IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

Absolutely incredible line up at the Stubhub Centre tonight

Easily the card of the year so far imo. Chocolatito Rungvisai 2 is going to be flat out amazing and Cuadras Estrada is a proper Mexican grudge fight. Inoue is a monstrous puncher making his US debut and the winners are all fighting each other. Cannot bloody wait- this then the big ******* one next Saturday make this the best week of boxing I can remember.

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Wow so is that the end of Gonzalez? Honestly thought he'd have beater Flloyd's 50-0 before these two bouts. 

I reckon. He seems to have aged overnight, Rungvasi monstered him. Maybe 115 was a weight too far.

It was an exciting fight while it lasted though, and Estrada v Cuadras was even better- Buffer reading the result out the wrong way around on his first attempt notwithstanding. Rungvasi v Estrada is mandated now, and would be a cracker.

Latest scrap to be announced is KSI v Joe Weller. 2 YouTubers who spend most of their days rapping about one another or making FIFA videos...

It all kicked off at the presser today though when KSI was pushed by Joe and KSI threw a security guard and one of Joe's entourage to the floor.

Both as bad as one another. Both a pair of idiots. But this KSI lad looks tasty so wouldn't shock me if this Joe fella gets his arse handed to him...

211:00 in if anyone wants to watch the handbags... :handbags:

On 10/09/2017 at 19:17, Septic Peg said:

Latest scrap to be announced is KSI v Joe Weller. 2 YouTubers who spend most of their days rapping about one another or making FIFA videos...

It all kicked off at the presser today though when KSI was pushed by Joe and KSI threw a security guard and one of Joe's entourage to the floor.

Both as bad as one another. Both a pair of idiots. But this KSI lad looks tasty so wouldn't shock me if this Joe fella gets his arse handed to him...

What the **** did I just watch?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stortz said:

Ironically I am precluded from doing so by my own birthday celebrations! Balls.

Not long until the big one now...

Once bitten, twice shy...

In 1985 I was convinced that Hearns had enough to defeat Hagler, how wrong I was.

After embarking on a massive tour to publicise the event, both admitted they became sick of the sight of each other, so much so that when they fought all tactics went out of the window.

Now I'm not saying GGG v Canelo will be such a brutal 'slug-fest' but it has all the makings of a classic..

At the moment, I'm going for GGG late stoppage or points...

On 9 September 2017 at 09:58, Stortz said:

Absolutely incredible line up at the Stubhub Centre tonight

Easily the card of the year so far imo. Chocolatito Rungvisai 2 is going to be flat out amazing and Cuadras Estrada is a proper Mexican grudge fight. Inoue is a monstrous puncher making his US debut and the winners are all fighting each other. Cannot bloody wait- this then the big ******* one next Saturday make this the best week of boxing I can remember.

Caught this card belatedly, more Superfly's than a Suger hill Gang reunion concert.

Inoue looks a massive puncher at that weight.

:clapping:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Caught this card belatedly, more Superfly's than a Suger hill Gang reunion concert.

Inoue looks a massive puncher at that weight.

:clapping:

Hey mate, hope you're well.

It was a great card wasn't it! Cuadras Estrada was a straiight up war- Estrada Rungvasi would be mint.

A lot of people think Canelo GGG could go the Hagler/ Hearns route and there is absolutely no doubt that they'll plant their feet and exchange from fairly early on. Their styles should make for an exceptional fight- I saw Bunce calling it the fight of the decade on the BBC and I don't think he's wrong.

Canelo seems to be the pick many are making but, like you, I think Gennady will have too much for him down the stretch. I can't be completely sure that's my head talking though because I actually love GGG haha. He certainly won't lose through a lack of dedication; he missed his daughter's birth this week because he is so fixated on the fight.

BIG DRAMA SHOW!

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 2

Really looking forward to Saturday, enjoyed watching the Saunders build up today, the final Press Conference was hilarious in parts. Happy to see Saunders back but worried there might be an upset. There's a bizarre interview on Youtube from yesterday with Monroe Jr where he cries all the way through it. He seems a decent guy though to be fair.

Gonna set the alarm for the big one, I'm going for GGG in the 10th.

1 hour ago, Owl Visiting said:

Really looking forward to Saturday, enjoyed watching the Saunders build up today, the final Press Conference was hilarious in parts. Happy to see Saunders back but worried there might be an upset. There's a bizarre interview on Youtube from yesterday with Monroe Jr where he cries all the way through it. He seems a decent guy though to be fair.

That's exactly the way I'm seeing it too mate, but I may be biased haha.

I'm getting more excited by the day tbh. Mundo v Skoglund is on ITV4 on Saturday night too, boxing galore!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stortz said:

Hey mate, hope you're well.

It was a great card wasn't it! Cuadras Estrada was a straiight up war- Estrada Rungvasi would be mint.

A lot of people think Canelo GGG could go the Hagler/ Hearns route and there is absolutely no doubt that they'll plant their feet and exchange from fairly early on. Their styles should make for an exceptional fight- I saw Bunce calling it the fight of the decade on the BBC and I don't think he's wrong.

Canelo seems to be the pick many are making but, like you, I think Gennady will have too much for him down the stretch. I can't be completely sure that's my head talking though because I actually love GGG haha. He certainly won't lose through a lack of dedication; he missed his daughter's birth this week because he is so fixated on the fight.

BIG DRAMA SHOW!

Great mate hope you are well also..

enjoyed the card also the next gen show, reminds me of the small hall shows The Beeb and ITV used to broadcast  years ago..

I sort of understand why people are going for Canelo as GGG didn't look good v DJ But is he the same as Ken Norton to Ali, an anomaly?Or did he just underestimate him,,well soon see.

4 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Alright mate, I'm sure BJS has to be in top shape if Ingles trained him, if he is it should be no contest,  also I feel it's Calum Smiths time to shine, next 18 months massive for him.

13 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Great mate hope you are well also..

enjoyed the card also the next gen show, reminds me of the small hall shows The Beeb and ITV used to broadcast  years ago..

I sort of understand why people are going for Canelo as GGG didn't look good v DJ But is he the same as Ken Norton to Ali, an anomaly?Or did he just underestimate him,,well soon see.

Yes all good thanks- even better in approximately 41 hours! Pub for pre game booze from midday tomorrow, it's going to be a long day/ night haha.

Proper goosebumps watching this one ^^^

On 10/09/2017 at 19:17, Septic Peg said:

No way this should be on the boxing thread!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Yes all good thanks- even better in approximately 41 hours! Pub for pre game booze from midday tomorrow, it's going to be a long day/ night haha.

Proper goosebumps watching this one ^^^

Looking forward to this one. Got no idea who will win, prefer GGG so hoping it'll be him. Just good to see this type of fight being made.

I see the Wilder vs Ortiz fight is being moved to next year - that's a shame, would've been a good fight. Quite interested to see how Joe Joyce gets on vs Ian Lewison - that's a hard fight for his pro-debut. 

41 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Looking forward to this one. Got no idea who will win, prefer GGG so hoping it'll be him. Just good to see this type of fight being made.

I see the Wilder vs Ortiz fight is being moved to next year - that's a shame, would've been a good fight. Quite interested to see how Joe Joyce gets on vs Ian Lewison - that's a hard fight for his pro-debut. 

Where did you see that about WIlder Ortiz mate? I thought it was virtually done for 04/12? Like you, I hope it comes off- it sets up a fight between the winner and AJ next summer nicely too.

There's a lot of talk about your pal Big Baby Miller fighting Dillian Whyte on the AJ undercard after Browne shit out. That is a great fight, it would blow Joshua Pulev out of the water on the night imo.

Edit-Yeah, fair play to Joyce, no mucking about!

Edited by Stortz

7 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Where did you see that about WIlder Ortiz mate? I thought it was virtually done for 04/12? Like you, I hope it comes off- it sets up a fight between the winner and AJ next summer nicely too.

Actually maybe I was wrong about that - saw it on Boxing24 and was about to post the link but seems it's just a rumour. It's to do with the fight clashing with an NFL game. Really hope it happens though.

7 minutes ago, Stortz said:

There's a lot of talk about your pal Big Baby Miller fighting Dillian Whyte on the AJ undercard after Browne shit out. That is a great fight, it would blow Joshua Pulev out of the water on the night imo.

Edit-Yeah, fair play to Joyce, no mucking about!

Saw that, would be brilliant. Apparently Whyte has blocked Miller on social media so I see they're already stoking the fire for a fight. Would be a good fight, two very tough durable guys. Hopefully would rival Chisora Whyte.

So excited now,I've even payed for this one just in case the streams play up and this is one we can't miss or have Michael buffering issues.I'm with @Stortz hope ggg wins but has looked a bit sloppy and waining last two fights albeit against 2 good boxers,still I think he is to good for a flat footed canelo but it will be exciting for sure

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I genuinely can't call it. It'll be brilliant though, regardless of the result. Normally don't bother with PPV and will just look for streams but I'm not taking any chances with this.

Would love Saunders to get KO'd but it's not happening. Hopefully that pleasure will be fulfilled when he gets the winner of Canelo-GGG in a cash-out retirement fight. Can't see anything other than Callum Smith winning with an early KO. Yarde the same.

Lomanchenko vs Rigondeaux just confirmed as well, that is a great fight. 2017 has been an outstanding year for big fights getting made, despite the freakshow the other week.

• Like 3

Meanwhile, Fury-Parker has sold under 3k tickets, according to Bob Arum on NZ radio yesterday. And there'll probably be about the same number of paying punters on Youtube as there will be in the arena. Apparently Hennessey was actually handing out leaflets the other week, promoting a legitimate heavyweight title fight in the same way that people advertise a new takeaway. It has financial disaster written all over it as Fat Mick has already coughed up $1.5m for Parker's purse, which is held in escrow (so even a late pull out won't save him). No one from NZ was getting on a plane until that money showed up, given previous Fury antics.

I can only think they're basically writing this one off and banking on a Hughie win leading to big money domestic fights in the future. If Parker flattens him though, it's game over and they're all absolutely screwed.

5 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I genuinely can't call it. It'll be brilliant though, regardless of the result. Normally don't bother with PPV and will just look for streams but I'm not taking any chances with this.

Would love Saunders to get KO'd but it's not happening. Hopefully that pleasure will be fulfilled when he gets the winner of Canelo-GGG in a cash-out retirement fight. Can't see anything other than Callum Smith winning with an early KO. Yarde the same.

Lomanchenko vs Rigondeaux just confirmed as well, that is a great fight. 2017 has been an outstanding year for big fights getting made, despite the freakshow the other week.

Just saw that mate, fantastic! @Tomarse will be delighted! Madison Square Garden, 09/12 at 130lbs. What a year for boxing!

3k tickets for Fury Parker haha, looks like the end for Henessey tbh, he's paying big bucks to bring Parker over here.

@joe jordans teeth, GGG did look sub par v Jacobs but I think he was a bit blindsided by Jacobs skipping the IBF check weight on the morning of the fight. By not competing for the IBF belt Jacobs was able to rehydrate massively for hours more than GGG and was about light heavy by fight night. As a reslut of that bit of chicanery, the IBF have dropped their check weight rule in unification bouts.

I'm also enjoying the hints Gennady is dropping that he was a bit shit on purpose to lure in Canelo- although no doubt it's just mind games.

Weigh ins live in one hour here:

On 14/09/2017 at 21:23, B1ackbird said:

Alright mate, I'm sure BJS has to be in top shape if Ingles trained him, if he is it should be no contest,  also I feel it's Calum Smiths time to shine, next 18 months massive for him.

Yeah, he looks in the best shape I've ever seen him in. I just worry slightly about the ring rust.

Some great boxers have come out of the Wincobank gym, Brendan Ingle is a real legend up here. It's a bit strange though in the fact that although Sheffield has produced some really good fighters, there hasn't really been one that the whole city has got behind and taken an army of fans everywhere like the Mancs with Hatton or to a lesser extent when you see the Scousers getting behind the Smith brothers or Bellew.

Nas is probably the only one up here who everyone knows, the likes of Brook, Rhodes, Woods, Nelson didn't have that huge personality that is needed to make you a household name.

Edited by Owl Visiting
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Stortz said:

Thanks for that - very interesting reading. I was hoping he'd do one for this fight. Good explanation of why the matchup of styles should make it such a spectacle.

Saw the weigh in, not much to read from it. Both look in great condition coming in bang on 160. Excited for this.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Thanks for that - very interesting reading. I was hoping he'd do one for this fight. Good explanation of why the matchup of styles should make it such a spectacle.

Saw the weigh in, not much to read from it. Both look in great condition coming in bang on 160. Excited for this.

No worries mate, shame it's not a full primer one like the Big Silly Fight a couple of weeks ago but apparently it was commissioned too late by Vice.

They both looked ripped to shreds eh. I've never seen Canelo look so bulky though and some people are speculating he may have over- trained. We'll find out in about 20 hours!

Like others on here in not risking a stream tonight- I just hope Boxnation don't balls up their first PPV...