IGNORED

Partnering Kodjia with Flint up front ?

bcfcnick

Note the question mark as it's obviously a controversial thought.  Maybe worth a try for two or three games in the absence of bringing in someone who can play Wilbraham's role?   I do think Kodijia needs a different partner and, yes, Agard, would be a hard working and selfless player who might gel and provide the opportunities. I think Cotterill likes to play with a big guy up front though and, who knows, stranger things have happened, Flint might just be the answer.

Reasoning for would be:-

A few centre backs have converted to be prolific strikers and vice versa.

I'd like to see the stats for all centre half's scoring records (excluding penalties) in the last ten years and I suspect Flint would be very high if not top of the table. It was an extraordinary achievement. Clearly he has a natural eye for goal.

Under Cotterill and the players we have it wouldn't necessarily mean us hoofing up to Aden anymore than it would for Wilbraham.

It's not working at this stage with Flint at the back and Wilbraham up front in the Championship. Dropping Wilbraham to the bench and putting Flint upfront could be one of those master strokes. 

Kodjia would benefit from the inevitable flick-ons from Flint that are not currently coming off for Aaron Wilbraham.

It wouldn't weaken us defensively as Flint playing as centre forward an still defend at the back for set pieces.

It's not as if we would be breaking up a water tight defensive unit.

A vacancy at the back might enable the new defenders to play in roles they are better suited to.  The position might suit Baker.

He has played up front towards the end of games before and created danger when we have been chasing games.

Reasoning against would be :-

He might not be willing to try it.

Flint got his goals as he wasn't marked by seasoned defenders as he would be (with higher Championship quality) if he moved up. He might be more likely to score more from the back on that basis.

He had a great season defensively last season and he is needed to lead the back three if we retain a 3-5-2 formation.

His goals came from set pieces and he can still go up for those set pieces now.

GK Reid (agile)

LB Wilbs (good aerial presence for long diagonal balls across to the left)

CB Kodjia (pace to deal with pacy strikers)

CB Bryan (great leaping ability)

RB Freeman (good trickery for attacks down the right hand side)

DMC Fielding (distribution improving)

LW Ayling (putting a right footed player on the left would surely outfox the opposition)

CM Agard (runs around tirelessly)

RW Dereck Williams (see LW)

ST Flint (c) (good aerial presence for knock downs)

ST Smith (did you see his finish against Cheltenham?)

Sorted. Championship champions 2015/16!

Predictable and yawn inducing responses to a reasoned post that expressed a question mark and the pitfalls as well as the potentially positive possibilities for a think outside of the box view.  Fordy's responses made me smile  - I suspect a gold fish with severe learning issues might come up with more amusing and less predictable responses.

Here's a long line of other who players who have fulfilled a dual role (centre back or centre forward) and there are many players who are devoid of silky skills who have a great goals to game ratio. These type of players have made an ideal partner providing space and flick-ons for those that have and for the likes of Kodjia and Freeman to take advantage.  Not saying it is the answer but I'd be fascinated to see it or a two game experiment.   It's not outside the scope of Cotterill's thinking wither as he has used Flint  up front before  to cause havoc (successfully) when we have chased games.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/lists/88416/top-10-strikers-turned-centre-halves-from-warhurst-to-berbatov-photos.html?pid=11837#img

Didn't do too badly here or all season in terms of hitting the back of the net.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Aden-Flint-hat-trick-unbelievable-says-Bristol/story-26435067-detail/story.html

Well, I'm going to go against the grain here as I don't think it is that outlandish a suggestion. Maybe not start Flint up front, but I wouldn't mind seeing him up top for the last 20 mins or so if needs be.

If Gary Johnson was still here he would have probably tried it already (remember McCombe being sent up front on many an occasion).

As the OP says, Flint has an eye for goal.

Note the question mark as it's obviously a controversial thought.  Maybe worth a try for two or three games in the absence of bringing in someone who can play Wilbraham's role?   I do think Kodijia needs a different partner and, yes, Agard, would be a hard working and selfless player who might gel and provide the opportunities. I think Cotterill likes to play with a big guy up front though and, who knows, stranger things have happened, Flint might just be the answer.

Reasoning for would be:-

A few centre backs have converted to be prolific strikers and vice versa.

I'd like to see the stats for all centre half's scoring records (excluding penalties) in the last ten years and I suspect Flint would be very high if not top of the table. It was an extraordinary achievement. Clearly he has a natural eye for goal.

Under Cotterill and the players we have it wouldn't necessarily mean us hoofing up to Aden anymore than it would for Wilbraham.

It's not working at this stage with Flint at the back and Wilbraham up front in the Championship. Dropping Wilbraham to the bench and putting Flint upfront could be one of those master strokes. 

Kodjia would benefit from the inevitable flick-ons from Flint that are not currently coming off for Aaron Wilbraham.

It wouldn't weaken us defensively as Flint playing as centre forward an still defend at the back for set pieces.

It's not as if we would be breaking up a water tight defensive unit.

A vacancy at the back might enable the new defenders to play in roles they are better suited to.  The position might suit Baker.

He has played up front towards the end of games before and created danger when we have been chasing games.

Reasoning against would be :-

He might not be willing to try it.

Flint got his goals as he wasn't marked by seasoned defenders as he would be (with higher Championship quality) if he moved up. He might be more likely to score more from the back on that basis.

He had a great season defensively last season and he is needed to lead the back three if we retain a 3-5-2 formation.

His goals came from set pieces and he can still go up for those set pieces now.

Well at least you've started a controversial thread !!! 

Predictable and yawn inducing responses to a reasoned post that expressed a question mark and the pitfalls as well as the potentially positive possibilities for a think outside of the box view.  Fordy's responses made me smile  - I suspect a gold fish with severe learning issues might come up with more amusing and less predictable responses.

Here's a long line of other who players who have fulfilled a dual role (centre back or centre forward) and there are many players who are devoid of silky skills who have a great goals to game ratio. These type of players have made an ideal partner providing space and flick-ons for those that have and for the likes of Kodjia and Freeman to take advantage.  Not saying it is the answer but I'd be fascinated to see it or a two game experiment.   It's not outside the scope of Cotterill's thinking wither as he has used Flint  up front before  to cause havoc (successfully) when we have chased games.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/lists/88416/top-10-strikers-turned-centre-halves-from-warhurst-to-berbatov-photos.html?pid=11837#img

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Aden-Flint-hat-trick-unbelievable-says-Bristol/story-26435067-detail/story.html

I know you have to defend your initial post mate, but it is absolutely ludicrous. It's one thing sticking a centre half up top when you're chasing the game, but to suggest he tries him there for a couple of games is more moronic than most things ever posted on here. This isn't pre season.

Pretty much every single one of Flinty's goals came from set pieces. Yes he had a cracking season for goals, but what have you seen in him (other then ability at set pieces) to make you think he'd be capable. What's more, you be taking away our best defender. 

So as for my 'yawn inducing comments' fair enough, but I'd rather that than be the author of the original nonsense.

Flint is only a danger from set plays, he's not going to be a threat to any defence when we're countering or trying to hold the ball up against two defenders. He's also not going to be beating anyone with ball on the ground. That being said he's probably not going to be any worse than Wilbs has been so far this season.

But the biggest problem I'd have with it is further weakening a defence which has looked quite frankly inept at the best of times this season.

Not only did Gary Johnson use this ploy to great effect as previously mentioned on here, it even paid off at Premier League Middlesboro for us in the cup, but the Great Brian Clough used to put centre back Kenny Burns up front from the outset for many a match and that guy did terrorize defences and score regularly including the occasional hat trick. That team twice won the European Cup. I fail to understand the ridicule on here for this suggestion. 

Fordy, you've obviously unaware of what a question mark implies even when it's drawn to your attention that the question mark is there.

If you research on google the implication of a question mark, you might appreciate that I am not advocatng it but just putting up for a bit of amusement and discussion on the pros and cons.  It's hardly a surreal idea given his goals tally last year and the issue we face.  Fair point that it might weaken the defence but I think Baker might relish the current role Aden Flint plays.

It's not working with Wilbraham up front and there is an outside chance (I'll repeat 'outside chance' for the 'hard of reading') that Flint would be an improvement and create space for our ball playing creative players to find space and goals.  Steve Cotterill will always play with a big man up front so, given that is almost an inevitability, do you suggest he sticks with Wilbs in the absence of a loan signing.  I'd prefer to see Agard link with Kodjia but Cotterill is likely to stick with a tall target man so, in the absence of any alternative,  why not try Flint for a couple of games rather than stick with a failing partnership.

There are a history of players who don't aren't exactly sure what they are doing in a given position who can cause havoc because they are unpredictable to the opposition as well as themselves - obviously a different category but the likes of Bolasie area an example and he was written of here.  I saw him score a great goal that helped keep us up in that Championship season and was dismayed when he was sold.  No doubt you and others would have been qiock to sound off and been dismissive if I had written how much I rated him. 

Joe Bryan gets a lot of crosses into the box and someone like Flint with an eye for goal could get on the end of them or provide a knock-on for the array of attacking players who don't take up those instinctive goal-scoring positions. 

Yes he has scored his goals from set plays because he is only in the opposition half for set plays!  Suggesting that a player can't score goals when the player is not in an area of the pitch to have the opportunity to score is far more of a ludicrous point than my original 'out of the box' post.  A post raised the point for discussion rather than completely advocated it.

So you believe at this level Flint has the requisite skills to hold up the ball, see what's around him and offer a link in play? That his pace won't get him found out, and that the opposition could quite frankly sit off him with the ball to his feet and simply close down all his options. I think it would be suicide because we would simply not keep the ball in the opposition's half and would just encourage attack after attack after attack.

Yes there are players who can switch from back to front but those are typically technically competent footballers. I'm a fan of Aden's and I think he's certainly enough in the locker to play CB at this level, but I think he is woefully short for what you suggest.

I don't think your original post was reasoned simply because you ignored: lack of ball skills, lack of pace, lack of vision, lack of closeness of control and first touch also. And whilst we have seen him win headers and power them towards the goal, I've not seen him consistently winning flick ons or directing well weighted headers into a teammates path. I see no reasoning why you or anyone for that matter could think he might do better than Wilbraham can in the same position or role?

Flint may be a useful option up there when chasing a game, sure, but in terms of a 90 minute game I can't see any logic in the suggestion.

Archived