IGNORED

Partnering Kodjia with Flint up front ?

bcfcnick

Think that being we've Agard, Robinson, Burns and Wilbraham as options up front, it's a no from me.

Flint is needed at the back right now, which is really where the work has to be done; think Kodjia is going to do just fine whoever we play him with.

Not getting completely on the original poster, as they explain their reasoning, but think it's not a stretch to suggest this is pretty kneejerk; folks need to relax.

Flint is always up there for corners and free kicks anyway, not sure if mazy runs into the box with the ball at his feet is really him. Don't fit square pegs into round holes, if we need a 6'5" for this role I think we can loan one who would be equally as good as Flint would be.

29AR, well, on the one hand you argue that Flint's lack of pace will let him down in a Wilbraham role and simultaneously think his lack of pace as a defender isn't an issue.

Lambert hasn't done too badly and he's no prize athlete destined for 100m sprint records.   Goal scorers don't always have the complete array of skills that others do but they do have that elusive eye for goal and taking up positions in space to give them goal-scoring opportunities. in many ways and in the transfer market they become prized valuable assets than those with a more all-round set of skills.  Of course Flint is a no nonsense player who wouldn't top the team poll for aesthetic appeal. He is effective though and people under-rate him .... anyone who saw his over-head bicycle kick effort that nearly scored would realise that he isn't such a basic footballer as people make out.  He has an eye for goal, is effective and can hit the back of the net. I suspect many a centre half at Championship level wouldn't enjoy a 90 minute battle with Aden.

Not only did Gary Johnson use this ploy to great effect as previously mentioned on here, it even paid off at Premier League Middlesboro for us in the cup, but the Great Brian Clough used to put centre back Kenny Burns up front from the outset for many a match and that guy did terrorize defences and score regularly including the occasional hat trick. That team twice won the European Cup. I fail to understand the ridicule on here for this suggestion. 

Kenny Burns started out as a CF though, got converted by Clough to a defender who then switched him back, not the same thing really.

Kek ny Burns started out as a CF though, got converted by Clough to a defender who then switched him back, not the same thing really.

ok I was a bit economical with the truth. How about Ray Cashley being a full back converted into a goalkeeper at City. That was in the days before the pass back rule, reckon he would've been an even better keeper had that rule been in effect back then as he was originally an outfield player unlike 99.99% of goalkeepers.

29AR, well, on the one hand you argue that Flint's lack of pace will let him down in a Wilbraham role and simultaneously think his lack of pace as a defender isn't an issue.

I don't as it happens because one involves running with the ball at your feet and the other involves chasing a bloke who is also concentrating on trying to control a ball. It's simply dribbling v running, two very different skill sets.

Lambert hasn't done too badly and he's no prize athlete destined for 100m sprint records.   Goal scorers don't always have the complete array of skills that others do but they do have that elusive eye for goal and taking up positions in space to give them goal-scoring opportunities. in many ways and in the transfer market they become prized valuable assets than those with a more all-round set of skills. 

I agree. But its quite one thing to attack an area of the box where you know the ball will be played into and quite another to show guile and industry to create your own chance like Lambert does time after time. And what Lambert lacks he excels in other areas, such as his finesse because he is a very technically gifted player.

Of course Flint is a no nonsense player who wouldn't top the team poll for aesthetic appeal. He is effective though and people under-rate him .... anyone who saw his over-head bicycle kick effort that nearly scored would realise that he isn't such a basic footballer as people make out.  He has an eye for goal, is effective and can hit the back of the net. I suspect many a centre half at Championship level wouldn't enjoy a 90 minute battle with Aden.

Not sure what aesthetics have to do with it. AF is a firm fan's favourite notwithstanding a very difficult start to his Bristol City career. If he was not endearing towards fans he wouldn't have had the time of the day. As for a bicycle kick isolated examples don't really demonstrate anything. What about the miskicks I could point to in order to suggest he is a basic footballer? As for an eye for goal again sorry fella I just don't see it. I'll say again, running towards the six yard box during a corner or a freekick and then powering a header towards a great big net is not an eye for a goal. I'm not belittling it, but let's not lose sight of what his task actually is and what his blatant limitations are. If he showed any real comfort with the ball at his feet or composure when surrounded by men to make a pass it then I might agree... but I just do not understand what you are seeing.

That Kevin Phillips, what a ridiculous idea that was to experiment and  play him out of his natural position as full-back all those years ago.  He would never have the height or work-rate for him to convert and play up front successfully.

Or even worse - persuading Ray Cashley to switch from full back to goalkeeper.  

Not convinced Flint can provide the spark we require up front for 90mins tbh.. pushing forward as and when the opportunity arises for short spells when appropriate is best I think. 

Players respond differently when asked to play 'out of position' what would happen if Flinty went 'on strike' ? 

State of our defending so far this season it appears more 'thinking inside the box' rather than out of it would help!  :)

Now that we have extra experienced cover at the back I wouldn't mind seeing this as last resort tactics or bring back Vasko!!!!

I'm hoping though that we just sort ourselves out. I'm sure if we had landed another striker more of the chances created would have gone in, by which point we would have been 2 up rather than 2 down in a lot of games

I got a good laugh out of this one.

Flint has got very little close control, no experience of positioning up front, holding the ball up or flicking the ball on, very little ability to move with the ball and is not noted for his shooting skills.

Meaningless comparisons with other players (who are notably not Aden Flint and therefore irrelevant) there is literally nothing to recommend him for playing up front other than "he's a bit big".  I think the Championship quite clearly requires a little more than height...

If you think Wilbraham's form is poor (I don't, I just think we're playing better defenders) then Flint up front would be an order of magnitude worse.  Were we desperate for a centre forward we should be using the loan market not dreaming up mental ideas like this.

Flint lacks the technical skills to play up front when he gets the ball now under no pressure his first thoughts are to pass to ayling or Williams! under pressure he's made some mistakes dodgy back pass for port vale to score! 

Putting him up front just for flick ons is one dimensional and a waste if he can't do nothing else and it will weaken us at the back were we've been dodgiest! 

so you're smoking crack! ;)

it will weaken us at the back were we've been dodgiest! 

so you're smoking crack! ;)

That comment made me chuckle even without taking the crack you allude to :-)  I guess you have smoked it already.

Maybe you're right though,  we better not tinker with a defence that ships three or four goals on a weekly basis! 

The only crack around is the gaping one that appears regularly in our back three.  Aden had a great game against Burnley but aside from that he has struggled  marshalling the defence.  Positionally the back three have not come to terms with the more intelligent movement of forward players in the Championship. 

Any defensive player that can score 15 goals in a competitive league without taking penalties really shouldn't be so readily dismissed as a potential attacking force that would bring an improvement on the struggling Wilbraham.  It's an astonishing feat.  Name me another centre back in the last 20 years who has done that.

Cotterill will always play a target man although personally I'd like to see Agard and Kidjia play together.  Given the limited resources in the squad, it's either bring in a journeyman striker on loan or be bold and try Aden.   People call for someone with accomplished forward skills and no doubt the likes of Steve Jones and Ryan Taylor were more 'polished' and would have been met with approval but did they effect games?  Did they score goals?  I'd rather a committed and less technically accomplished player who can effect the game and bring a decent goals to games ratio to the team.

Aden would still be able to come back and help out at the defensive set pieces.  So, arguably, it would strengthen our defence as a team unit.  It would be more than amusing if SC tried it and Aden scored a hat-trick.  He's done that from defence in league one (including a brilliant volley) so there's no reason why he wouldn't add goals to the front line and a more effective physical presence for the brilliant Kodjia to benefit from.

Those who dismissed this idea perhaps a bit too readily might have been interested to hear LJ in his press conference considering a Kodjia / Flint partnership!  Flint scored a great striker goal v Wolves getting in the end of a defence splitting Joe Bryan pass.

7 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Those who dismissed this idea perhaps a bit too readily might have been interested to hear LJ in his press conference considering a Kodjia / Flint partnership!  Flint scored a great striker goal v Wolves getting in the end of a defence splitting Joe Bryan pass.

Absolute madness

Lee J is not suggesting starting the match with Flint as a forward. He just said it's an option if City are losing, with 20 minutes to go, which makes sense. It could be dangerous with Ayling injured, as it would weaken the defence, but when he returns, why not? There have been other players who have changed from defender to forward, but the only City centre half I can remember starting as a centre forward is Jack Connor. The then City manager, Fred Ford, said he was the best centre forward available, but the experiment only lasted one match. 

Putting someone up front for the last 10-15 minutes of a game - as LJ said - is not the same as playing them there from the start. It's not really a story, the Post are picking up on something LJ said which Stockhausen knows as well as the rest of us is routine, and making it into something it's not.

1 minute ago, Red_Nine said:

Did we not put Vasko up top on a numerous amount of occasions?

Vasko played as a striker when things were going badly, but he never started as a forward. 

Archived