IGNORED

Bobby Reid Against Boro.

YorkshireSection

He did OK at Boro but did give the ball away on a number of occasions. Yes he had a good game, but let's not go overboard. As for MC Hamer, couple of good saves, but generally looked uncertain and flapped a lot.

Let's hope BR can kick on and become an important part of the squad, but don't expect too much too soon. Really not sure with Hamer, lots of mitigating circumstances, but he has not looked secure in any of his appearances to date.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic and keeping feet firmly on ground.

He did OK at Boro but did give the ball away on a number of occasions. Yes he had a good game, but let's not go overboard. As for MC Hamer, couple of good saves, but generally looked uncertain and flapped a lot.

Let's hope BR can kick on and become an important part of the squad, but don't expect too much too soon. Really not sure with Hamer, lots of mitigating circumstances, but he has not looked secure in any of his appearances to date.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic and keeping feet firmly on ground.

cant believe

what your saying about ben hamer

one of the best keeper performances for yonks

I was there

Our fans seem to get on Marlons back when he tries a cross field pass and it fails which of course isn't ideal but it really doesn't put us in much danger apart from losing possession. People should be praising his vision and confidence not boo him! With a bit more pace he would have enough tools to play in the Premiership in my opinion....(*puts tin hat on)

I agree playing Bobby next to Korey would leave us weak in the middle, shame really.

Not much danger - except the wing backs are caught upfield and teams have been breaking on us- other than that ....

'Keyboard Warrior'. :facepalm:

glad to see bobby reids doing well can only be a god thing for us at a time we need to be developing our own talent.

however he needs to prove he can be consistent on a regular basis but the only way he can do this is by playing games. I think the same side should start against burnley and if he and the team performs well again freeman should be on the bench when back from suspension and have to force his way in. no player should be guaranteed a start imo.

cant believe

what your saying about ben hamer

one of the best keeper performances for yonks

I was there

To be fair, Hamer did have a couple of shakey moments but nothing costly. Should have come off his line to claim an easy cross in the second half, but more than redeemed himself moments later with an outstanding save. No complaints from me.

As for Bobby, I recall he got caught in possession quite badly on one occasion, but apart from that I thought he was outstanding.

If we're now expecting nothing less than perfect ten performances from our rookie players, that might be a tad unrealistic! Shows how far we've come under SC though.

We obviously see things differently, I thought he looked shaky for most of the game, as you say, nothing costly, and made a couple of good saves. Hopefully, on Saturday he will perform well, I never mind being proved wrong if I under-rate a City player. Mind you, if he dropped it at a Boro players feet, I think they'd try and make about 20 passes before tapping it in!

We obviously see things differently, I thought he looked shaky for most of the game, as you say, nothing costly, and made a couple of good saves. Hopefully, on Saturday he will perform well, I never mind being proved wrong if I under-rate a City player. Mind you, if he dropped it at a Boro players feet, I think they'd try and make about 20 passes before tapping it in!

if he was shaky at boro then he should be playing for england

Before we get too carried away, let's remember that this is the same BR who stood out against Southampton away, under SoD.

I really hope he can find some consistency and it's not yet another false dawn for him.

This. He could be a great squad player and take some of the burden off Freeman, let's not once again ramp the pressure up on Bobby.

I think one of the problems Bobby (and Burns, and all young players) face is we see the examples of 18 or 19 year olds who break into first-teams and forget that 22 is still very young for a footballer.  Many footballers don't break into the first team regularly until 23 upwards and lots of players make massive leaps in ability at any point between 18 and 24.  But we see the examples that make it faster and it means players who've not made the leap so quickly can be written off.

For me, what both Reid and Burns have now done is earned the right to be considered part of the squad for the season.  They still need to get consistency and improve to get into the team regularly but I certainly think they've shown that there's two less players we need to get in this season than we might have thought at the beginning of August...

LB - I tend to disagree. If you haven't become a regular squad member (not necessarily playing every game) by 23, chances are you never will at that level. It is obviously not as black and white as that, but there aren't too many late developers who start to make an impact that late on. Ryan Mason us one that springs to mind but then I'm blank.

Would love to see BR buck that trend....but then again I can't see him playing regularly ahead of LF, and then is gonna be battling with Robinson depending on how attacking we want to play.

WB is different as he's only 20....but I'd go as far as saying if this time next year he isn't playing a bigger part than coming off the bench, then he may not make it. Having said that I think he has got the potential, but may struggle for minutes.

Perhaps some of the problem is the starting eleven (ish) is pretty settled. Some teams in the Championship will rotate more than SC, and the likes if WB and BR might start more in rotation at different clubs.

It would have to be a MOTM performance from Bobby of gargantuan proportions against Burnley to prevent Freeman reclaiming his place.

He may have played well on Saturday but he's reached the age where he needs to persuade Cotts. he can be consistently effective and play to a high standard every week.

He'll need to get his shooting boots on too, because it remains as erratic as ever.

Really encouraging performance from Bobby on Saturday though.

What a sweet 'dilemal'!

A lot of Goalkeeping is in the mind and I think you are right in that circumstances have not been ideal for Hamer to come in and show us what he can do. But talking from experience a less than convincing clean sheet with a couple of great saves thrown in might well be a turning point for the lad. I saw him play for Leicester at Hull last year where he kept a clean sheet and a friend of mine saw him play against Man Utd and we both agreed that we were getting a more than decent keeper at this level - which I think will be proven right in the end.

Archived