and we may even come away with a surprise win. 1-1 or 0-1 to City. I am allowed two choices!

UTC

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 14

Middlesbrough; hard to believe it has a population of 175,000 with over 376,000 in the Teeside area taking in Redcar. Even more hard to believe that in 1820 there were fewer than 40 souls in the place. Then came the tracks, then came the trains carrying their dirty ole' coal, then came the churches and then came the port. And then came the people and by 1840 it was 5,000 and then came the blast furnaces and it never looked back..streets, gas lamps and trams, it was a dandy place for the industrial working class with the dance halls and walks of a weekend on Roseberry Topping. What a wonderful name for a hill, sounds like dessert is about to be served.

But then the coal shut down and Middlesborough became a shadow of its former self, a Salford of the North East and a post industrial Teeside was not a particularly nice place to be. Those years have passed and there exists today a slightly better and regenerated Teeside. Interesting to note though that the population has actually fallen by 20,000 in the last 20 years. It's a common tale of urban decay: unemployment is still high and often long-term; much of the workforce is employed in vulnerable sectors; educational achievement and life expectancy are low; and more than two thirds of council wards are classed as deprived. However its not all bad; what Middlesbrough really has going for it is not a snazzy town centre, but an industrial heritage that has produced a technology and skills base that continues to attract investment.

And like most of Britain its a fine ole' landscape outside these industrial heartlands. Roseberry Topping being one that features strongly in the identity of the Teeside people and has been a place of pilgrimage for centuries. At just over a thousand feet high you have panoramic views of the Vale of Cleveland to distant towns of the Tees Valley. Its grand from up there.. George Tweddle wrote that he had sat on the Topping with many a Bard... and where the loved landscape here unfurled to view, where the picture is ever new, the watchet ocean, we may roam far and wide before we see a finer sight than here from Rosebury. he wrote that in 1870.

The view from there today toward the ocean would of course take in the Riverside Stadium. One of the first to be built following the Taylor Report. Long gone is Ayresome Park in the middle of town where I visited many years ago; a decrepit ground if ever there was one but loved by all those Teesiders I will wager. 

One lower position than City is the highest Boro have ever finished; 3rd in 1915. Only 2 seasons have been spent outside the top two divisions mind, quite a record. In 1986 they almost folded and from whence Steve Gibson and his consortium came along and the rest, is history. Relegated in 1997 for failing to fulfill a fixture against Blackburn they bounced back the following season and spent 11 years in the top flight before succumbing again to relegation in 2009 where they remain of course. Although they did win the League Cup in 2004 their only major trophy. 

After a poor run of 2 wins in 12 Tony Mowbray left the club ushering in a new 'Spanish' era with Aitor Karanka de la Hoz being appointed in 2013. Previously assistant to Jose M at Real he comes with some relative pedigree and not a little expectation. Last season was a near miss for Boro so lets see if his close season signings will take them a step closer this term.

Today they must get past City! I think our resolve will have been greatly assisted by our come back on Tuesday night against a rather petulant Leeds side. Yet the niggling failure to bolster our squad perhaps will play on the minds of all. I still feel we have enough in the locker to avoid defeat today and we may even come away with a surprise win. 1-1 or 0-1 to City. I am allowed two choices!

UTC

Condensed Version:

MIDDLESBROUGH

Cold shithole in NE

• Like 6

I have a problem.

I'm at a wedding at 12 and after there ceremony there's a 90 minute free drinks window.

I'm not sure what sort of state I'll be in come 3pm... But we'll see.

Middlesbrough are the big boys of this league and honestly I'd be happy for us to come out of it having given a good account of ourselves. There aren't many teams who will take points off Boro at home this season.

Safe journey to all those travelling up, please give AA the reception he deserves.

I think we'll lose. 3-1.

Havanatopia I really do love your thread openings. Fair play to you bit of research done there. Love the fact you mention Roseberry Topping been up that Bugger a few times.

Anyway....er were probably gonna lose...but gritty draw 1-1 and my Saturday evening cider will go down sweet. A win and I might even have a kebab :)

Edited by Cotham Brow Red
  • Like 1

My wife's family are from Teeside, unfortunately I'm going on holiday today, otherwise I'd have insisted we visit them this weekend for the first time ever :-( luckily they're more into rugby so the grief will be minimal at the next family gathering if we lose

As has been pointed out, Middlesborough is an utter toilet, but the surrounding towns and countryside are actually quite nice. WE SHOULD BURN IT ALL THE GROUND AS WE PILLAGE 3 POINTS FROM THE 'SMOGGIES'!

We seem to have got better with each game this far, but this seems to be a step up again. If we play our best, i.e. sort out the defence, I think we can cause them problems. Realistically I think it'll be 3-1 or 2-0 to the 'Boro

Please keep me updated, I'll be in Kent en route a France at kick off. Bon voyage, tout bien vacance and all that

Great work havanatopia as per usual.

Would've loved to have gone to this today as I do a lot of work for a company based in Stockton and they are all big Boro fans. Alas, I have been roped into going on a day out with my Mrs' work. On the plus side, it's a cider tasting tour of Westons brewery and the two owners are big City fans so hoping to listen to the match somewhere.

Think it will be 2-0 to Boro but hoping we can surprise people and get a good result.

• Like 1

We will be there today as my Daughter Amie (8 years old) will be our away mascot for the club in her new away junior kit. We live in Darlington unfortunately, so would like to put one over all the Smoggies  who I work with. Have a safe journey to all fellow reds who are travelling and hope we give a good account of ourselves.

Going for a 2-1 win for the lads

up the City     :city: 

Speaking to the locals in the pub last night. They are impressed we've sold over 300 tickets (although personally im not surprised).

They are all very confident of a win but reckon we can get a mid table finish.

My housemate is a Boro fan so today all friendships are on pause. Today is solely about bragging rights for the next 5 months.

Looking forward to the game, just hope we can keep Albert, Kike and Stuani quiet. Fortunately it seems like Jonathan Woodgate may start though, I live in hope.

UTC

Good as always Havana, although you might want to get some tips from Tone about editing :)

• Like 1

Speaking to the locals in the pub last night. They are impressed we've sold over 300 tickets (although personally im not surprised).

They are all very confident of a win but reckon we can get a mid table finish.

My housemate is a Boro fan so today all friendships are on pause. Today is solely about bragging rights for the next 5 months.

Looking forward to the game, just hope we can keep Albert, Kike and Stuani quiet. Fortunately it seems like Jonathan Woodgate may start though, I live in hope.

Woodgate is still around?

Great read as per usual Havanatopia keep it up.

Not to forget BigTone keep them coming.

I'm reckoning a 2-1 to them hoping we can get a 0-1 win keeping a much needed clean sheet with a commanding defensive display for our confidence.

Hope all have a safe journey and come back smiling or at least not miserable. COYR's!

• Like 1