IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

BJS dilemma will be any fight with Canelo would likely be US/Vegas with ODH choice of ref/judges and no way would be get a points decision..

I don't think it's a dilemma as such in that he would have no choice but to go to Vegas to fight Canelo.  Getting a decision over there would be extremely difficult but if he'd get a great pay day and put himself in the shop window for other big fights.

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Ive seen a fair amount of  his fights but cannot actually remember most of them tbh. Did not see that one in the leisure centre that he was apparently poor in. But I don't think billy joe is always that motivated. I think he is now, and he has been in a few other big fights in the past where he has needed to be motivated and has impressed. Just thinking the way he hurt Andy Lee when he floored him early, and eubank jr, who really has a granite chin, seemed to respect Billy Joe's power. I know eubank threw the kitchen sink in the end, but I got the feeling looking at it that billy joe hurt him at times. Not saying he is a massive puncher like canelo, but I think his power will be respected by canelo and he won't be able to just take shots to get his own off like he did against someone like Khan. You're right maybe that wasn't the best example of outboxing canelo. But I think canelo has struggled against trout, and I'm certain he lost to Lara. Both are left handers. And Mayweather completely schooled him for 12 rounds. Billy Joe's superior movement, speed and being a lefty could well be too much imo. Really intriguing fight. 

Hmm, I'm not sure that giving 2 opponents who took him to the cards as examples shows he has underrated power, but I certainly agree with you that he has good movement and speed. As you say, he does seem to be the sort of fighter Canelo can look bad against.

I do wonder if either Canelo or GGG would want to fight BJS next though, given the likelihood of a May rematch between them, he's fairly high on risk  without being any sort of name in the States. You could see him not getting a crack at one if them until late 2018 at the earliest.

So, the Ring Magazine 2017 awards have been announced:

Difficult to argue with given the fight itself and the sheer size of the event imo.

Loma of course won fighter- although without Adalaide Byrd's efforts it might well have gone to GGG

Rest of the awards here: https://www.ringtv.com/525515-ring-magazine-year-end-awards-2017-eight-winners-revealed/

I would say Mikey Garcia's KO of Zlaticanin or Tete's 11 second KO were both better than Lemieux's tbh.

2017 has been a frankly incredible year of boxing, here is the seriously awesome Gorilla Productions showreel:

Amazing stuff. Here's to 2018 chaps!

edit, and GP's ko reel

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

On 12/01/2018 at 12:32, Stortz said:

Looks like GGG Canelo 2 is virtually over the line for Cinco de Mayo!

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/canelo-alvarez-agrees-terms-for-gennady-golovkin-rematch/

This could be decent too

Can Browne can make it to fight night without getting popped for peds though?

Some good fights coming up - I think this will be a decent one. Press conferences will be fun anyway.

The Okolie vs Chamberlain one is also an interesting match up with a good undercard too.

Joshua vs Parker.. not sure what to think. You'd expect another Joshua win but Parker is tough..

On 14/01/2018 at 12:52, Phileas Fogg said:

Some good fights coming up - I think this will be a decent one. Press conferences will be fun anyway.

The Okolie vs Chamberlain one is also an interesting match up with a good undercard too.

Joshua vs Parker.. not sure what to think. You'd expect another Joshua win but Parker is tough..

Absolutely, Okolie Chamberlain is a great fight imo. It's refreshing to see two such highly rated prospects not trying to shield their 0 and getting it on.

Parker throws some very eye catching combinations, but I don't believe he has enough pop to make AJ respect him. I reckon Joshua will walk through him, but he needs to put on a show to sow some doubt in WIlder's mind if possible. It would be good to see Joshua coming in a bit smaller too, he has looked a bit muscle-bound in the last 2 fights.

12 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Hi JJT, hope you're well!

It is a good fight, going to record it and watch in the morning. I fancy Spence to deal with Peterson handily, I think he may be very, very good.

Good mate,yourself?.Think he showed against Kell He could be something special.Peterson is a tough lad tho so it’s not going to be easy

58 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Good mate,yourself?.Think he showed against Kell He could be something special.Peterson is a tough lad tho so it’s not going to be easy

All good thanks mate.

It was a really ruthless dismantling of Brook wasn't it. If Spence does beat Peterson well tonight we have to consider him as top 10 p4p I reckon.

Fury comeback fight announcement in an hour apparently.

To keep his ring mag title it has to be a top 5 opponent I believe, or perhaps a belt holder not sure which. If it's a belt holder then Manuel Charr is the logical one to go for and he's already mentioned his name a few times recently.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

4 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Lovely stuff although ODH has probably got three more bent judges lined up for his pet project 

I fear that the additional 8 months of inactivity at GGG's age may do Mr Fishnet's work for him tbh but hoping otherwise! GGG certainly won't want it anywhere near the judges this time out.

Can't see any news yet @Phileas Fogg

Edited by Stortz

1 minute ago, Stortz said:

I fear that the additional 8 months of inactivity at GGG's age may do Mr Fishnet's work for him tbh but hoping otherwise! GGG certainly won't want it anywhere near the judges this time out.

Nothing yet reported I can see @Phileas Fogg

Haha I bought into the hype - Frank’s big announcement was that Warrington vs Selby is happening at Elland Road! 

It’s a good fight but a bit of a shame for them because given Fury tweeted about ‘big news coming soon’ the same time Frank talked about a 10am announcement everyone assumed it was that!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Haha I bought into the hype - Frank’s big announcement was that Warrington vs Selby is happening at Elland Road! 

It’s a good fight but a bit of a shame for them because given Fury tweeted about ‘big news coming soon’ the same time Frank talked about a 10am announcement everyone assumed it was that!

Ffs Frank!

Selby will toy with Warrington imo, he is massively overrated. Good luck selling out Elland Road for that too, unless tickets are well cheap.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Super said:

Povetkin v Price on the AJ - Parker bill :bored:

Massacre that it will be, it's actually a smart move from Hearn; it gives AJ a legitimate summer fight with Sasha if Wilder maintains his ludicrous demands (if both win of course).

I suppose he has nothing to lose, but it's a bit mean on Price really- his glass mandible was not made for this sort of examination haha.

Dave may keep him off early on, but soon as he gasses, Povetkin will brutalise him.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It's a final payday for Price and everyone involved will know it. There's a 1% chance he catches Povetkin with a big right and does the unthinkable, in which case he then gets to give AJ the easiest night's work he's ever had. 

That would never happen,AJ is box office and will never go back to normal sky which he would have to if he ever fought Price because nobody in their right mind would pay for it and Hearn isn’t a idiot and knows it.