IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

The dastardly red

My opinion on the OP ... is perhaps.  He might have a good tournament in him.  I personally would say no, but it is possible.

The reasons I say no :

- At a very young age a very promising talent

- Loved by the media because he was from poor back ground.  So a real cinderella story for the press to milk

- Queue the obvious fall from grace stories.  Another staple for the media to milk

- He is NOT world class.  He may be currently the best English striker, but that is not the same thing

- One of his problems is his anger/petulance (call it what you will) this has cost him and his team numerous times

- He seems to have stagnated in recent seasons

- Always had a minor dislike of the guy cos of his less than athletic physique.   If you get paid 250k(or whatever) a week and you cant be bothered to shed a few pounds.  I'm sorry you have a fundamental problem

he might have 1 last swan song in him, but certainly not 100% certain

I think his peak is behind him

we had a chance at 2004, our best chance really

Neville, Terry, Campbell (sure Rio wasn't there but Sol was a beast anyway, what a back up!) Cole, Scholes (always played on the left which was a tragedy), Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney and Owen. We lacked a great winger, Joe Cole was half decent mind but that aside we were beastly 

vast majority were tap-ins against the likes of Latvia and San Marino.

Two against Brazil.

One against Argentina.

Four against Croatia.

One against Uruguay.

Three against Switzerland.

One against Holland.

Scored in competitive games against Russia, Poland (twice) and Ukraine (not top 10 teams, but certainly reasonable opposition). Also got 6 against Slovenia, Slovakia and Denmark, all of whom have qualified for tournaments in the last 10 years.

That's 22 against either top 10 opposition, or reasonable European teams who have qualified for tournaments in recent years.

Not a bad haul, considering that a low proportion of any national team's games will be against top 10 opponents.

In terms of performances in tournaments: in 2006 he was clearly rushed back far too early from injury - so it is arguably unfair to judge him too harshly in that tournament. In 2010 he was disappointing (I was at all four games and he didn't look fully fit to me, but he has since said it wasn't lack of fitness that was the reason for his poor performances). In the other three tournaments he's played in, he has scored - and in 2004 he was one of the best players in the tournament

Archived