IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And surprise surprise talks started on a re match.

The sport is as bent as ****.

it's becoming a parody of WWE.

That was nailed on well before the fight, unless there was brutal, career ending knockout or embarrassing, massively one sided UD.

I'm as pissed off about the draw as you are, but it was always going to happen more than once. It's just too unusual for 2 such dominant top P4P fighters to be in the same weight division for there to only have been one fight.

4 hours ago, Stortz said:

RIP Jake LaMotta. They don't make them like that any more

Edit- absolutely fantastic article on the St Valentines Day massacre here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/the-balls-of-wrath/2016/feb/08/boxing-sugar-ray-robinson-jake-la-motta-valentine-1951

'You never put me down Ray'

Bought my son Raging Bull for his birthday and watched it with him last week. Forgotten how good it was.  Staggering piece of cinema. I couldn't get my head around how bad it made him  look but that he was a consultant on the film and spent a year training De Niro.  He sums up the conflict inherent in boxing.  Bravery in the ring is rarely reflected outside of it. 

15 hours ago, Stortz said:

That was nailed on well before the fight, unless there was brutal, career ending knockout or embarrassing, massively one sided UD.

I'm as pissed off about the draw as you are, but it was always going to happen more than once. It's just too unusual for 2 such dominant top P4P fighters to be in the same weight division for there to only have been one fight.

Yep and now with the free huge publicity surrounding the controversy, I suppose the route that boxing has taken in recent years the controversy is just a coincidence, that is my point.

23 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Yep and now with the free huge publicity surrounding the controversy, I suppose the route that boxing has taken in recent years the controversy is just a coincidence, that is my point.

I don't really understand what you mean, what route that boxing has taken?

It's always been massively controversial- any sport judged subjectively often is by definition, surely? Given that the actual mob ran it for decades I would suggest it's (generally) more 'honest' now than in the past.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I don't really understand what you mean, what route that boxing has taken?

It's always been massively controversial- any sport judged subjectively often is by definition, surely? Given that the actual mob ran it for decades I would suggest it's (generally) more 'honest' now than in the past.

The route it has taken is akin to WWE and the sensationalisation that so called sport whips up, the Macgregor fight was bad enough, this latest episode smacks to me being staged managed ala WWE, I am waiting for the day when there will be masked boxers or perhaps fake girlfriends with pumped up knockers walking around the ring trying to trip the opponent up.

14 hours ago, The Bard said:

Bought my son Raging Bull for his birthday and watched it with him last week. Forgotten how good it was.  Staggering piece of cinema. I couldn't get my head around how bad it made him  look but that he was a consultant on the film and spent a year training De Niro.  He sums up the conflict inherent in boxing.  Bravery in the ring is rarely reflected outside of it. 

Yeah it's a phenomonal piece of work, Scorsese's and De Niro's finest hours imo. There was an illuminating quote from LaMotta in the BBC's report of his death yesterday:

"After the film debuted, he expressed puzzlement as to why he had allowed his life to be depicted, and even worked on set as a consultant.

"When I saw the film I was upset. I kind of look bad in it," he told a reviewer.

"Then I realised it was true. That's the way it was... It's not the way I am now, but the way I was then.""

I don't think I agree with your last sentence though. I can think of many examples of very brave boxers outside the ring- Emile Griffith and Michael Watson for instance. Certainly there is a destructive element to the personalities of many of those who box too; all too often they are bankrupt and friendless by the end.

Edited by Stortz

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The route it has taken is akin to WWE and the sensationalisation that so called sport whips up, the Macgregor fight was bad enough, this latest episode smacks to me being staged managed ala WWE, I am waiting for the day when there will be masked boxers or perhaps fake girlfriends with pumped up knockers walking around the ring trying to trip the opponent up.

Ah ok, I get you. There's no doubt all the MayMac bollocks was nauseating, I refused to watch it.

That excepted, I think it's just the world we live in rather than boxing per se though; everything is amplified through social media and promoters have realised what a powerful tool it is. I would agree that the massive increase in PPV has made the promotion more strident and the ability to construct narratives around fights is grasped eagerly- but the same thing happens every 'Super Sunday' to promote games between Bournemoth and Huddesfield as epoch shattering clashes.

I don't think you could call the GGG Canelo fight stage managed either, this was two elite fighters trying to do serious damage. The controversy has unfortunately overshadowed what a gripping, compelling fight it actually was imo. There is no way they were holding back shots thinking of the extra $ next time out.

The 'fake girlfriends with pumped up knockers' bit made me laugh, thanks- I don't think we're quite there yet though!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Ah ok, I get you. There's no doubt all the MayMac bollocks was nauseating, I refused to watch it.

That excepted, I think it's just the world we live in rather than boxing per se though; everything is amplified through social media and promoters have realised what a powerful tool it is. I would agree that the massive increase in PPV has made the promotion more strident and the ability to construct narratives around fights is grasped eagerly- but the same thing happens every 'Super Sunday' to promote games between Bournemoth and Huddesfield as epoch shattering clashes.

I don't think you could call the GGG Canelo fight stage managed either, this was two elite fighters trying to do serious damage. The controversy has unfortunately overshadowed what a gripping, compelling fight it actually was imo. There is no way they were holding back shots thinking of the extra $ next time out.

The 'fake girlfriends with pumped up knockers' bit made me laugh, thanks- I don't think we're quite there yet though!

The controversy IMHO is the problem it needs to be thoroughly investigated, was there a reason for the ridiculous score card?, like for instance and just off of the top of my head, certain people making a huge amount of money out of a controversial result and the imminent 2nd fight???? Especially now that all of the necessary publicity is all ready in place.

What next take your kids to a weigh in and allow that kid to kick and punch daddy's opponent?, oh hang on!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The controversy IMHO is the problem it needs to be thoroughly investigated, was there a reason for the ridiculous score card?, like for instance and just off of the top of my head, certain people making a huge amount of money out of a controversial result and the imminent 2nd fight???? Especially now that all of the necessary publicity is all ready in place.

What next take your kids to a weigh in and allow that kid to kick and punch daddy's opponent?, oh hang on!!!!!

The big question is how Byrd got the gig at all when she has had so many stinking cards in the past. To an extent I find the drawn card more suspicious; Byrd had been shown to be incompetent previously, so you half expected it from her, but how Don Trella gave the 7th to Canelo- a round in which he was entirely outclassed and whacked around the ring- is an even bigger mystery. Even Byrd gave that one to GGG! If Trella had, we would be talking abot a GGG SD win- but there would still be another fight in the offing.

Occam's Razor dictates that it was far more likely to be incompetence by both judges rather than machavellian planning involving dozens that got us here. Nefariously setting it all up would be far too much of a financial risk, and all their efforts would have been for nothing from 1 split second punch.

Billy Joe Saunders is going to Billy Joe Saunders unfortunately!

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I got one on bob on kodi,perfect hd but foreign :laugh:

Hey jjt, hope you're well mate!

I reckon Campbell has a sniff of a chance v Linares tonight tbh, think the latter has appreciably slowed down,and Luke is big at the weight too.

The link I posted for Parker Furyabove is direct btw, no kodi required!

3 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Hey jjt, hope you're well mate!

I reckon Campbell has a sniff of a chance v Linares tonight tbh, think the latter has appreciably slowed down,and Luke is big at the weight too.

The link I posted for Parker Furyabove is direct btw, no kodi required!

I'm good mate,don't think he has a hope in hell if I'm honest,very much doubt I will stay up to watch it tho