IGNORED

Concerned By Sc Interview

formerly known as ivan

He might not be looked at if he was still at Bradford. Rightly or wrongly, the club seem to want a player who has been there and done that at Championship level, but still has potential to improve.

We haven't yet been linked with League One players with any real conviction, so yes, if Wells was still at Bradford he may not be looked at.

However, he's at Huddersfield and has a couple of years of Championship experience under his belt which seems to be what we want.

Quite so but it seems odd that the underlying assumption seems to be that no player lower than the Championship could be good enough, which is why I referenced Wilson. Would we for instance be interested in Flint if he was stiil playing for a League 1 club? Or, more topically, Albert if he was still at Barnet? Presumably not.

I don't understand why we would choose the limit the size of the pool we fish in, and compete for players we know are likely to reject us even if we meet their wage demands, in favour of what they perceive to be bigger clubs. Indeed players who are likely to use us to stimulate interest from such clubs, as Gray seemed to do. I would expect more flexibility from SC and KB, especially the latter with his great knowledge.

I choose my words carefully though as we don't really know the strategy and may yet sign 3 League 1 players before the window closes!

This is the way I see it. BCFC/SC have been let down by what appears to be broken player/agent promises, have bid big money for 2 targets where presumably the player/agent and or the club has decided to leak it to the press (our club recently prides itself on not only secrecy over targets but also fees paid). in fact it's been a source of frustration with some fans.

So 9 days, 1 game + an international break before the transfer window closes, plenty of time for more signings permanent or loans.

I have to wonder who actually instigated the bids for Gayle and Grey, it would certainly account for the tantrums shown by Cotts at the time. It wouldn't be a first that a manager has taken a back seat on a bid for a player.

David James?

I have no inside knowledge of the workings of BCFC, but am totally sure that SC will have the major input on any incoming transfer dealings.

He is probably more pissed off because he, above everyone, realises that City have been used as a "Stalking horse" by the agents for Gray and maybe to a lesser extent of Gayle.

I like Cotterill as he is just like me. A wiziwig. He shows his feelings almost like a badge of honour. Smiling and jovial when he is content and happy. Moody and grumpy when he is not.

Just like me in the second half against Leeds before we managed to make a great recovery.

I have no inside knowledge of the workings of BCFC, but am totally sure that SC will have the major input on any incoming transfer dealings.

He is probably more pissed off because he, above everyone, realises that City have been used as a "Stalking horse" by the agents for Gray and maybe to a lesser extent of Gayle.

I like Cotterill as he is just like me. A wiziwig. He shows his feelings almost like a badge of honour. Smiling and jovial when he is content and happy. Moody and grumpy when he is not.

Just like me in the second half against Leeds before we managed to make a great recovery.

I agree. Totally devoid of smarm, unlike certain politicians I could name.

He`s like Scrappy Doo.

No that makes complete sense, we couldn't have afforded the wages, but if we were willing to page those type of wages we could have signed him.

So we can afford the wages Gray wanted...but SC didn't want to pay them. Read the whole sentences how they were spoken.

Exactly....I agree to that....but in his first sentence, he says 'We couldn't afford Grays wages'....that's where it contradicts.

We can either afford them or not.

SC said he decided he didn't want to match Grays....which suggests we could if we wanted to.

So both sentences contradict one another... We either Can't afford them...or we can. Which is it?

I think it's pretty clear; we have the resources to pay the wage Gray asked for, but it doesn't fit with what we want to pay him. That's how it works for me.

Think there is a little bit of over analysis taking place here; SC clearly doesn't enjoy/like talking transfers with the press, and when he does he tends to be guarded.

Personally, I've zero problem with this; tends to be when rumour emerge, things go off the rails, and when you look at the business we did keeping our cards close last year, I understand the reticence to speak on these matters openly.

I think it's pretty clear; we have the resources to pay the wage Gray asked for, but it doesn't fit with what we want to pay him. That's how it works for me.

Think there is a little bit of over analysis taking place here; SC clearly doesn't enjoy/like talking transfers with the press, and when he does he tends to be guarded.

Personally, I've zero problem with this; tends to be when rumour emerge, things go off the rails, and when you look at the business we did keeping our cards close last year, I understand the reticence to speak on these matters openly.

I agree....and he does allude to that. But he also says 'we couldn't afford him'....which alludes to us not being able to afford him whether we would have liked to or not.

But I agree...take everything he says with a pinch of salt...he's not a happy bunny with the situation. You'd think he'd be overjoyed with our performance at 'Boro...that doesn't come across at all after the game.

What Steve meant to say but clearly couldn't is that SL has been dealing with negotiations and simply wouldn't pay the wages despite them being consistent with what you would expect to pay for a 6m striker in the championship.

Unfortunately if you want those sort of players that have been and done it in Championship then you have to pay the going rate. If you are not prepared to pay those wages then best look elsewhere.

What Steve meant to say but clearly couldn't is that SL has been dealing with negotiations and simply wouldn't pay the wages despite them being consistent with what you would expect to pay for a 6m striker in the championship.

Unfortunately if you want those sort of players that have been and done it in Championship then you have to pay the going rate. If you are not prepared to pay those wages then best look elsewhere.

Agree with your sentiments...but I really hope you don't think SL does the negotiating :blink:  ;)

This seems to be a fundamental point. Indeed I can't believe SL could fail to see it, it's so obvious. By and large the bigger the fee the bigger the wages I would think. So it's all or nothing.

This seems to be a fundamental point. Indeed I can't believe SL could fail to see it, it's so obvious. By and large the bigger the fee the bigger the wages I would think. So it's all or nothing.

For what it's worth I would rather have spent the transfer money on other areas of the team where the wages wouldn't have been such a problem. Going after Gayle / Grey was great, but only if you are prepared to use up a big proportion of the wage budget, you can't seriously expect them to accept the salary on offer. At least now SL knows what salaries are being quoted and we will adjust our transfer policy accordingly.

Do people really expect him to say to the media we are close to signing 1-2 players? All that's going to do is get the media speculating. We try and do our business quietly which is a good move. Unfortunately as we have come to realise it's more difficult to keep the more expensive transfers quiet.

Archived