IGNORED

How to leave a football club you've just joined

Marina's Rolls Royce

Well done Jelle Vossen for his apology and dignified exit from Burnley: 

JELLE Vossen has gone back to Belgium, just two months after the striker joined Burnley.

Of his brief, goalless spell with Burnley ending abruptly, Vossen said: “I am very sorry to the fans of Burnley. The move to England on a permanent basis has been tough for me, mostly for family reasons.

“My wife and I were married this summer and immediately have had to leave family and friends behind.

“I had no problems at Burnley or with the people and fans at the club, who made me feel very welcome and for which I thank them.

“However, after discussing things with my family, I feel it is better to make the move now, for the benefit of both parties. I would like to wish Burnley Football Club every success in the future.”

Then there's "our very own" Ryan Fredericks comment:

The player said, "When I heard of the interest from Fulham I jumped at the chance and I'm delighted that we got it done so quickly.

"It's a massive club that belongs back in the Premier League. Fulham's a great area with big fans - it's a good club."

(Just saying like but something smells)

Well done Jelle Vossen for his apology and dignified exit from Burnley: 

JELLE Vossen has gone back to Belgium, just two months after the striker joined Burnley.

Of his brief, goalless spell with Burnley ending abruptly, Vossen said: “I am very sorry to the fans of Burnley. The move to England on a permanent basis has been tough for me, mostly for family reasons.

“My wife and I were married this summer and immediately have had to leave family and friends behind.

“I had no problems at Burnley or with the people and fans at the club, who made me feel very welcome and for which I thank them.

“However, after discussing things with my family, I feel it is better to make the move now, for the benefit of both parties. I would like to wish Burnley Football Club every success in the future.”

Then there's "our very own" Ryan Fredericks comment:

The player said, "When I heard of the interest from Fulham I jumped at the chance and I'm delighted that we got it done so quickly.

"It's a massive club that belongs back in the Premier League. Fulham's a great area with big fans - it's a good club."

(Just saying like but something smells)

Fredericks and the club also said a lot of other stuff as well as your sound byte,  (just saying like).

For balance it should be pointed out he also tweeted this:-

@RyanFredericks_: I wish the club all the best this season, great bunch of lads and enjoyed my short time spent with them.

I don't know where you got the Fulham quote from. Given the fact we don't know anything about the personal circumstances in which he left, I don't think a witch hunt against him is necessary or fair. Otherwise our criticism is founded solely on guesswork. Just because he jumped at the chance to join Fulham doesn't mean his reasons weren't genuine.

Sounds like a relatively stock answer from a new signing to be honest. Not sure where the quote is from but the 'when I heard about the interest from Fulham I jumped at the chance' could very easily have been preceded with something along the lines of 'I wanted a move back to London and so..'

For balance it should be pointed out he also tweeted this:-

@RyanFredericks_: I wish the club all the best this season, great bunch of lads and enjoyed my short time spent with them.

I don't know where you got the Fulham quote from. Given the fact we don't know anything about the personal circumstances in which he left, I don't think a witch hunt against him is necessary or fair. Otherwise our criticism is founded solely on guesswork. Just because he jumped at the chance to join Fulham doesn't mean his reasons weren't genuine.

Fair enough- I didn't see this as I don't follow twitter for personal reasons. The quote came from a London newspaper so you may well be right that it's not in full context but I struggle to find anything more substantive.

My point is that if ( if if if ) Ryan left for reasons of family etc then even his tweet doesn't ( imo ) come close to an official public statement in the way Vossen did. I imagine Burnley fans thought fair enough but I'm not so sure about Ryan- it's not a witch hunt- I just have a sense that there was a lot more to it.

Call me old fashioned but when a  new signing leaves after a few weeks at a point where our transfer strategy is falling apart, I'd just be interested to have a look under the bonnet.

That "x team are a massive club and I jumped at the chance to come here" line is used on every single transfer.

At the end of the day for whatever reason he clearly wasn't 100% happy here and once Fulham were interested it was probably in all parties interest that he went. We might never know the full details why but at least we managed to ship him out rather than have to pay yet another unsettled defender 3 years worth of wages.

That "x team are a massive club and I jumped at the chance to come here" line is used on every single transfer.

At the end of the day for whatever reason he clearly wasn't 100% happy here and once Fulham were interested it was probably in all parties interest that he went. We might never know the full details why but at least we managed to ship him out rather than have to pay yet another unsettled defender 3 years worth of wages.

Well- we've only had one and he couldn't speak English so I can't possibly confirm or deny that players say " Bristol City are a massive club and I jumped at the chance to come here"

Quotes would be really spicy if people just said what they thought.

Something along the lines of 'fulham gave me a route out. Not really where I wanted to end up. The way my head is at the moment, I will give it two weeks but reserve the right to upsticks if things don't turn out right again. Now, what league are we in?'

Something along the lines of 'fulham gave me a route out. Not really where I wanted to end up. The way my head is at the moment, I will give it two weeks but reserve the right to upsticks if things don't turn out right again. Now, what league are we in?'

or perhaps maybe "it's a private family matter".

Haha!

Meanwhile his Agent added" It's a great thing that my clients move club as often as possible what with my new boat and the school fees to pay. Ryan did exactly the right thing for me and two moves from one player in a month is what us agents work so hard for."

or perhaps maybe "it's a private family matter".

or perhaps ......"it's a private family matter but I'd just like to sincerely thank SC and all connected with BCFC for being so understanding and allowing my move to happen so quickly in very difficult circumstances." 

Haha!

Meanwhile his Agent added" It's a great thing that my clients move club as often as possible what with my new boat and the school fees to pay. Ryan did exactly the right thing for me and two moves from one player in a month is what us agents work so hard for."

or perhaps ......"it's a private family matter but I'd just like to sincerely thank SC and all connected with BCFC for being so understanding and allowing my move to happen so quickly in very difficult circumstances." 

Which is pretty much what has been said by all parties.

Es- I've genuinely missed it if he said anything"pretty much" like that. Just show the quote where he did and I'll stop banging on .

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/09/01/fullback-tweets-delight-at-fulham-move-after-less-than-a-month-a/

Cotterill stated that the first he knew was 9.30pm on the Friday, so whatever happened developed vey quickly.

We all secretly know that Fulham wanted Fredericks prior to him signing for us in the summer.  With a little careful negotiation we were at able to sell him on at no net gain/loss to keep on good terms with the Craven Cottage outfit.  Next week, no surprises at all when Matt Smith walks back through the door on a season long loan....

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it :cool:

So he tweeted his thanks to Fulham for making it all happen so quickly and then tweeted his delight at joining them. 

Fair enough then.

Well I would say a lot better than one fantasist who posted his poisoned view from his 'sources' and the first word which was Brentford was wrong, so was more than likely every other word and punctuation mark and then other people who added their 'thoughts' about what they believed happened and then the next 2 or 3 posters added more 'thoughts', to be honest by the end of the thread I was expecting someone at the club to either be arrested for something akin to the Clifton college teacher, human cannabalism, human trafficking, serial killing......................................

Perhaps he just wanted to play with a crap striker, who knows?.

But yet again it seems like it's good to have a conspiracy theory at BCFC.

We all secretly know that Fulham wanted Fredericks prior to him signing for us in the summer.  With a little careful negotiation we were at able to sell him on at no net gain/loss to keep on good terms with the Craven Cottage outfit.  Next week, no surprises at all when Matt Smith walks back through the door on a season long loan....

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it :cool:

Seeing as the longest we can loan someone in 93 days I'd be very surprised if we got Smith on a season long loan.

Unless you think we'd have the league one by 93 days, and therefore our season is over, done & dusted.

Seeing as the longest we can loan someone in 93 days I'd be very surprised if we got Smith on a season long loan.

Unless you think we'd have the league one by 93 days, and therefore our season is over, done & dusted.

Rules are made to be broken.  Just ask Nottingham Forest.

Hopefully we'll have enough points in 93 days to keep us above the bottom three for the remainder of the season.

Belgian guy (or possibly family) was homesick. What can we as a club do to make foreign players fit in? I'm sure the players do their best and hopefully look in to the family situation. More foreign players and some palls from home employed by the club should be a good start 

If all they are willing to give it is a matter of weeks or a couple of months then I'm not sure that the problem necessarily lies with the club. Sure more can be done to assist integration, but at the same time when you relocate I think you need to do so with the knowledge that in the short to medium term it is simply going to be difficult and very challenging  

Yes I'm sure more can be done and I'm not suggesting clubs or Burnley in this instance are necessarily blameless, but frankly I wouldn't bend over backwards for someone who throws in the towel within a matter of several weeks. 

I do appreciate it is difficult having seconded within Europe myself. Sure it's easier being an English speaker but it was still very daunting and there's no way I would've pulled a u-turn so soon. 

Archived