IGNORED

Do We Really Need This Burt ?

bcfcmike

I for one really don't think we do and its a waste of a salary !!

Any manager at this level worth his salt is surely able to negotiate with his chairman, why do we need this middle man?? I know at one point the club were trying to go down the continental route with the head coach thing, and DOF bringing in players etc. I just think its not something we need !! 

I'm sure Cotts has many many contacts within the game and would be able to do his own wealing and dealing, obviously within any budgets that SL sets, which is totally understandable, I don't think he will give any manager a free run with his money like he did with GJ and got totally burnt !!

Discuss ??

Yep, I think so.

I read Bobby Robson's auto biog, his last job at Barca was to go around the world attending all tournaments at all levels so that when the manager said I need a new player Sir Bob could give him 10 realistic targets for every position in the team.

Ok, we are obviously not at Barca's level but it's good to take recruitment pressures away from the manager and let someone else worry about who we should sign, so when the manager says 'I need a left back' the guy can say 'I've got just the person, leave it to me...'

Yep, I think so.

I read Bobby Robson's auto biog, his last job at Barca was to go around the world attending all tournaments at all levels so that when the manager said I need a new player Sir Bob could give him 10 realistic targets for every position in the team.

Ok, we are obviously not at Barca's level but it's good to take recruitment pressures away from the manager and let someone else worry about who we should sign, so when the manager says 'I need a left back' the guy can say 'I've got just the person, leave it to me...'

Yeah I agree to some degree, and what you say makes sense.

But I wonder if some of Cotts frustrations are the fact he is not involved as much as he would like ?? I don't know mind you !! 

Yeah I agree to some degree, and what you say makes sense.

But I wonder if some of Cotts frustrations are the fact he is not involved as much as he would like ?? I don't know mind you !!

Yeh I can see what you mean, some managers would feel uncomfortable at someone saying, 'you need a left back? Leave it to me!' They want to actually choose their own guy

Yeh I can see what you mean, some managers would feel uncomfortable at someone saying, 'you need a left back? Leave it to me!' They want to actually choose their own guy

I believe that isn't how Cotts and Burt work. They'll each have their targets and then they'll chat about the best ones and I'm sure Burt will collect all the complex stats and stuff before they talk again and draw up a shortlist together before Burt goes and gets them. 

It means Cotterill can spend more time managing the team and less time doing negotiations on the phone or going on prozone. 

At Spurs the DOF just went and got the players without asking but I'm fairly sure that isn't the case with us. Cotts and Burt seem fairly close and often scout together.

Yeah totally.

My post is not about having ago at Burt or even the job he has done for us, I just think strong willed managers like our very own Mr Cotterill like to manage the old fashioned way. Just my opinion on reading the type of manager Cotts comes across as. Which I personally don't think is a bad thing.

I believe that isn't how Cotts and Burt work. They'll each have their targets and then they'll chat about the best ones and I'm sure Burt will collect all the complex stats and stuff before they talk again and draw up a shortlist together before Burt goes and gets them. 

It means Cotterill can spend more time managing the team and less time doing negotiations on the phone or going on prozone. 

At Spurs the DOF just went and got the players without asking but I'm fairly sure that isn't the case with us. Cotts and Burt seem fairly close and often scout together.

Yeh you are probably right mate.

I only joined this thread to support why we need Burt, too much to expect a manager to handle everything relating to recruitment

I for one really don't think we do and its a waste of a salary !!

Any manager at this level worth his salt is surely able to negotiate with his chairman, why do we need this middle man?? I know at one point the club were trying to go down the continental route with the head coach thing, and DOF bringing in players etc. I just think its not something we need !!

I'm sure Cotts has many many contacts within the game and would be able to do his own wealing and dealing, obviously within any budgets that SL sets, which is totally understandable, I don't think he will give any manager a free run with his money like he did with GJ and got totally burnt !!

Discuss ??

outdated view in my opinion, Keith burt is worth his salary, if it keeps SC on the training pitch and away from agents etc. Gone are the days where everything went through the manger.no doubt its been a tough few months for kb , but he should be judged at end of season like the rest of the staff. Very early/easy to start pointing fingers. Just ask yourself 1 question... This time Las season were you asking do we need KB??

outdated view in my opinion, Keith burt is worth his salary, if it keeps SC on the training pitch and away from agents etc. Gone are the days where everything went through the manger.no doubt its been a tough few months for kb , but he should be judged at end of season like the rest of the staff. Very early/easy to start pointing fingers. Just ask yourself 1 question... This time Las season were you asking do we need KB??

To be fair I have been asking do we need him since the day he walked in the door!! And as I have said in a previous post its not about him personally or the job he has done so far of any season he has been here.

And I am certainly not pointing fingers at anyone!! As everyone of us on here knows that if we are bottom of the league come Feb it wont be KB that is on the next series of benefits Britain :)

To be fair I have been asking do we need him since the day he walked in the door!! And as I have said in a previous post its not about him personally or the job he has done so far of any season he has been here.

And I am certainly not pointing fingers at anyone!! As everyone of us on here knows that if we are bottom of the league come Feb it wont be KB that is on the next series of benefits Britain :)

think you are misguided to think that KB is on mega bucks!! Don't get me wrong hes more than likely on more than most of us , but a director of football these days is a must especially for a championship club. Also think he's done a good job so far. Lets hope he has a busy few days ahead!!

We were a relitivaly big fish in a small pond last year - recruitment was good but there was no reason why it shouldn't have been.

This is a new season and Burt and SC have well and truly been caught with their pants down with the recruitment and so far I have no confidence that Burt has the influence to get the type of player we need. If he did this would have all been sorted by July.

think you are misguided to think that KB is on mega bucks!! Don't get me wrong hes more than likely on more than most of us , but a director of football these days is a must especially for a championship club. Also think he's done a good job so far. Lets hope he has a busy few days ahead!!

Haha that's for sure, agree with that :)

My whole point is that we just seem to have a lot of middle men, at least in the times past it was just SL, sextoy and the manager involved. Now one would assume is goes from Cotts to KB then JL then KD and then SL.

We were a relitivaly big fish in a small pond last year - recruitment was good but there was no reason why it shouldn't have been.

This is a new season and Burt and SC have well and truly been caught with their pants down with the recruitment and so far I have no confidence that Burt has the influence to get the type of player we need. If he did this would have all been sorted by July.

we had been a really big fish in the pond for a few years untill SC and KB come in. Burt definitely deserves the time to get his work done before knife's are sharpened!! Hopefully a couple of permanent signing's and a few loans and this challenging few months would have been forgotten about!

He built a decent squad at Forest.

we had been a really big fish in the pond for a few years untill SC and KB come in. Burt definitely deserves the time to get his work done before knife's are sharpened!! Hopefully a couple of permanent signing's and a few loans and this challenging few months would have been forgotten about!

The work should have been done a long time ago, to get to the point of having to get our owner to write cheques for 9m is ridiculous.

We were up by March - everyone knew this. I just don't understand how we're in this position

His job is to get players in right? JK looks a good signing as were all the signings last season including those on loan. However we have made hardly any signings and let two decent players go this season. If we get 1-2 good permanent signings and use the loan market well there won't be an issue if not he or SC will take the blame as think we will struggle.

Archived